Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Louisiana

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
56281227660__62E1E639-F6E3-4BDC-BDEB-067F95470611.jpg

Back straps, inner loins and roast from hind quarters. I have trimmings and front shoulders deboned. Gonna drop that off to make some killa deer boudin. Still have plenty of meat from last year in freezers. We killed a bunch last year.

As for me I might not kill unless it’s a decent buck. Idk for sure, usually when I’m at the heat of the moment I decide.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Ok I heard we finally got a handful of ducks so me and Dj and Pearl of course, gonna give it a go.

Barry and Sonny went scouted this evening. They gonna Hunt not far from us. Sonny has his own dog.

Reactions: giles and Dustinb80

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In regards to letting your taxidermist hunt. . . I don't know. Tough spot to be in. Wouldn't want to be in your shoes. Sounds like a tough choice. Cheap as heck on the meat processing.

Reactions: triple_duece

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Ok here we go. Went to wake Dj and said he wasn’t feeling well, so it’s me and pearl. Barry and sonny are hunting also but we are hunting different ponds. Got a half hour before shooting time. I won’t be selective on what birds I shoot as pearl needs work and the first six ducks (that I hit) will be the limit.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Back in the stand this morning. 40 degrees w not much of a nw wind if any. The struggle is real, haven’t seen anything close to being a shooter but this should be heating up more everyday. Good luck to everyone trying to get it done.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Well in the deer world, they kicking my ass! Not seen a deer. Sun just came out so I’m gonna sit a little longer.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Well I forgot to update. Got in stand next to big field and not far from my duck pond. No one w me at the camp and I was bored, well shit I can be bored in the stand. Loaded up and got into the stand early. Not much happened till around 4. Look out on edge of my crp and field and there is yogi. Spent most of the time on my phone between posting and text buddy’s hunting their property.

Anyway around 5 I see and hear a deer running not far from the pond. I’m scanning w my binoculars and it’s in the area of 250 yards. Finally a doe steps out on edge, then another, and another and one more. Few minutes pass and another deer, it’s a cow horned spike. He stands there and is looking over his shoulder. I’m like come on big boy. He begins to walk out and another deer steps out, damn another spike. Stands there a couple minutes and starts heading out into the cut bean field. Another deer steps out, shit another spike. By this time the does are 100 yards off my property on the bean field. I’m scanning the other way and all the does run back in my property. Shit must be a yote. I’m looking and catch a dark object, but it’s one of the spikes.

So I’m glassing as the light is fading after sunset and I hear muddy footsteps.... it’s under my stand. I freeze trying not to make a sound and it walks passed me where I can see it. Wouldn’t you know it, another spike. Glass it but it has eye guards, let’s just call it a 4pt. So I sit there glassing till dark and get out. Them deer saved the day as I was thinking all my deer went underground.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
So last night another buddy in a different camp came in. He likes to duck hunt so we decided to hit a spot. Drove in on arc and get to the duck impoundment and there is kids set up in a spot. We went to another spot and set up. Had a bunch of ducks flying w some kind of wanted to work. Seen some pintails and mallards but we didn’t shoot at any.

Pearl did great but broke on me a couple times. We ended up killing a spoonie, ring neck and 4 teal.View attachment 69887

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Well I need to breathe...gimme a second. Drive to the property and grab my gear. Atv is parked there so I jump on and go to crank it up. This mother fucker won’t even turn over. I just put a new battery in this bitch before thanksgiving. I don’t know how I’m even gonna get it in the truck to possibly see what’s wrong with it.

Anyway I brought a cam to set up right where I park the truck. Got monster tracks crossing my bridge to property. Last year a person that lives close said he’d been seeing a good 10py right on the road. To say the deer has me patterned is an understatement. So after setting the cam I climbed up in a rarely hunted stand I call the creek stand. It’s a 15’ buddy ladder.
56281227660__62E1E639-F6E3-4BDC-BDEB-067F95470611.jpg
56677426944__6D8330B8-4C5E-48FF-9982-287D6FE570D7.jpg

It’s kind of relaxing as all you can hear is water flowing. Not very confident and wind is wrong depending where the deer comes from. I will make the most out of lemons.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Lol well sitting in stand and a bunch of robins land above me. You guessed it a bird shit on me. A squirrel is beside me taunting me. He just don’t know I will shoot his ass w a 300wsm.

Reactions: finelyshedded