Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE from the stand 2019-20

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm out with a slight breeze in my face. Things feel good. Good luck fuggers.

20191029_081135.jpg

Last edited:

NE-Oh-Hunter

NE Ohio
Good morning so far. Yote ran by me right at daybreak (too early to get a bead). Fox went by a little later. Then mom and yearling came in for about 20 min. Craziest thing is I then hear a noise that sounds like a mix between a kid blowing too hard on a recorder and a train whistle..except it’s moving through the woods. Deer notice it too. It keeps getting closer and closer and then this fox goes running by. I always wondered “what does the fox say” but I never heard a fox whistle. UPDATE. As I’m typing this, my mystery scrape maker walks in. Crazy shaped 10. Let him walk but boy was that exciting...and cool to see him freshen scrapes.
46770531-E8E4-42E5-858C-5A58789BD054.jpeg

F718C017-0787-4F45-9019-61ED31B150FE.jpeg

Floki

I’ve finally made it out. Glad to join y’all and happy as hell to be sitting here in the woods. Been a long work season for me. Probably 4 maybe 5 weekends off since April.

My goal today is hopefully to see something but don’t want to shoot anything. Hell don’t even care if I see something. Just want to sit here and take it all in. Good luck to y’all.

Hopefully in the next couple weeks I’ll be able to send Dave a nut shot. He’s been hounding me for one.Ever since he bought that Ford actually!😂🇺🇸🤘

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good morning so far. Yote ran by me right at daybreak (too early to get a bead). Fox went by a little later. Then mom and yearling came in for about 20 min. Craziest thing is I then hear a noise that sounds like a mix between a kid blowing too hard on a recorder and a train whistle..except it’s moving through the woods. Deer notice it too. It keeps getting closer and closer and then this fox goes running by. I always wondered “what does the fox say” but I never heard a fox whistle. UPDATE. As I’m typing this, my mystery scrape maker walks in. Crazy shaped 10. Let him walk but boy was that exciting...and cool to see him freshen scrapes. View attachment 88742
View attachment 88743

OH, there's something better you're waiting on ?? LOL

NE-Oh-Hunter

NE Ohio
OH, there's something better you're waiting on ?? LOL

Point taken lol. He prob looks bigger in the photo, and I have a few pics of his two big brothers that really are studs. Plus, if I got blessed to fill the tag this early, I’d have fewer excuses for the honey-do list. Have to imagine this weekend will be hopping with the front moving in and everything I’ve seen so far this morning!

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Point taken lol. He prob looks bigger in the photo, and I have a few pics of his two big brothers that really are studs. Plus, if I got blessed to fill the tag this early, I’d have fewer excuses for the honey-do list. Have to imagine this weekend will be hopping with the front moving in and everything I’ve seen so far this morning!
I figured you must have another good one on camera to give him a pass! Good luck.😁

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's a little warm for my liking, but this cloud cover and the steady breeze.... It just feels like a night the deer will be moving. The sound of combines in the distance is more pleasant than I ever remember it. And the leaves are really changing now. Finally! It feels like deer season!

6C99549E-FDE5-47FF-8BF2-BA7FFD050F11.jpeg

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I stayed out till after 11 & didn't see a damn thing. I had lunch & decided to drive up to my club property to walk around & scout.

20191029_123442.jpg

20191029_123454.jpg

20191029_124856.jpg

20191029_125450.jpg

20191029_131001.jpg

All in all , I dunno. Others hunt here & I need to learn the lay of the land better. Came home, took a nap & back in my ground blind. Of course, deer were already here. I'm settled in at least. Oh, I lost a glove.

Last edited:

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Oh geeze. A neighbors dog just came by & barked his head off at me when I tried to scare it away. Then another neighbor who was outside working decided to take his dog for a walk up above me . I went back home for a bit. I can't find the glove. Must have fallen out of the pocket while at the other place. Sheesh.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just had a doe at 15 yds and she busted me. She was coming down the fencerow to me and started getting squirrely, likely catching my scent cone. She began to turn broadside to spin away and I hesitated a second too long in coming to draw. She spotted me before I could pull it back. Well, you know the rest. Fun little encounter though! I'm still getting the hang of this recurve thing. Turns out, shooting is actually the easy part!

Jamie

Ohio
Just had a doe at 15 yds and she busted me. She was coming down the fencerow to me and started getting squirrely, likely catching my scent cone. She began to turn broadside to spin away and I hesitated a second too long in coming to draw. She spotted me before I could pull it back. Well, you know the rest. Fun little encounter though! I'm still getting the hang of this recurve thing. Turns out, shooting is actually the easy part!
A deer has to make s mistake for us to kill them with old school bows and arrahs. Plus, we have to do everything perfect. No margine for error when you are operating at 60 feet and under. The thrill is in being close.

NE-Oh-Hunter

NE Ohio
Some of you asked me earlier why I didn’t shoot that 10 pointer. I responded that there were a couple other deer I had in mind. But the other truth is that I was hoping the deer would come back tonight when I had my nine-year-old with me. As some of you know… sometimes it’s more fun watching people we love hunt. Tonight played out perfectly. He came to the stand with me, he prayed we’d have a good time (and be safe) , and then the buck from this morning followed the exact script we wanted. He thrashed a tree 20 yards from us (behind a tree so my son couldn’t shoot). Then moved 10 yards away and gave my nine-year-old an acceptable shot at 30 yards. I’m not sure if he went low or the buck jumped but the shot went under and the buck walked away. I’ve got a lot of tears to deal with from him right now but what a great adventure!

Floki

Some of you asked me earlier why I didn’t shoot that 10 pointer. I responded that there were a couple other deer I had in mind. But the other truth is that I was hoping the deer would come back tonight when I had my nine-year-old with me. As some of you know… sometimes it’s more fun watching people we love hunt. Tonight played out perfectly. He came to the stand with me, he prayed we’d have a good time (and be safe) , and then the buck from this morning followed the exact script we wanted. He thrashed a tree 20 yards from us (behind a tree so my son couldn’t shoot). Then moved 10 yards away and gave my nine-year-old an acceptable shot at 30 yards. I’m not sure if he went low or the buck jumped but the shot went under and the buck walked away. I’ve got a lot of tears to deal with from him right now but what a great adventure!

Hey your not grocery shopping. In youth gun season ,let him know them 3 shots were a miss. The good thing about it is. It’s never a given.Every body misses. A miss is better than a wound. Everyone who has hunted long enough knows it happens. Tell him some stories of your experience when ya missed or wounded one.

It wasn’t successful but in many ways it was.