Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Louisiana

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Well we hunted yesterday. Started off at 26 degrees. Hunter had a mile atv ride and 1.5 walk in the nwr. He seen a toad at 55 yards but wouldn’t commit. That evening he had a doe and passed. Dj and I hunted the property seeing around 15 deer in the morning and 5 small bucks in the evening. I pulled cards to see what was around and I’m hoping a buck shows that we never had a pic of. I did get a few pics of the freak nasty I had pics of in velvet. 27 degrees and we all hunting the same stand/tree.
3EEDA36A-768C-4D97-9FA5-4F564E5F82D3.jpeg
B693E60E-954A-45C5-97C1-AC1357A38DAA.jpeg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Haven’t post in a few days, but we been hitting it hard. Hunter has been doing all day sits and had an encounter w a big buck just out of range. Dj has been gun and bow hunting and has passed on some deer waiting for a good buck on nwr along w Hunter. My lazy ass been hunting the property and yesterday the gates opened up and getting some rut activity. Passed on a 3 yr old (rare) and action all day. Cams are going off steady and if we can get the right buck to step out Giles will get his much needed nut shot. I go back to work Monday and Sunday is a washout. Hoping we get to pet one today.
Hunter and Ryan is in the nwr and anything can happen. No one looking for meat, just big bone.
028978E8-E725-4928-BA03-70FBECF61227.jpeg
16AE7E8E-B1F6-4091-A69B-D9AF8371A2D7.jpeg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Mostly uneventful, with just a couple does, spikes and a Democrat bear. Hunter and Ryan didn’t see anything and scouted and back in the tree.

Reactions: Big_Holla

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Yesterday evening I only seen two does and a nice buck. It’s the same deer dj and I could’ve killed a few times already. I’ve decided to hunt a different stand since my target bucks has had their picture taken here but it’s low percentage on even seeing deer which makes me not want to hunt it. At this point I have nothing to lose so here I am. Here’s a couple pics from yesterday evening.
E3945D35-80EC-45CB-A48D-A528434AA02F.jpeg
DD49D113-BE1A-4C94-971C-0981C4C77E3E.jpeg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Seen a 15” 8pt that was two yrs old and a spike and bobcat. Got a text from Dj saying “smoked him”! We texted back and forth and was no giant bout about a 120” 8pt. Said arrow stuck in him and he barreled off tail down. That feeling you get when you want it soo bad but your not sure……yeah I had it. Texted some friends to pass the time and told Dj to meet me at the drop off spot at 10:30. Walked in .55 to his stand and showed me where he was standing. No blood so we went the direction of travel. My buddy was tracking w dj as I took off looking. They found the arrow 15 yards away in the high grass and vines. Found some blood for 20 yards then dried up. I met back up w my buddy snd he said not much penetration. My heart sank and wanted to cry. We looked and covered a lot of ground to assert me that the buck wasn’t dead and will be chasing does by tonight. Of course Dj is bummed but I’m proud of him getting everything right except the shot placement. We talked and discussed how and why and I told him it happens to all of us. We must learn from the negatives so the next time can be a better outcome. I think I’m more upset than him. It’s hunting……😔

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Seen a 15” 8pt that was two yrs old and a spike and bobcat. Got a text from Dj saying “smoked him”! We texted back and forth and was no giant bout about a 120” 8pt. Said arrow stuck in him and he barreled off tail down. That feeling you get when you want it soo bad but your not sure……yeah I had it. Texted some friends to pass the time and told Dj to meet me at the drop off spot at 10:30. Walked in .55 to his stand and showed me where he was standing. No blood so we went the direction of travel. My buddy was tracking w dj as I took off looking. They found the arrow 15 yards away in the high grass and vines. Found some blood for 20 yards then dried up. I met back up w my buddy snd he said not much penetration. My heart sank and wanted to cry. We looked and covered a lot of ground to assert me that the buck wasn’t dead and will be chasing does by tonight. Of course Dj is bummed but I’m proud of him getting everything right except the shot placement. We talked and discussed how and why and I told him it happens to all of us. We must learn from the negatives so the next time can be a better outcome. I think I’m more upset than him. It’s hunting……😔

Man that stinks but it for sure happens to everyone. He'll get back at it.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Yeh... We've all been down that road... I'm sure he'll get over it and be back in the saddle sooner than later...

Reactions: triple_duece