Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jackalope's Huntin Log.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Too dark... Still legal light but because of the 2nd canopy of honeysuckle and him being on a east facing slope i couldn't see his rack in the shadows. Big body though.. He cam in at about 15-20 yards. Stood in my shooting lane for a couple minutes. I could see horns. But wasn't sure if it was the smaller 120 class 8 i had seen earlier go the way he had came from... He went up to the top of the hill to about 45 yards on the edge if a field and made a scrape.. It was through some brush but i could see him as he lifted his head for the licking branch. SON OF A BITCH! Should have smoked him.... Oh we'll could have just as easily been that small 8.. Talk about a disappointment that would have been at the end of that track job.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
JD..

That sound he made was indeed a buck roar.. He was down in that honeysuckle rooting around where that small 120 class was dogging that yearling doe.. He was in there maybe 30 minutes after that buck and doe left.... Go to the 2:50 second mark. Right after that doe blows that's the EXACT belching sound that deer made. Scared the living shit out of me. I hadn't see the deer yet when he did that maybe 20 yards away. I immediately ran through my head WTF it could be.. Yote? Too small.. Bear? Not around here... Fuuuuuuggggg BigFoot!

[video=youtube;ZdEIu3mGJq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdEIu3mGJq4[/video]

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Cause I'm back! Back in the saddle again.

Saw about 10 deer yesterday. Three bucks. And the rest does. One dink. A small 120 Ish 8pt. And a big mama jama at last light that after he went up in the field I could see his rack. About a 150 class deer.

Haven't seen a thing this am so far.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just had a yearling Doe come through. She hit the spot where that buck stood the night before and locked them up. Stood there for 15 min looking around. Then went back the way she came. She's been milling around over there for about 15 min browsing.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
At the crack if dawn I saw three does milling around in the upper cut cornfield about 100 yards away...

Had a yote come in below me scooting the edge of the lower cut corn.

About 5 minutes ago I sat and watched a young 8pt push three does around out in the lower field. He was dogging the snot out of them for about 20 min out there. Then one of them cut the yotes tracks and took off with doe doe buck in tow.

So far a good morning.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
4 does since last update. 1 in range under the stand... 1 up high.. 2 down low.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep.. Ended the morning with 15 seen.. 4 bucks and 11 does.... 1 buck in range and 4 does in range.. Reminds me of the old days in VC..

Here is a better pic of that Young 8pt.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dang, now I know why I didn't see anything this morning. Quit hogging all the damn deer!

Last year we installed little squirrel overpasses.. It's helped a ton!

Just had a little button buck under me for 20 min... Surprisingly it was harder not to shoot him than it was the tall 8... Lmao.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Cool pic Joe! Here Tanky Tanky!

At this point he's almost a lost cause. JD saw him the other night across the road in a field. Odds are he's up in another woodlot over there. I don;t think anyone hunts it so he feels safe. The only hope is the rut.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
At this point he's almost a lost cause. JD saw him the other night across the road in a field. Odds are he's up in another woodlot over there. I don;t think anyone hunts it so he feels safe. The only hope is the rut.
Which is about a week away, so keep at it Joe! Hope ya get a chance at him man.