Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand 2021/22

offthegroud

Seen one buck while getting in tree on Turkey Ridge. Crusing area in past years.
20211115_100703.jpg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I'm down. Got things to do! Pulled SD card from the TC before leaving that setup. Below is all the deer activity that occurred overnight there, which also includes this mornin's bucks.

That first buck was NOT a decent buck, but rather a much smaller one than what I originally thought, but it was still pretty dark at the time and all I could see really was a couple of flashes of white antler when he poked his head up. I thought he was much bigger, oh well.

The wind has picked up considerably since midmorning, coming from the do West, which is pushing it for that setup. I heard a deer blow about 70-80 yards in, down along the creek to the NE of me not too long before I climbed down. I believe it was one of the smaller deer that beds regularly nearest to the house, but I don't know that for sure. That's the first time I believe I have had a deer blow at me from that setup this season.

The wind for this evening will be much better for that setup, still coming from the West, but more slightly SW, which I'll hunt it once again later today, completing Day #9 at that location.

Like I said before, it's a great stand that allows me to glass a vast area all around me to further understand all the deer movement patterns. I have what I believe a much better understanding now ever since the South field got mowed down last Wednesday or Thursday.

The wind will be making a drastic change starting tomorrow morning, That will allow me to get more aggressive with regards to going much further into the property to a few of my other seven stand locations. One in particular is where I have seen most of the deer activity over the past few days, which is at my 'Northwestern Stand'. I also have witnessed many of the bucks going to and from the area where my 'Southwestern Stand' is located as well, clear on the opposite side of the South field.

Anyways, as you will see, 'THUNDER' continues to visit still at my 'Western Stand' setup, but only during the dark. I think I know where he beds at night, then moves in during the day sometime, closer to my 'Northwestern Stand'.

Winds tomorrow start off coming from the East, which that will work nearly perfect for that stand location and I hope to catch him there coming from his nighttime bed, headed to his daytime bed.

If by chance I do not pull it off this week going into the weekend, next week, I'll be headed to the other farm once again to see if I can get on one of those good bucks up there. It will be much the same as to what I have been doing. Setup my 'Lone Wolf Stand' up during the afternoon hours, on a that Monday, then hunt the rest of the week there until E.O.D. Friday, then back at the house for the weekend hunts, that is "if" I haven't harvested any antlered deer by then.

'THUNDER' in the first two TC captures during the 10:30 p.m. hour...

Reactions: Big_Holla

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hunted with my buddy in Carrol county. Saw 12 in the field we pulled into too park. Had 2 go by me by 0730. Little doe then about 10 minutes later a button buck. My buddy saw a nice buck on an adjacent property with a doe bedded a 100 yards away.
Wind was horrendous. Steady gusts @24 from the SSW. Made too 10 and got down and still hunted back too the truck. We moved one of his sets. I’m taking the evening off. That wind will die down overnight to more appreciated winds tomorrow.
He’s hunting the set we moved as it’s the most suited for this wind.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20211116_071116.jpg

Mornin!

Deer were on thier feet early. 8 so far. 1 was in the creek bottom as soon as I hit the stand plateform, 1 in our field browsing, then bedded just off the field within the honeysuckles, 4 grazing in the South field, and the last two came from the West, 1 being a real good buck, IDK if he's a new roamer or not, and finally a big doe that also came from the West, 60yrds just South of me, headed towards the stand I'll be huntin out of later today.

One of the South field grazers broke from the group and traveled all the way to me to feed. It was one of the young 8's that I've had multiple encounters with this season.

20211116_065114.jpg

And right now, a buttom that's feeding as I type.

20211116_073014.jpg

I think that makes 9 deer so far, with only three within bow range.
--------------------------------------------------

Good luck to whoever is huntin today!

Last edited: