Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lake Erie Bite

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Buddy I fished with Saturday, he’s part of the Student fishing league. Kids matched up with adults being the guide and providing the boat so they can fish tournaments. They have sponsors and fish for points for angler of the year and win trophies and bragging rights.
He has a brother sister combo and they fished the exact same spot we did. They had close too 30 keepers today as well. Amazes me how they stack up on a spot like that year after year .....
The young lady was on them, her best 5 fish were pushing 20lbs.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ned rig amazes me on how effective something so simple is. All the years, technology, etc, and a jig head with a Caterpillar looking stickbait will crush them
Simplicity at its best..... Just goes too show how we can over think a situation....
Those TRD baits are a game changer though, I will say that. We can catch a dozen fish on those and hey still look good.... Usually only lose them from a snag.... The most toughest longest lasting plastics out there from what we’ve seen.... We super glue he bait too the jig head and it’ll last all day.... Well until a snag decides too take it away from us.... 😂

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Lake Erie did not disappoint . Took a buddy and his son today . After 90 minutes we only had one or two . Slow . Made some adjustments and before long we we're on them . Had a fire drill at times trying to keep all the rods fishing . Good grade of fish as well.
Ended up fishing 17-20 fow pulling flicker minnows at 2.2 , 50 ft back.

IMG_20190527_111610302_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190527_105505387.jpg
IMG_20190527_103809507.jpg

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Flicker minnows are the shit. I run them as a propwash rig about 12' behind the motor and crush saugeye. No pics, but I borrowed the nephews motor again and took Father in law to Indian Lake today. Only had three keepers 3.5 hours into it. Made our last move before it got bananas out there. Landed 6 keepers and about a dozen "not quites" along with 3 big crappie the last two hours. Most keepers were just over 15"

OO2

In the Uplands
When you guy use the ned rig do you use mainly soft plastic worms or do you use the soft plastic crawfish? Either or?

We always used soft craws on the charters but I will be fishing around the islands soon so will have to use other methods.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
When you guy use the ned rig do you use mainly soft plastic worms or do you use the soft plastic crawfish? Either or?

We always used soft craws on the charters but I will be fishing around the islands soon so will have to use other methods.
The 3” TRD worms is all we’re using with good results.

Reactions: OO2

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Took a landowner who lets me hunt out fishing today . Launched the boat a little before 7 and had our limit by 830ish.

We casted today again . Fun fished for a bit after our limit . Upgraded a couple in the livewell and threw a few back .

He'd never trolled with planer boards so to finish the trip I ran in shallow and pulled cranks . Got 4 more in about 20 minutes .
Packed up and got home before Noon.

What a great time to be fishing Erie for walleye

OO2

In the Uplands
Nice catch!

Will be going up to fish around the islands soon for smallies. Any word how they are doing up there right now from guys that are close by the lake?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had half a dozen acquaintances up there last week. They go up the same week every year to catch smallmouth. They didn’t do very well, said they were still out deep so they switched over to walleye fishing. If they were correct, you should be in business.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Over in this neck of the woods they’re still in close, they’re starting too disperse but still good #’s being caught. Bonemonger was just up there this last week and had a good day.

OO2

In the Uplands
Thank you for the replies guys. Will post updates over the weekend. Mainly target them with soft craws on a Carolina rig and charters boats in the past. Looking forward to trying to get them with the kayak and casting lures

Reactions: Sgt Fury