Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Louisiana

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Headed to the camp. Big front pushing in. Gonna bow hunt and hog hunt. The boys are coming up Sunday because a friend that hunts is getting married Saturday. I told him congrats I won’t be there….wtf was you thinking? The boys might skip it, supposed to be 45 Sunday! Unheard of here in the last 40 years. I can remember ice being in the ditch waiting for the bus but that was many, many moons ago. The old saying was “you don’t rabbit or squirrel hunt until the first frost”.

It should be good and have things on their feet in the morning. I know it can bounce around but I was shocked to see our highs for the next 30 days down here on the coast are only in the mid-70s with most days being around 71. It's supposed to get 42 at my parent's place this weekend up by your camp, but onny 55 down here.

Last edited:

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
So far it’s cool like 63 and windy. Hit my duck hole/hog spot and wasn’t even 300 in and heard and smelled a hog in the palmettos. Kept sneaking another 250 and a 70 pound boar was ahead of me. Closed the distance, got about 50 yards waiting for a frontal dome shot. Had it a couple times but he was around a dead limb that I didn’t want to shoot through. I don’t know why but he started to trot off going from in front to my right. Tried to put kill kill shot but he ran in palmettos. I will look for him on way back. Proceeded towards my duck hole and to my surprise there was about a truck size pool of water.
71837396253__CEFED765-CBF0-4512-AF57-5943FF3FE3B9.jpeg

went past it further down where there use to be a well head I’m guessing cause there is a tank/pond on some high ground. Was listening to some wood ducks and I turned and looked further up the brake and another 70# boar was walking across. Got up on him (about 50 yards) couldn’t get the shot and he trotted off in the palmettos also. Went past there about 100 yards and scanning around, looked back and he came back out. Closed the distance, propped up on a sapling and waited for my shot quartering away and I guess he spotted me. Shot and him him and he ran, taking another shot up the bung and ran into the palmettos. Looked for him but I guess he’s gonna be bear/buzzard meat. I’m currently mile and a half back and will hunt my way back and look for the first hog.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
But we got fresh intel of where he’s coming from. Won’t try to go deeper cause he could be bedding 40 yards away. He will probably do something totally different tomorrow if he even shows. Dj’s buck showing up in the mornings. Trying to get dj to go to the property and me and Hunter will go to the WMA.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Hunted yesterday evening, I was where the 9 pt comes out and Hunter was hunting the 10. Hunter had 4 does and a spike. I had the nice 9 walk from down wind behind me, walk upwind of me 2 yards from the base of my tree. I decided to give him a year or two and videoed him. I almost pulled the trigger.
71858346504__EB153E00-0677-490F-BFDF-8EBD378B2AD3.jpeg

Hunters setup.
IMG_4274.png

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Got back to the camp, ate some lunch and took a nap. Got up at 3 and went outside…..hot and windy. I’m tired, told Hunter I’m not going this evening so he gathered his stuff and loaded up in his truck and went. DJ is still sleeping in his bed so I guess he ain’t going. Might load up this evening and go home. I have a Drs appointment tomorrow at 2 so wouldn’t have much time to hunt in the morning. I will update when Hunter is finished.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I was screaming at my phone "SHOOT YOU FN!" You didn't...
Funny thing is, I should be regretting not shooting him. Somehow I’m good w it, I beat him, could’ve been mine. Guess I’m getting old. Made 3 deer hunts w bow and could’ve killed all 3 times, here I am all good with it. Coming back Thursday evening, gonna put up a new stand and move the stand there to another spot. Gonna melt some lead and make decoy weights and hunt some…..retired life!

Last edited: