Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I never understood why guys shoot squirrels just to shoot them

Maybe it's time to get a .17HMR or a better .22LR than what I have!
I have a nice Savage 17HMR that I keep close by for such varmints. I use the suppressor off of my 243, so you can imagine that it's very quiet. Deadly accurate, combined with quiet is a great combo! :cool: I highly recommend getting one!!! 💯
Savage Sig 2.jpg

Reactions: Big H and P8riot

P8riot

Carbon, In
I was also looking into a break barrel .25 cal pellet gun. They seem to have come a long way since my last break barrel 10+ years ago.

Should handle anything around the house quietly without having to #1 go through the process of a suppressor or #2 needing to grab ear protection with the rifle. I hate having to warn the wife and have the dogs go nuts.

Same place as the OG posters title.

We have a log cabin in the woods. Lived with them in relative harmony. Would let the dogs keep them out of the bird feeders, and did shoot the reds. Not sure why, but after 23 yrs of living here, they decided they would start chewing the metal screens and frames. felt bad, as theyre big grays but the treaty was broken and the body count has favored the M&MS colored loose shotgun shell bin and not the furry assed rats.

P8riot

Carbon, In
I suppose the peace treaty hasn't been broken yet. That cam is in enemy territory. Maybe they just wanted to send a message I would receive. They are safe until they destroy something within the perimeter of the cut grass. If that happens I will have contained my rage for as long as possible, but I will unleash my fury upon them like the crashing of a thousand waves.

I am already at war with the mice in the garage and in my attic. I can't stave off a two sided attack at this point. 😆

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have a nice Savage 17HMR that I keep close by for such varmints. I use the suppressor off of my 243, so you can imagine that it's very quiet. Deadly accurate, combined with quiet is a great combo! :cool: I highly recommend getting one!!! 💯
View attachment 192466
be careful, rimfire rounds are notoriously dirty and can slowly build up crud in that suppressor which will ruin it, that's why rimfire cans are user serviceable

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I have to consistently keep them thinned out around here. Sometimes I'll look out my office window and see 7-8 in the front yard then there will be 10+ in the back yard. I've shot about 7 in the last week and still have 4-5 in the backyard. My neighbors who don't shoot them are both having problems with squirrels in their soffit.
I’ve been in attics and seen where the bastards chewed all the outer sheath from the phone wires and electric. It was amazing that they never got zapped. Also seen where they took every bit of insulation and made nests in each corner or the attic….wasnt a bit of insulation anywhere else. They usually walk the electrical wires from the poles to the house.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I’ve been in attics and seen where the bastards chewed all the outer sheath from the phone wires and electric. It was amazing that they never got zapped. Also seen where they took every bit of insulation and made nests in each corner or the attic….wasn't a bit of insulation anywhere else. They usually walk the electrical wires from the poles to the house.
Another reason for buried utilities…..

Buddy's golf bag. They tore up his golf towel that hung over this area first. When he opened the pocket the baggie you see sticking out had a candy bar in it. They never touched that. He kept it in the same spot every winter in his garage. This was the first time in 30 years this happened to him...
I told him he needs to fire his 2 cats!

Attachments

• mouse.JPG
    mouse.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 30