Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand 2021/22

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Just laid eyes on 'THUNDER'! 60 yards just to the South and headed right into the woods at my 'Northwestern Stand' location. He's on his feet in daylight, which is awesome!

The weather front just may do the trick for me today.

Okay, here's my thought/plan to get on 'THUNDER' today.

I now know where he's comin from, and most likely, where he'll be headed back to at some point later on today.

There are only a few places where he just might be bedded during the day, which is not far where I saw him go into the woods this mornin in daylight, perhaps to remain close to the ladies, which I know where they bed usually during the day over by my 'Northwestern Stand', which is where 'THUNDER' most likely cruised right under this mornin.

BTW, I'm hearing Wild Turkeys that are very near by as I forge this plan.

Anyhow, I'm going to remain at this stand that I've been huntin the past 5.5 days until about the noon hour. Then I'll climb down and go get me a quick bite for lunch, and get rid of these heavier outter huntin clothes.

After that, me, the bow, my gear bag and my tree umbrella are going to head back out to my 'Northwestern Stand' for the first time this season. That tree accomodates a tree umbrella far better, where as my 'Western Stand', the one I'm in right now, does not.

The rain isn't supposed to begin until around the 1:00ish hour. Once it starts, then the rain is supposed to get heavier, hour by passing hour, going straight into the nighttime dark hours.

If I don't see 'THUNDER' at that stand location this afternoon into the evening, then no big deal cause when I leave there tonight, I'll be going back through the same freshly mowed South field that he did, however, any of my scent that's left behind should be washed away after the rain quits later on tonight.

9:18 a.m., I just heard a buck grunt.And another, and another...

Now, the wind direction for this afternoon and into this evening's hunt should workout okay. Not perfect, but alright. The predicted wind forecast for the remainder of the day, according to Windy.com, is coming from the South 10 to 12 mph. Again, that should give me a somewhat crosswind if shows up below me, or I'll be downwind if he shows up above me, along the wooded/field edge. Eitherway should be good and hopefully not get busted.

So, that's my plan regarding going after 'THUNDER' today.

Any suggestions or comments regarding this thought/plan of mine would be greatly appreciated!

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio

I now know where he's comin from, and most likely, where he'll be headed back to at some point later on today.

There are only a few places where he just might be bedded during the day, which is not far where I saw him go into the woods this mornin in daylight, perhaps to remain close to the ladies, which I know where they bed usually during the day over by my 'Northwestern Stand', which is where 'THUNDER' most likely cruised right under this mornin.

Anyhow, I'm going to remain at this stand that I've been huntin the past 5.5 days until about the noon hour. Then I'll climb down and go get me a quick bite for lunch, and get rid of these heavier outter huntin clothes.

After that, me, the bow, my gear bag and my tree umbrella are going to head back out to my 'Northwestern Stand' for the first time this season. That tree accomodates a tree umbrella far better, where as my 'Western Stand', the one I'm in right now, does not.

The rain isn't supposed to begin until around the 1:00ish hour. Once it starts, then the rain is supposed to get heavier, hour by passing hour, going straight into the nighttime dark hours.

If I don't see 'THUNDER' at that stand location this afternoon into the evening, then no big deal cause when I leave there tonight, I'll be going back through the same freshly mowed South field that he did, however, any of my scent that's left behind should be washed away after the rain quits later on tonight.

Now, the wind direction for this afternoon and into this evening's hunt should workout okay. Not perfect, but alright. The predicted wind forecast for the remainder of the day, according to Windy.com, is coming from the South 10 to 12 mph. Again, that should give me a somewhat crosswind if shows up below me, or I'll be downwind if he shows up above me, along the wooded/field edge. Eitherway should be good and hopefully not get busted.

Any suggestions or comments regarding this thought/plan of mine would be greatly appreciated!
If I can make one suggestion to you… in regards to your plan. Sit past noon, maybe til 1 or 130. I’ve noticed a ton of mid day movement lately and it might be worth while to make that extra hour count. He might be on his feet right before the rain or just as it begins! Just my two cents…

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
If I can make one suggestion to you… in regards to your plan. Sit past noon, maybe til 1 or 130. I’ve noticed a ton of mid day movement lately and it might be worth while to make that extra hour count. He might be on his feet right before the rain or just as it begins! Just my two cents…
Yeah, I thought about that too. I may starve today 😆

PSE13

Shelby
Haven’t seen anything since that half rack. I was sitting here just checking the trees out when I noticed the dried blood splatter on one from the doe I shot. Excuse the blurriness it’s zoomed in lol
5032AE3C-55AA-4B1E-A59B-85D989143C4D.jpeg

Isaacorps

Columbus

I agree with Chance. You’re already set up, have confirmed he’s nearby, and you’re in the right area. Chances of him staying bedded all afternoon are slim IMO. Eliminate be possibility of him being there and you not. He only needs to slip up once. Good luck!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
None of the mature local bucks or roamers yet, have showed up midday since summer, except for 'SHYBUC'. He's the only one, and even so, he's only done it a couple of times.

