Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand 2021/22

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I know a guy who does 10-2 regular. 4 dandies around mid day.
Yeah, well good for him! Has any of those dandies hit the ground yet, or is it all hype?

Not happening in my neck of the woods today, at least not within the 20-30 acres that I can actually glass from this spot.

I've been back in since 2:35, gone for one hour.

Just now starting to sprinle rain, and doesn't look like I missed anything, but, to be sure, I'll pull the SD card from TC once again before I leave tonight, just so I can get a good night's rest.

Hope your guy has a successful deer season, and good luck to you too!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Yeah, well good for him! Has any of those dandies hit the ground yet, or is it all hype?

Not happening in my neck of the woods today, at least not within the 20-30 acres that I can actually glass from this spot.

I've been back in since 2:35, gone for one hour.

Just now starting to sprinle rain, and doesn't look like I missed anything, but to be sure, I'll pull the SD card from TC once again before I leave tonight, just so I can get a good night's rest.

Hope your guy has a successful deer season, and good luck to you too!
Yes...he killed 4 good ones at mid day.
Sometimes, if you don't like what your getting, change what your doing.

Hunter II

Anyone else notice a total lack of bluejays and cardinals? I had heard some were getting sick over the summer but they seem to be all gone.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
So, I can see a decent buck through the binos where I saw 'THUNDER' this mornin going into the woods near one of my other stands right now. Can't get a good look at him cause he's right inside the woods, just off the South field. If that is him, he's approximately 150-175yrds away. Right now and it's starting to rain pretty good too.

Looks like he's making a tree rub...

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20211111_163836.jpg

First deer underneath me, a button. That other must have stepped further back into the woods cause I lost him for now.

20211111_164129.jpg

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
5 more deer before quittin time, all out of bow range. 4 antlerless came from the West and 1 young 8 came from the South. He stood in the middle of the field looking out to the West as if he knew exactly where the ladies were. The ladies came from the West, once that 8 noticed them, he trotted right towards them. As he reached the group of antlerless, the leading big doe lead that 8 away from the others by braking from the group. The 8 took chase while that big lead doe lead him back to the other side of the field where he originally came from.

By 5:40 p.m., and not seeing anymore deer step out into the South field. I started packing up while I could still see under natural light. Once down, I swapped SD card at the TC, to see if any deer showed up at this setup when I broke for lunch just after 1:00 and back by 2:30 p.m. One little deer must have been very close by, like I most likely walked right past him. I also believe he might be the same one I encountered underneath me this evening @4:35 p.m., however that one did come from the South, so I really don't know that for sure. Could be two different deer.

WGI_0002.JPG

View attachment 139893

I don't know what might have lead some folks to think that I'm somehow bias in someway about hunting midday hours. I don't believe I gave such an impression and if so, please let it be known that I have killed at least three different bucks during the noon hour over the years that I distinctly recall. One of which is a nearly 140" class and the other was a real old buck with a broken left side rack that I believe if he had his entire rack completely intact that given day I killed him, he would've been something like a 20 some-eyed point buck, however, with just a small freakish type basket though. I had to skull cap him cause of the mid 80's outdoor temp when I drilled him that day, and he was a huge bodied deer that I had to deal with. I had to take care of him real super quick and didn't have time to fuss around, so that's the extreme short version story behind him.

20211111_182714.jpg

I have done already at least a half a dozen all day sits this season, so know this; I do put in the time each year and I do know my local deer herd habits around my neck of the woods fairly well. I've been studying them feverishly over the past five years, right after I first moved to the location.

@Hunter II - I have not seen any problems with the blue-jays or cardinals in my area. I see and hear them everyday. I have tons of them, and at the other farm that I have been hunting also. Tons there as well and have not seen any dead ones laying about anywhere.

Last edited:

Cogz

Cogz
TX
5 more deer before quittin time, all out of bow range. 4 antlerless came from the West and 1 young 8 came from the South. He stood in the middle of the field looking out to the West as if he knew exactly where the ladies were. The ladies came from the West, once that 8 noticed them, he trotted right towards them. As he reached the group of antlerless, the leading big doe lead that 8 away from the others by braking from the group. The 8 took chase while that big lead doe lead him back to the other side of the field where he originally came from.

By 5:40 p.m., and not seeing anymore deer step out into the South field. I started packing up while I could still see under natural light. Once down, I swapped SD card at the TC, to see if any deer showed up at this setup when I broke for lunch just after 1:00 and back by 2:30 p.m. One little deer must have been very close by, like I most likely walked right past him. I also believe he might be the same one I encountered underneath me this evening @4:35 p.m., however that one did come from the South, so I really don't know that for sure. Could be two different deer.

View attachment 139892
View attachment 139893

I don't know what might have lead some folks to think that I'm somehow bias in someway about hunting midday hours. I don't believe I gave such an impression and if so, please let it be known that I have killed at least three different bucks during the noon hour over the years that I distinctly recall. One of which is a nearly 140" class and the other was a real old buck with a broken left side rack that I believe if he had his entire rack completely intact that given day I killed him, he would've been something like a 20 some-eyed point buck, however, with just a small freakish type basket though. I had to skull cap him cause of the mid 80's outdoor temp when I drilled him that day, and he was a huge bodied deer that I had to deal with. I had to take care of him real super quick and didn't have time to fuss around, so that's the extreme short version story behind him.

View attachment 139895

I have done already at least a half a dozen all day sits this season, so know this; I do put in the time each year and I do know my local deer herd habits around my neck of the woods fairly well. I've been studying them feverishly over the past five years, right after I first moved to the location.

@Hunter II - I have not seen any problems with the blue-jays or cardinals in my area. I see and hear them everyday. I have tons of them, and at the other farm that I have been hunting also. Tons there as well and have not seen any dead ones laying about anywhere.
Enjoy the write up as always and the history on the cool racked buck. Was there more than @xbowguy ’s comment about midday that I missed? Seemed like a benign comment.

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Enjoy the write up as always and the history on the cool racked buck. Was there more than @xbowguy ’s comment about midday that I missed? Seemed like his just a benign comment.

No, not really, however I just wanted to clarify, just in case anyone wonders by chance. I usually hunt around my home a couple hours during the morning and evenings through most of the season. There are days however that will call for me to stay out the entire day. Hopefully the next few days will be those kinds of days.

Reactions: Cogz

Cogz

Cogz
TX
No, not really, however I just wanted to clarify, just in case anyone wonders by chance. I usually hunt around my home a couple hours during the morning and evenings through most of the season. There are days however that will call for me to stay out the entire day. Hopefully the next few days will be those kinds of days.
My midday buck this year moved right at and right before breaks in the rain. Actually slept in that day due to rain.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20211112_070616.jpg

Mornin y'all!

Day #6 in the 'Western Stand' and the fog is rolling in.

First sat down, heard a group of coyotes off in the distance to the South, up on the big hill.

Then a huge opposum underneath that stuck around until first light.

Now, nothing but blue_jays, cardinals and squirrels so far. No deer action yet.

Good luck to whomever is huntin today!