Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand 2021/22

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Recap from yesterday… I changed gears and hunted behind my house instead of the public again. Turned out to be a good decision. Very productive morning. Saw a bunch of deer including two mature bucks, and I passed up two smaller bucks that came in range. Yesterday evening one of my target bucks was locked down with a doe just off the property line. That was cool to watch.

This morning I had intentions of moving in closer and hunkering into a ground blind. Long story, but it turned into a shit show and here I am back in my treestand again. So far I’ve seen a doe, 2 button bucks, and a yearling fork horn. Nothing in this last hour though.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Shitloads of crows around me this year. Way more than usual

20211112_080655-1.jpg
do eagles follow crows or crows follow eagles? Had a murder of crows around and 2eagles land n a tree in my yard this am. Dont know about crow numbers but i see more eagles or the same amount of redtails anymore.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Shitloads of crows around me this year. Way more than usual
I'll never forget the time I was out rabbit hunting back in the 80's. I was out for a # of hrs & the whole time I would see crows flying in towards the neighboring property. Later on. I crested the ridge because of all this noise I kept hearing & what a sight .... thousands of crows were in the hillside trees. It was like the trees had black leaves. Noisy as hell once I got up on top.

WoodCoDep

BARTLETT, OH
Pretty good morning today. Saw 8 does n 2 bucks. But one of them being a buck i call the ghost. I've seen him twice now this year. If he would have turned left at the trail would have came right to me. Instead he went right and away from me, gave no craps about a grunt call lol. I've had pics in 2017 and 2019 and none this year but he's bigger I think and more massive. Hopefully can catch up with him again. I think he's 7 or 8. Had him at 75 on the 6th, and 65 today. Moved stands and cameras again for him.
20171107_143327.jpg
MFDC2710.JPG

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
High winds are making a return visit

After reading this article just moments ago, I recalled your post from earlier. Take it or leave it, by all means, it makes absolutely no difference to me. I just happen to think of your post when I came upon reading this particular paragraph and thought I'd share it with you.

"The third factor impacting deer movement has surprised all of us associated with the study. Wind velocity plays a major role in whether deer move or don’t move. I expected to see a bell-shaped curve relationship with wind speed. I thought a calm day with no wind wouldn’t be good for causing deer movement. I assumed really strong winds with possible wind speeds of 30 to 40 mph wouldn’t be good days to hunt. I initially thought that wind speeds of 12 to 15 miles per hour would be the best days to hunt. But in our statistics, we’ve seen a linear relationship. In other words, the harder and the faster the wind blows, the more deer sightings and deer kills we recorded during that 20 years.” - Dr. Sheppard

Source: https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/blogs/cuzs-corner/20-years-of-deer-research-on-deer-movement

Best of luck to you, Kevin! Hope to see you with a new set of antlers real soon! Take care!!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I promised myself I'd stay till 1 & I did. I was hoping to see more movement & I didn't. I know deer move in windy conditions & felt sure I'd see something because of that. I did not. waaah
Yeah, me too. I saw one as I was walking out. Gearing up to head back out now. The wind has kind of slowed down a bit now, so, I guess I'll find out what happens here shortly in my neck of woods. Movement has been better for me since the fog dissipated midmorning.

Again, good luck to ya!

Reactions: Outdoorsfellar