Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Joined a gym...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Thanks TF. I just joined the gym in Johnstown. It was actually only 17 minutes from the house so I joined. Going to start in the A.M.

Beentown

P.S. I am down 29#'s since September 11th!:smiley_chuck:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I need to hit the gym up. This shift work has turned me into one lazy fugger and I've put on 20lbs in the last 3 years. I'd like to get rid of that and get back into decent shape. My only issue with going to the gym is I need some type of workout plan that will help me build the muscle I wanna focus on, and also lose the weight I need to lose.

rrr

I keep puttin on weight, but I increased my bench 25% last year. Going to hit the 300 lb bench club this spring.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Just for giggles I put on 275 and was able to do it...my arms were shaking though...felt like a bit of a sissy. It won't stop me though. I used to bench 330, squat 500+ and my best deadlift was 615 I believe. Not going to be there again but I would like to tie my shoes and not be short of breath ;)

Beentown

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
It changed ownership in August. Now you pay for your membership at the Sunoco!

Beentown

Yelp! I was there when it changed ownership. I'm glad someone bought it. That's just to good of a deal!

Circuit train with the free weights to keep the heart rate up. It is what I was doing...

Beentown

I quit lifting for strength and do the same thing. I usually start out with a 5 to 30 minute run (10 and below I really pour it on, 11 to 20 is a moderate pace, 30 is broken up from moderate to slow). After that I'll do a circuit consisting of a major muscle group, then abs, and then either a set of biceps or triceps. I'll do this four to five times with 10 reps. Then I hop back on the tread mil and jog for five minutes. After that I do the same muscle groups again, but this time doing something different. Then it's back on the treadmill, or eliptical, or rowing machine, for another five minutes. My last set works the same groups again, but instead of abs I'll do light squats, deadlifts, or I'll jump up on a box that's about knee high.

By the time I'm done I've spent about 60-70 minutes of cardio and anaerobic exercise. You'll never get strong doing this, but you'll tone up and have great endurance.

Normally Sunday is an all cardio day. I like to vary it, but for the most part I'll jog 40 to 50 minutes and then ride a bike for another 30.
Monday and Tuesday are circuit days.
Wednesday is a rest day.
Thursday and Friday are circuit days, but I go a bit heavier on the cardio on Thursday.
Saturday is a rest day.

My circuits are in three groups:

Chest, abs, biceps, and legs.
Delts, traps, and legs.
Back, triceps, and legs.

I just did a calorie burning thingy check and found out I burn 2200 calories at rest and about 3100 when I work out. I'm still a fat bastard though. That's probably because I like to eat.

Just for giggles I put on 275 and was able to do it...my arms were shaking though...felt like a bit of a sissy. It won't stop me though. I used to bench 330, squat 500+ and my best deadlift was 615 I believe. Not going to be there again but I would like to tie my shoes and not be short of breath ;)

Beentown

I think the most I could bench would probably be around 250. I haven't tried it in a while though. I usually only work out with 205. In my glory days my bench was 315. My squats have always sucked. I think the most I've ever squatted was around 315. Now mine is only around 225.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I miss the free weights all from time to time. I never was ripped, but I have strong legs and good form on bench. I put up 250 as a senior in high school and I only weighed 160. I squated 400 and could box squat 510. Dead lift was in the 500 range. If I had the arms to match my legs, I could have hit that 300 mark on bench! Less than a decade later, I weigh 225, alebit some of that is contributed to a growth spurt between graduation and my first Christmas break at OU. (Left at 5'10" 160 and came back 6'1" 190 with a chest that was twice as thick and shoulders a few inches wider.) I'd love to get back to the 195-205 range as that's where I feel comfortable. I plan to do so after muzzleloader. No since in wasting woods time exercising! And I love my down time this time of year, so I might as well get my monies worth and get back to 230+ before I start back at the gym! :D

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wow you guys are studs, I just do the run thing and sit ups/push ups. Never was a gym guy over the years cardio's my thing and I wasn't always fond of it. Have to do it for the fitness tests.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
So far it is not kicking my ass as much as expected. I am sore but not DEAD. Hopefully by 6 months I won't feel like such a fat ass.

Beentown

rrr

The first week (or two) is the worst and after that it feels good!

I have always found it amazing how we use different muscles for different things. Spring semester last year I lifted 4-5 times a week...and was sore the first week of work. And then my last full week of work this year I worked 78 hours in 6 days...and was draggin my ass around after lifting for the first week. Different muscle groups, different motions.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Todays work cardio and shoulder out.

Three mile run (25:20).
1st set of four circuits: Dumb bell presses. Standing, no sitting (this way you also work your core) and barb bell shrugs.

5 minutes at level 15 on the eliptical.

2nd set of four circuits. Dumbell squat press. Same thing as above, but you add in a squat. Dumb bell shurgs.

3 minutes at level 10 on the bike.

3rd set of four circuits. Reverse shoulder lateral raises, then leg extensions, then front lateral raises, then leg curls.

Last thing was three sets of shoulder shrugs.

I was pretty tired too, but there was a smoking hot chick in the gym so I was distracted.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The kind that are in there for two hours to do nothing but get BIG. I so wanted to ask if they wanted to have a 40 yard contest. I doubt these guys could move very well. Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!

Beentown

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Ill get back into it shortly.last time i lifted which was a year ago i was benching 315 and squating around 350. I did nothing hut go for strength. That was totally different from what i did before. It was nice to change it up. I never benched or squated before. I worked out with a power.lifter who was about 3 times my size and he taught me alot. Im ready to hit the gym again but i will most likey just go back to free weights and cardio.im not interested in being huge anymore. Just in good shape.