That's according to all my TC data collection this year.

Reactions: Chancegriffis

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
None of the mature local bucks or roamers yet, have showed up midday since summer, except for 'SHYBUC'. He's the only one, and even so, he's only done it a couple of times.

That's according to all my TC data collection this year.
I have an 8pt I've seen from the road twice. Got him on camera twice. That cam had around 400pics in a week. Given my visual sightings, I know he is in the area. I only know he tripped the camera twice. Rely on what you see more than the cameras is where I am. I'm more confident in intelligence gathered from my eyes than my cameras.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Alright,,, here's what I'm going to do after reading posts of those that responded, and thank you very much BTW for doing so!

I'm having the wife bring me my rain jacket and tree umbrella as soon as it starts to rain. I'll only be down from this tree for a matter of a minute or two. The wife is not going to be anywhere near my tree-stand location, trust me on that one, not even close.

I'll hunt the rest of the day out of this same stand, the one I've been huntin out of since last Saturday, my 'Western Stand'.

'THUNDER' does frequent this setup daily now, and has been for nearly two weeks straight, however, it's never been during daylight as of yet this season. Although, I am fully aware that any hot doe can easily change any buck routine behavior in a single heartbeat.

Thanks again fellas, and good luck to you if you're huntin 'TOO'!

Again, I'm in no hurry to make this buck harvest happen, but after seeing that deer earlier this mornin, I definitely got the urge to get after him, so, the spinning head-game began shortly after seeing him enter the woods, right where my other stand is.

Pressing onward!

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Go
Alright,,, here's what I'm going to do after reading posts of those that responded, and thank you very much BTW for doing so!

I'm having the wife bring me my rain jacket and tree umbrella as soon as it starts to rain. I'll only be down from this tree for a matter of a minute or two. The wife is not going to be anywhere near my tree-stand location, trust me on that one, not even close.

I'll hunt the rest of the day out of this same stand, the one I've been huntin out of since last Saturday, my 'Western Stand'.

'THUNDER' does frequent this setup daily now, and has been for nearly two weeks straight, however, it's never been during daylight as of yet this season. Although, I am fully aware that any hot doe can easily change any buck routine behavior in a single heartbeat.

Thanks again fellas, and good luck to you if you're huntin 'TOO'!

Again, I'm in no hurry to make this buck harvest happen, but after seeing that deer earlier this mornin, I definitely got the urge to get after him, so, the spinning head-game began shortly after seeing him enter the woods, right where my other stand is.

Pressing onward!
Best of luck to you! Most of the mature bucks I’ve seen out this way have been between 11-330 pm chasing does and tending. The rest that I’ve seen roaming are right at last light

Reactions: AH2319 and Wildlife

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@Wildlife if he happens to not show by the current stand, but shows where you had planned to hunt? I would blame @Isaacorps and @Chancegriffis. 🤣🤣🤣

Kidding of course. But if that DOES happen? Well, that is the frustrating part of trail cameras. We all love and hate them.

I think it is wise to sit tight though. Daytime movement. Trailing a doe. Known area for does. They frequent your stand location. Strategy right now varies a little based on recent sightings. Hot doe supercedes any camera footage from a week or two or a month ago.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Okay, the latest update for today...

No deer seen since 'THUNDER' this mornin.

Called the wife to grab earlier. Asked her to locate my tree umbrella and rain jacket. She found my tree umbrella, but could not find my rain jacket.

So, I climbed down at 1:30 as the winds have picked up plenty, but supposed to lay back down when the rain shows up at 4:00 now.

I'm eating lunch while reviewing TC data from the SD card that I pulled just before leaving my setup. Below is shows all the deer activity since I pulled yesterday, overnight there, including that roamer and a small body, but big eight that has been in hiatus for a while. 'THUNDER' did not show up there last night, so, perhaps he'll make an earlier than normal appearance this evening, at least I hope so!

I'm about finished up here with lunch, getting ready to head back out with everything that I need for the wet weather that's comin.

Wish me luck, and thanks again for all the advice fellas!