Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2016 Hunting Adventures

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It went great. Thanks to the wond, it was a quiet hunt. No lawn mowers, leaf blowers, dogs, guns or other shenanigans messing with the sanctuary I was in. Did hear a combine off in the distance, but I can live with that. I needed some down time and I got 3 hours of it!

Saw 6 does total. 4 were mature and I could have shot 3. It appears 5 years of not shooting does is really paying off. I'm going to stay out until October and continue to let them feel comfortable using our farm. I spent some time going over my other 4 sets and one I'm going to hang in the next rain we have. Really pleased with what I have out there right now.

I sat in my Big Dog buddy stand last night. It sits over the Runway Plot and takes advantage of a shelf with oaks on the backside. It's a bit difficult to deal with deer on the shelf, but that's what happens when you hunt in the hills!

Below the stand...

Behind the stand...

I just tuck tight to the tree when deer approach like this doe did. She was downwind, eye-level for 5 minutes. Finally she'd had enough of the strange smell combined with the strange blob in the tree and about faced. She snorted once, then walked off and joined another doe. She could smell and see something she didn't like and you can only fool those old does for so long and she was pretty persistent in trying to pick me off!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you look on the left side of the pic, there's a maple starting to turn orange. Going to put a stand here. This is what we call the "Back Field". Some good oaks lining this field dropping acorns and when the leaves drop, the view will be awesome. Better for a gun stand than a bow, but all things are possible...

2016 Stats

Antlerless Sightings: 12
Bucks Sightings: 0
Different Bucks: 0
Shooters Seen: 0
Total Sightings: 12

Deer Killed: 0

Morning Hunts: 1
Evening Hunts: 1
All Day Sits: 0
Skunked Hunts: 0
Total Hunts: 2

Hours on Stand: 4

Average Time Per Hunt: 2 Hour
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: 6

Stands/Blinds Hunted: 2
Properties Hunted: 2

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Made a good effort at Strouds by packing in a mile to hunt a more secluded part of the park. Still surprised we didn't see anything, but the rain/wind had them hunkered down for the better part of the day Friday and Saturday. Still a beautiful hunt and it felt good to be out there.

2016 Stats

Morning Hunts: 2
Skunked Hunts: 1
Total Hunts: 3

Hours on Stand: 7

Average Time Per Hunt: 2 Hours 2 Minutes
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: 1+

Stands/Blinds Hunted: 3
Properties Hunted:3

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Made a good effort at Strouds by packing in a mile to hunt a more secluded part of the park. Still surprised we didn't see anything, but the rain/wind had them hunkered down for the better part of the day Friday and Saturday. Still a beautiful hunt and it felt good to be out there.

2016 Stats

I agree. It was beautiful sitting up on top of that hill. Peaceful all around .

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus

2016 Stats

Sorry I didnt make it down to see you guys over the weekend, youth pheasant over ruled and we went to Delaware, whereabouts did you hike? Behind the lake?

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
20161021_163015.jpg
20161022_084015.jpgthe top picture is like toward to the lake and the bottom picture was toward back of me diffently a good spot, awesome view, would go back again.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Took the girls to the farm tonight to check cams and see what fresh sign I could find. It's been 3 weeks since I've been out there and things are looking great. Found several fresh rubs and scrapes. Food plots really took off in recent weeks and the cam checks tells me I could have a great November if I can get a little luck. It'll be November 8th before I even get serious about hunting out there. With just one hunt on the farm this season, I'm hopeful our 80 acres becomes the local sanctuary as the rest of the neighborhood pressures the local herd. Very excited about what might lie ahead!