Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE from the stand 2018-19

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I bought an adapter so I can use a big propane tank with the heater, Mr Buddy makes one. The little cans are expensive and I found when it’s cold and the heater is running close to high, about a half hour before dark the heater would start flickering and making noise because the little tank was getting empty. I put the tank behind and outside of the blind and run the hose to the heater.

Reactions: Dustinb80

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Mature doe just walked by the window. No bone following....yet. She's acting kinda odd. Walking around, eating a bit.

View attachment 69472

There goes your meat in the freezer. It is post rut. "Acting kinda odd" is what they do when they expect your neighbor to come out any minute. Just my opinion. . . If you want deer meat in the freezer, now would be your time to shoot a doe. Cold enough to hang. Not miserable cold. You have deer all around you (seemingly) every hunt. If you genuinely don't care about filling the freezer and are strictly trophy hunting, I get it. I respect that. Some guys are content enjoying being out there whether they shoot a deer or not. Boarhead comes to mind. He gets major respect from me. He sticks to traditional gear. He is 100% okay watching them. If "the one" walks by in his range he will shoot it. He is content eating a tag if not offered what fits his wants/needs.

Just my thoughts Kevin. If you are buck only hunting, I get it. Otherwise I personally would be shooting a doe that size with my bow rather than my camera if I wanted to fill the freezer. That is just me though. I respect whatever you want to do. Guess I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for so it makes it easy to tease "shoot the deer Kevin!" :D

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gee Phil, where do I start. She was acting odd because other deer came in afterwards like I anticipated, just not the right one. There's no neighbor to come out of anywhere where the blind is. I'm not " trophy " hunting per say, but there are some nice bucks around, though none are monsters. One just came thru a few nights ago, but not by me. I'm holding out for one, & if not, then I'll pop a doe. My wife keeps yelling at me for not having a trail bologna...lol. Still waiting for the grand kid to make an appearance, so until then, I wait for bone. I truly enjoy sitting out. No hurries, no worries. Heck, one year I didn't get a doe until the last ten minutes of the season ! Once my season is over, I get very bored being cooped up, so I can afford to wait 'em out in a warm blind sitting in a soon to be comfy chair...lol

On the flip side of that, antlers will soon be falling, so I can't be too choosey.

Last edited:

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I’m doing kind of an urban hunt now. Friends of my wife have been all curious about deer hunting, want to get into it but don’t know where to start etc. I gave them some deer meat and they loved it. Long story short I’m sitting on thier 2.5 acres where a group of does has come through daily. Trying to shoot a doe and split it with them.

First time here and it’s an interesting little property. Knox County fairgrounds across the street and I can hear the city traffic of Mount Vernon. Lots of deer sign and a rub on a trail 20’ from me so we’ll see if they come through.

This lady has been texting my wife deer updates and pictures for weeks asking when I’m coming to shoot one. Twist my arm...

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I do believe that I have a Beaver in the area, which is pretty cool.
2018-12-09 16.04.59.jpg

Something I've never seen around here before.

While hiking across the creek behind the house I came across several trees that were chewed up and missing right along the creek bank.

Very fresh cuts and I seen the drag marks on the ground leading to the creek.

My only suspension is that I have a Beaver in the area setting up perhaps a new home.

I'll have to go looking for more clues over the next few days and try to confirm my theory.

Anyhow, I'm out trying to shoot a buck this evening.

TOO'TALU!

Reactions: Joel

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Saw the group of does I’ve been hearing about. I could’ve shot a couple different ones but they were in the neighbors yard during daylight. They eventually came right where I wanted them to but not until 5-10 minutes after shooting light. I had one 15’ away at one point and got stuck there in the dark until they wandered off. I will be back there, the family was all excited and watching out the window while I was hunting lol.

Cool experience and you could tell these deer aren’t hunted or pressured. They acted like totally different animals compared to the ones at a couple properties I hunt.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hunted behind my FIL house last night and saw 6 antlerless deer slip out of bedding area next door at 4:42 and pass on through by 5:05.
Then this afternoon I headed to the farm to hunt out of the double set in the funnel and watched a lone doe pop out into the standing beans 130 yards out and acting somewhat nervous as she fed. She kept looking down in front of me 100 yards out at a corner of the field out of my view. She closed the distance as she made her way towards the opening in the outside corner I was tucked inside of. It’s the gap many deer have entered as they funnel through. The wind tonight was really inconsistent as I felt it blowing occasionally from all directions with the N being the most and forecasted one. Anywho as this doe pointed her nose straight up trying to figure out what and where I was she was standing just to the left of the gap shooting window 32 yards away to the west. As I was watching her I caught movement in the direction of the corner I couldn’t quite see and saw the hell of a nice buck grazing in the beans but keeping an eye on her at a distance of 60-70 yards. He was about 110 yards away from me. His was real white, wide and unique. A dandy nice clean 8 with long crabclaws that laid low and flat with the beams. I took several pics as he fed but kept my eye on her as she was working her way into the timber being ever so cautious and edgy looking around and testing the air. As she left his field of view he finally stopped eating and started heading straight for the gap to keep her in his sights. She is standing on the adjacent bank from me at 19-20 yards and he closed the distance and has no clue what’s going on as he enters the timber and stands there at 28 yards looking at her. I had no shot where he stood but if she would just settle down and let him come on in or lead him further down the bank I could have had several shot opportunities. It was now 5:15 and shooting light growing dimmer by the minute with still 15-20 minutes left. I don’t know if the thermals or a swirl got to her but she just suddenly bolted back up the hill past him taking him with her....UGH😡
Soooooo close tonight!!!! Best hunt and nicest buck I’ve had an encounter with this season. No history or pics of this deer as I believe he’s out of his normal range and is now hooked up with one of the local does coming into her second estrus cycle. It sucks that another work week has to start but hoping he sticks around with that doe till next weekend when I’ll be sitting there somewhere with my Henry. Pics aren’t great but he’s 110-120 yards away in these shots. They don’t do him justice AT ALL! His mass and spread were very nice.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang Ric! Hope you get another crack at him. Sounds like a good one. Couldn't tell much in the pics. Wouldn't come up in PB.