Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE from the stand 2020-21

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've been out since 6. Kinda warm out, but hopefully the front coming in will get something to move. On the flip side, gotta get the dog to the vet as soon as i can. He's got a bad limp with some kind of seeping wound in his pad.
Hope it’s nothing serious, Kevin... Good luck

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks J. It looks worse than the pic shows. I have no idea what he did. He goes to the vet in a few hrs ...

20201015_082438.jpg

Hi Guys... I’m brand new as a member. I’ve read the threads for years. Glad to be here. Live in Strongsville and hunting a new farm this year. All standing corn right now. They are harvesting it later this month, just in time for rut. I only have a small patch of woods/brush next to a creek on the outside of the corn. I cleared out a 50 yard shooting lane through it, but I have to hunt in a ground blind since there are zero mature trees for a stand. Any tips? Ideas? Right now I can’t see anything but hear the deer in the corn rows. Should I hold off until the corn is harvested so I don’t ruin the area? Should I try walking the rows or sitting the rows? I didn’t have a ton of time to scout this year, as this place was last minute. There’s lots of does and fawns on my cameras but no bucks yet.

Welcome ! Try walking across the rows while the corn is still up , looking both ways on a windy day. The ground blind will work wonders as well.
I’m my prehunt scouting, there’s lots of tracks and a bedding area the deer cleared out in a section of the corn. I’m just afraid to bust the entire area walking through there. The ground blind will be great once the corn is harvested. It’s just frustrating to be limited to such a tiny shooting lane on 25 acres of standing corn. Lol

Hi Guys... I’m brand new as a member. I’ve read the threads for years. Glad to be here. Live in Strongsville and hunting a new farm this year. All standing corn right now. They are harvesting it later this month, just in time for rut. I only have a small patch of woods/brush next to a creek on the outside of the corn. I cleared out a 50 yard shooting lane through it, but I have to hunt in a ground blind since there are zero mature trees for a stand. Any tips? Ideas? Right now I can’t see anything but hear the deer in the corn rows. Should I hold off until the corn is harvested so I don’t ruin the area? Should I try walking the rows or sitting the rows? I didn’t have a ton of time to scout this year, as this place was last minute. There’s lots of does and fawns on my cameras but no bucks yet.
Welcome! I like in Valley City, right down the road basically.lol. Where ya hunting if you don't mind me asking? I would say find a decent spot to brush in a ground blind really well, on a windy or rainy day. And see what happens. Especially with the lack of scouting so far. Good luck!!

Welcome! I like in Valley City, right down the road basically.lol. Where ya hunting if you don't mind me asking? I would say find a decent spot to brush in a ground blind really well, on a windy or rainy day. And see what happens. Especially with the lack of scouting so far. Good luck!!
I’m hunting a friends family farm in Creston. Wife and I just sold our hunting cabin and land in southern Ohio and I needed a spot last minute. We have little kids and the 3 plus hour drive was getting too tough to make. I’ve got a ground blind tucked off to the side by the creek. There’s standing corn with a road on two sides. Private property on another. And then about 40-50 feet of brush/small trees on the 4th side. The only place to hunt is the brush side and the creek marks the property line. It took me about 2 hours to clear out the shooting lane with a machete and hand saw. Otherwise, you can’t see more than 5 feet through the brush. It’s a heavily traveled route for the deer from the brush line to another farm across the road behind my blind. I’m making do with what I have, but I’ve never hunted standing corn from a ground blind and it’s frustrating. Next year is soybean and I’ll be building a standing tower to hunt from. Just looking for tips as to how to hunt it this year.

Bowkills

Nw oh
I’m my prehunt scouting, there’s lots of tracks and a bedding area the deer cleared out in a section of the corn. I’m just afraid to bust the entire area walking through there. The ground blind will be great once the corn is harvested. It’s just frustrating to be limited to such a tiny shooting lane on 25 acres of standing corn. Lol
Take a snap shot of an Ariel google earth photo put it on here if u don't mind sharing, might give clearer picture.....standing corn is magic when ur field is the last one left. I won't hunt inside a woods until it's all gone.

Take a snap shot of an Ariel google earth photo put it on here if u don't mind sharing, might give clearer picture.....standing corn is magic when ur field is the last one left. I won't hunt inside a woods until it's all gone.
The blue circle is where I have easy access and have my ground blind and where I cleared the shooting lane. The woods on the left hide a creek that drops down about 15 feet on both sides. It runs the entire length of the north to south woods and is the property line between the farm I hunt on the right and the farm on the left owned by someone else. The red circles are where the deer are bedding in the corn and I have lots of activity on camera. The blue circle where I hunt is a choke point and the deer pass through to go north and south across the road in the bottom of the picture. All the green on this map is actually standing corn this year. This satellite image is old and shows soybean.
3FD54844-B87D-4ED7-BFEE-78BAE9C5EC14.jpeg