Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Louisiana

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So another boring post by me. Anyone still reading this shit?

Woke up early, we break out to our stands at 6am. Settled in and checked this site out while waiting almost an hour for shooting time. Sat till 10:30 zero sightings, dj seen a 4pt and Hunter had the same as me “sqadouche”. We pulled stands and arrived at the camp. Hunter said we have 3 new CA’s to scout. It’s 75 degrees and blowing 20-25 out of the south, I said load the fuck up.

First spot I knew we were in trouble, straight up and straight down. Almost didn’t make it up the trail to the ridge. I thought to myself, I must be real mad at them or stupid. I don’t know which one I’m more of but definitely both. We got back down to the truck, not much interested me and I told him fuck that other hilly bitch, we going to the river. View attachment 165231View attachment 165232View attachment 165233View attachment 165234View attachment 165235View attachment 165236
The next spot was on the river. Found the one entrance to a CA that’s probably 7 miles long along the river. We bounce in the willows and it’s packed w fresh scrapes, every 20’ w 2 or 3 under same branches. Also found some big what looked like community scrapes. Mostly high grass, willows and a few sycamore trees and maples I think. It would be a quarter up and pack out if we killed. View attachment 165238View attachment 165241View attachment 165242View attachment 165243

Spoken like a true flatlander. 😅. Nobody told you this shit was easy. I feel you though, I've sat in a dead stand many times contemplating my choice of hobbies and how stupid it was. 😅. But you know damn well that if you went home and got a day's rest you'd want to go back. At least you guys are moving around and looking. Those deer are going to rut regardless of conditions. If you guys locate a hot doe, or have a doe go hot, the entire world changes.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Ahh we trying, except for today. I got up and told hunter I wasn’t going this morning. Blowing it’s ass off and 61 degrees at 5:30. Tomorrow it rains and front comes in.
Currently my lower back hurts, could be that I slept wrong or the prior days activities. Hunter want to go to the new spot but I wasn’t feeling like carrying a lokon, 6 muddy steps and bow to sit up in a leaning, swaying willow tree out in the wide open. Yup I pussed out this morning 😂. My platform and sticks for my saddle are on the other piece of ground. And Dj only has a climber, which is doable on leaners but not optional. Anyway gonna be a day of rest and most likely tomorrow.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
So yesterday was like a hurricane on the beach minus the rain, flooding and bitches in bikinis. Today looks like good ole Louisiana w lots of rain, hasn’t stopped and started around 5am. We are going stir crazy over here 😂.

Tomorrow is looking great w rain/snow/sleet stopping at 7am. I’m expecting an epic hunt tomorrow so stay tuned in. Wind is good and will be cold.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Update cause we still in da tree. I’ve seen 5 seperate little bucks. Dj has seen 2-3 and Hunter was in the money. Woke up to it still raining, headed out and stopped at McDonald’s, hunter wanted breakfast and I needed round two of the shitter. We got in at the break of dawn, hunter text me said he just shot a Turkey…. All of us had turkeys around us. Said it ran and got in weeds and could see it flapping. Hour later tells me to shoot a bobcat if I see one. He said the bobcat stole his Turkey. He got out the stand and went after it but the cat won 😂. Later he text and says good buck behind a doe, no shot. I told him to soft call or roll the can. Idk if he did but later said he skipped an arrow off his back giving him a haircut. You could say he’s having a good day or not, depending on your perspective.

JARHEAD

Behind you
Update cause we still in da tree. I’ve seen 5 seperate little bucks. Dj has seen 2-3 and Hunter was in the money. Woke up to it still raining, headed out and stopped at McDonald’s, hunter wanted breakfast and I needed round two of the shitter. We got in at the break of dawn, hunter text me said he just shot a Turkey…. All of us had turkeys around us. Said it ran and got in weeds and could see it flapping. Hour later tells me to shoot a bobcat if I see one. He said the bobcat stole his Turkey. He got out the stand and went after it but the cat won 😂. Later he text and says good buck behind a doe, no shot. I told him to soft call or roll the can. Idk if he did but later said he skipped an arrow off his back giving him a haircut. You could say he’s having a good day or not, depending on your perspective.
Sounds like it's only a matter of time before yall draw some blood!

Reactions: triple_duece

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Well kind of embarrassing but none of us realized the time change was last night. Wasn’t even thinking about what day it was, just weather and getting it done. Phone said 6 but clock ⏰ n truck read 7. Looked on the horizon to the east and it was cracking day. Anyway got in without using a flashlight. See what today brings

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well kind of embarrassing but none of us realized the time change was last night. Wasn’t even thinking about what day it was, just weather and getting it done. Phone said 6 but clock ⏰ n truck read 7. Looked on the horizon to the east and it was cracking day. Anyway got in without using a flashlight. See what today brings

Yeah DST sucks. The only good part is you're out of the stand in the evening at a decent time and still have time for a good meal, shower and relaxation time before hitting the bed to do it all again the next day.

Reactions: Big_Holla

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Looks dried up today. Dj only one to see a deer (spike). We still in tree. Talking to two other groups we met last year. They have rattled in a couple, no shooters as of yet. We may bounce but I’m thinking this full moon has more to do w deer sightings than anything. Not real cold but decent. Decisions…..decisions. The other CA has 4 of them hunting, that means long walks to get away from them and not mess each other up. We all say where we at so we don’t booger someone’s hunt, it’s how true hunters on public supposed to do.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
So….. after my last post, the wind picked up some and I kept hearing noise. Figured it out it was bucks fighting about 250 yards behind me. Once the broke up they ran through some cpr grass that’s 9’ high and ran across the edge of a pond I could see. Big bodies was all I could tell.
Then the long wait, nothing till about 4. I seen a deer and texted the boys that the deer was on their feet and to pay attention. Dj text and says he has two bucks fighting 150 yards away and they are loud, lasted for 6 minutes he said. Later a doe and 6pt get under him. We said if we have an opportunity to kill a good doe, to do it. Well the busted him and they pushed two does to me. Long story short, I finally get a 20 yard shot shooting through limbs. Shot felt good and sounded good as she ran 30 and stopped and fell over. Could’ve shot another but saving that tag for a buck. Shot was good as it gets but was deflected by limb and went back under the spine. Dead is dead and easy track.
0C4F609D-5B27-487B-B7A7-4A96CDBB271D.jpeg
05D94031-C617-4446-A3A0-CF162BF66302.jpeg