Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Mississippi.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
OK. Running some numbers. It looks like even though it's the same weight and FPS there is a cal difference which equates to a lower Ballistics coefficient. So about a 5 inch added drop difference at 250yd.

looking at the data, I don't think I've ever shot anything under 75 yards with it. That pig was about 40 yards. Which is above the max fps the round is rated for at 1800. At 75 yards though it's a touch below the max tolerance.

So the dollars are making sense.

Screenshot_20231212_205116_Nikon_SpotOn.jpg
Screenshot_20231212_205105_Nikon.jpg
Screenshot_20231212_204634_Nikon_SpotOn.jpg

Last edited:

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Yep, slow it down a bit and you should get better results. i just looked and was surprised to see that they only make the xtp fp (flat point) in .357. I was running into the same problem in a .357 rifle. Started looking around for options other than going with Hard cast, I found these little gems designed to be pushed faster and control expansion at higher speeds.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I thought maybe something like a 35 Remington would be a good option for swamp pigs. But uh, my muzzy has almost identical FPS, energy, and drop. 🤣

Screenshot_20231212_211019_Nikon_SpotOn.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep, slow it down a bit and you should get better results. i just looked and was surprised to see that they only make the xtp fp (flat point) in .357. I was running into the same problem in a .357 rifle. Started looking around for options other than going with Hard cast, I found these little gems designed to be pushed faster and control expansion at higher speeds.

But but but I don't wanna. 🤣 I just saw they have the Accura V2 in a "long range" model now with a 30 inch barrel instead of 27. 😈

• Haha
Reactions: JOHNROHIO

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Went for another walk yesterday and didn't spot any hogs. The wind was shit and swirling the whole time. I did find a good deer rub on the back side of a slough between it and a highbank creek. Perfect pinch point and ambush spot. Now for coastal MS this would be one hell of a public land buck.

I found a good wood duck hole in a secluded slough but I'm not going to fuck with them without a dog. From the look of that slough it looks pretty deep past the Cyprus knees. Deeper than I want to wade off in with waders. I also came across the biggest acorns I've ever seen in my life. The pigs and deer must like them as I couldn't find a single nut, just caps and crumbs.

20231215_115814.jpg

20231215_120854.jpg

20231215_112034.jpg

Screenshot_20231215_124838_onX Hunt.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Swamp chestnut. They are big around like a .50cent piece. White oak and yes they love them. Leaves kind of hart shaped w saw blade teeth on leaves

Thanks. I figured it was some species of chestnut or bur oak. I looked for one to taste for tannin levels as chestnuts have a sweeter taste than bur oaks. Every critter in the woods beat me to them though. 😅 I'm an acorn taster when it comes to oaks. If I find an oak flat I want to hunt, I walk around cracking open acorns before picking a setup. Even if they're all white oaks some are less bitter than others and there's nothing more frustrating than sitting in a stand watching all the deer go to a certain tree.

When I shot that deer in Ohio in October I slipped up on this flat and noticed all the deer were heading to this one big oak. I was late in the evening and couldn't move in on them. The next day the wind was bad so I stayed out. The next evening I snuck in there and shot that little buck. After the shot I stood up and walked towards him, walked right past him to that tree and started biting acorns in half. I was more interested in why they preferred those acorns over all the others than I was the deer, I mean he wasn't going anywhere, he can wait a minute. 🤣

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Went for another walk yesterday and didn't spot any hogs. The wind was shit and swirling the whole time. I did find a good deer rub on the back side of a slough between it and a highbank creek. Perfect pinch point and ambush spot. Now for coastal MS this would be one hell of a public land buck.

I found a good wood duck hole in a secluded slough but I'm not going to fuck with them without a dog. From the look of that slough it looks pretty deep past the Cyprus knees. Deeper than I want to wade off in with waders. I also came across the biggest acorns I've ever seen in my life. The pigs and deer must like them as I couldn't find a single nut, just caps and crumbs.

View attachment 189263

View attachment 189265

View attachment 189264

View attachment 189267
If you don’t have a dog, then just take a fishing rod with a big sinker and treble hook and just snag any that fall in the deep water. That is if you can cast worth a shit!

Reactions: OO2

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Met Jon and his wife and family in Bay St Louis for the Krewe of Nereids parade. Theyre down on vaca looking for a lot.

With everyone collecting for the boys they left completely loaded! 😅 Bags upon bags of throws and beads. We eventually just started making a pile behind us once all the bags were full.

20240204_133728.jpg

20240204_133709.jpg

20240204_110313.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I also caught my oldest rethrow Dabloon. From the 1971 couples carnival in NOLA. Lots of things like this get recycled. Beads etc. There will be drives so people can donate it back to the krewes to throw again. They also scour the goodwill etc and buy stuff back. I imagine that's where this coin came from. Goodwill gets so much of it they just bag it up in big bags and sell it for a couple dollars and the Krewes go in and buy it for cheap throws.

20240204_165609.jpg

20240204_165601.jpg