Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lack of people willing to work

Bigcountry40

I don’t think High School aged youth participate in the workforce like they used to. This has caused a big void in jobs marketplace. I also think many people got used to being on the gravy train and figured out how to stay on it.
Also kids under 18 can not work on roofs, excavating, slaughter house and list goes on. Not saying agree with it, but our laws have limited the type of work kids can even do, unless your amish

Bigcountry40

Ohio has record LLCs filings in 2020, only to have the record beaten again last year. To your point, that is also a contributing factor as those types of jobs are not reflected in most common labor statistics.
True small businesses typically cycle through a fair amount of employees, it’s the nature of the beast, small businesses need all hands on deck all the time, giving little flexibility to employees for life events ( funerals, sick kid, etc) pay increases are typically not great and competent above average employees find better within a year or two and upgrade. Revolving door

Last edited:

Bowkills

Nw oh
I think a recession has to happen and no more govt bailouts to put competition back into the workforce. 14yrs of going strong with 0 competetion for jobs. 14 yrs worth of workers that have never said, 'oh shit! what are we going to do now?' When lossing a job actually was an big deal....i dont want it to happen but dealing with lazy people is getting old!

Bigcountry40

The want to keep your good employees also seems to suck.
I plan on posting a scroll later when I have time (this thread topic is very interesting to me), but I think you are right, there are a lot of jobs available right now, a lot of those jobs are shitty jobs and its seems like tension/relationships/ability to communicate between upper management/administration and their with good/respectable employees is getting worse. I think workers have been treated like shit since the great recession of 08.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hedgelj

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The good reliable workers get more added too them since they’re the ones getting shit done. More responsibility, more work piled on and no monetary gains to go a long with it. Then like Joe stated earlier, they’ll hire someone who barley works out and lump more onto the people who stay.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The majority of today’s youth coming into the workplace has a unearned sense of entitlement, little to no communication skills as well as no sense of time. They show up late, want to leave early and do the absolute minimum while at work.

I’m being generous when I say barely 10% will be worth investing further training in at the end of a probationary period. Those with seasoning, experience or years on the job are charged with training this new pool of workers are being burned out, disgusted with their work ethic.

It’s no mystery to me why we’re in the state we’re in…

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
The good reliable workers get more added too them since they’re the ones getting shit done. More responsibility, more work piled on and no monetary gains to go a long with it. Then like Joe stated earlier, they’ll hire someone who barley works out and lump more onto the people who stay.
This is more true than many people know or want to admit.

Reactions: giles

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My dad always preached "they whip the ones who'll pull" and now I know why.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My dad always preached "they whip the ones who'll pull" and now I know why.
My wife lived that for about 8 years until it affected her health. She was busting her ass and her coworkers were hiding in the restroom texting when they actually showed up.

Tommy g

Nj
Also kids under 18 can not work on roofs, excavating, slaughter house and list goes on. Not saying agree with it, but our laws have limited the type of work kids can even do, unless your amish
Unfortunately kids don’t want to work physical jobs in the summers. I worked construction all though high school back in the late 80’s. Contractors will hire a kid but they want 25 an hour.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
When I was in high school (late 70's) I got lucky and got summer job working as a hod carrier, got invited back for 2nd summer too. Part time job as a gas station attendant. Tried to get a job a the local cinemaplex and got turned down. Other turn downs too. I mean, imagine getting turned down for a job at a movie cinema. That's because everyone was trying to get a job, and there weren't a whole lot of jobs. A job was not automatic. and if you got a job you damn well worked to hold on to it.

Not today, damn. Nobody is scared, there's a safety net.

I don't know. I'm glad I'm 60 and not 20. Damn.

Bigcountry40

Okay, I have a cluster of observations and opinions that relate and contribute to the existing working conditions that our nations is in, but have no way to organize these observation/opinions into any type of order or sensible transition. All I have determined from this list is -the baby boomers had it fuggin made and a lot of millennials born in the early 80’s that entered the work force during the great recession had to work their asses off.

On a number of occasions I have heard older baby boomers tell me while I was in my 20’s “you kids just don’t wanna work hard” , well fuck every single old fucker that ever said or thought that. I wish I could have been given a job at GMC or Ford where I was paid close six figures in the 90’s, full health and dental for the family with little to no training and barely passed high school. I’m pretty sure I and all of my friends from high school could have sat on a stool reading a newspaper for eight hours, while hitting a reset button on a machine once or twice an hour. But its definitely my laziness that kept me from being successful in 08, even though half the baby boomers couldn’t see their dicks while they took a piss for more than half their lives.

My father inlaw who is a baby boomer was a journeyman machine programmer at GMC from the mid 70’s till 2000’s. He never got in trouble, never written up, no issues what so ever in those 30 years. When GM closed he retired but needed to find a new job, from the mid 2000’s to 2020 he worked for 4 or 5 different small companies, was basically fired from 3 and left the other job due to tension. None of these firings had anything to do with coming to work late, behavior, etc, it was always conflicts with work procedures either with engineers owner of the company etc. How can a man who never had an issue with gmc for 30 years, go through 4 or 5 companies in a matter of a 15 year span? Is it him, the small businesses or a combinations of both? Maybe this is the some of the problem with todays small business and expectation of their employees.

Sense of Hopelessness- Many millennials were sold a lie, going/graduating from college= a successful career. If you went to school in 90’s or 2000’s that is all you would hear, weird how we now have a shortage in skilled trades currently. So many millennials and their baby boomer parents bought into this scam and spent tens of thousands of dollars in savings and student loans to achieve this fairytale that the school guidance counselor allowed college representative to sell to you. So, these kids go to school for four years work their asses of getting degrees (even a degree in feminine studies takes a lot of work), are constantly fed a line of shit about how great life will be after college by their professors and accomplish their goal and graduate. Once graduated they enter a world of dog eat dog where there are little to no jobs in whatever major they studied and they are completely over qualified for any available low paying job and now owe 60k. Because of this scenario now younger millennials can barely afford rent for a 2 bedroom apartment (1k a month), a decent car ($500) , phone, their monthly loan payment, etc, etc. So some these 20 somethings have basically given up. With the current housing market, the revolution in Airbnb’s buying a first home is now impossible.

Really young millennials and generation z give no fucks- Because these generations grew up with a sense of entitlement with little moral standard due to pop culture and no sense of work ethic, working and getting jobs is not priority. A lot of kids this age have babies out of wedlock and with no career knowing that the government will provide for them They have no real incentive to work as they know someone (mom, dad, sister, brother, government) will provide for them and give them a place to crash. This age group popularized the term “baby mama” “baby daddy” . Which is now refusing to take entry level jobs because they are above it. The kids from this generation that are decent and hard working have a much different approach to work, many of them will try to find ways to work smarter and not harder/ This is not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes this isn’t an option and hard work is needed. Once they become a part of the work force and are established, these kids will do whatever it takes to become management asap, they will throw anyone and everyone under the bus anything they can to make themselves look better.

Nepotism- It really doesn’t matter how skilled or competent you are at your job-raises, promotions, etc are really about ones ability to kiss ass, network and say all the right things. The only profession that I have found that this does not exist is college and professional sports as an athlete. Working for people that are not as qualified as yourself and some how have slithered their way into upper management position and are now your boss will make you lose your fuggin mind. Often times after this happens many workers realize they can work for themselves (be their own boss), entering the small business/LLC world, which then they as small business owner begin cycling through workers for their own personal gain.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
This isn’t a new problem. When I worked for the phone company, we had guys who would drink all day at a bar and by the time they got back to the garage, someone would have to park their truck for them because they were so drunk. Other guys would go golfing all day and just close out the jobs without ever going out on them. One guy had over 20 years in construction and had no idea of the basic color code for splicing wire….something that should’ve been learned within the first month. The bosses knew who was a good worker and who wasn’t, so of course they gave all of the hard or complex jobs to the good workers. We worked our asses off in the freezing cold and heat of summer while the non workers would sit in their trucks all day playing on their iPhones….and they got paid the same as everyone else. Sad thing is that the unions protected these pieces of shit instead of letting them get fired. Guys would get caught sleeping, shopping, going home and watching tv for hours, playing video games and even hit & runs….and the union would get these guys their jobs back. It’s a shame because there are plenty of people out there that would’ve worked their asses off for a opportunity at a good paying job. People feel entitled today. A couple of my buddies said the same thing went on at their places of employment….one worked for NJ Transit and the other for Atlantic County. Many also know how to work the system for medical leave too. They know how long they have to work down to the hour before their time off is replenished. One guy that worked in the Atlantic City garage back in the 90’s and early 2000’s NEVER worked a single summer…always had 12 weeks FMLA for a bad back that always seemed to act up around June…EVERY fuggin year and the company never challenged him. Glad I’m retired and don’t have to put up with that shit anymore.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll echo Dannmann. Even in the early 90s there was true competition for a job as a high school kid. If you landed a job, you busted your balls because there was a line of people waiting to replace you. That is gone now.

Workers cycling in and out has happened for years as a small business owner. Anymore, we can barely get anyone to apply. My son is a senior this year. Has a good group of friends. They all have jobs unless they play sports year round. Those with jobs are making bank. $12-15/hr flipping burgers or being a cashier. Pretty solid money for high school kids with no bills. How do I source people to do physical labor when they can get a non-physical job making the same or more money? Guess I'll keep bidding jobs higher and higher and hope to be able to pay more.

It's a reset time for pricing on everything. Looks like I'm no different. And I agree with bowkills. It may have to get ugly to where people have to squirm a little before they decide to get to work. Need to shut off the freebies.