Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE! From the Stand 2022-2023 Edition

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I believe we saw a little chasing going on right before dark. Could not make out the buck but the doe ran back-and-forth from something...
It’s about that time!!

We had a doe and two bucks in the small wood lot we hunted. They were near my son but there was nothing rutty going on. Too dark for any shots. All he could see were shapes. We texted our buddy to come bump them out of the woods so we wouldn’t spook them climbing down. Being back to work / school kinda sucks today.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Beautiful morning so far, surprised beans aren't off yet. Lots of new activity at a scrape 70yrds to the east, hope one wants to dance soon.

20221024_074854.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Finally made it to a tree this morning. Thought I’d get a look at one I want to shoot but he didn’t show. A flock of turkey let me know my set up wasn’t as good now that the leaves have started to fall so I moved the set. I’m gonna try to kill this guy this week.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I’m out here sitting in the rain. Thank the good Lord for Goretex. I’m pretty comfy. First public land sit of the year… Hoping for a doe to walk by. Rutcation officially starts today so I’m basically killing time here until mid-morning, and then I have a couple treestand adjustments to make at the home property.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No service in the woods so this isn’t live. Encountered two on the way to the tree. Made it up the mountain, started up the tree and heard a big, line deer stand and start walking. Shined it but could only see it’s eyes as it walked away. My gut tells me it was likely the one I was there hoping to see.
Got settled in. Had four antlerless come down the hill. One hit the scrape, which seemed to inspire a you g buck to come and check her out. He turned and left after hitting the scrape.
A short while later five big gobblers came in and fed around my tree for a mighty long time. I really needed to leave at 9 to get to work but it was 915 before they cleared out. Fun sit. Nothing died.

djohn9713

Hunting for us is done for the year. We have been fortunate enough to hunt the last 8ish years at a property in Amish country. Really nice cabin and a couple of hundred acres. Unfortunately, the owner is in the process of selling the cabin, a bunch of the land and then the rest is being timbered heavily. Regardless, it was another great chance to hunt with my younger son, who is the one who got me into hunting (he wanted to learn so I had to learn first).

Short summary - lots of beautiful weather made for bad hunting conditions. I don't ever recall being so warm in the stand. He managed to get a button buck and I took a 6-point. His goal was if he couldn't get a good size buck he wanted one that "was tender." We hunt for meat and I was happy to fill the freezer again this year.

This morning was my last day on the property and I had great hopes of a perfect morning. When I fell asleep the weather forecast was rain stopping at 7AM. By the time I woke up it said it would stop by 8AM. Still fine timewise. So I took my climber up a tree in the only spot we had been seeing deer consistently. A few minutes after legal shooting time it was absolutely pouring and still dark. I had my hood up on my jacket, which I hate doing because it restricts my view so much, but the downpour required it (Screw the weather forecasts that said .05 inches. I think it was closer to 1/3 inch that hour).

Anyways, I had to do an exaggerated turn of my head to see to my left due to the hood blocking a lot of my vision (I had monovision LASIK a few years back and my right eye is my distance eye). By the time I turned my head I saw something about 10 yards away take off the other way. No clue, but my guess is a buck heading to a bedding area that was in the woods behind my climber location. It never made a noise and I certainly did not expect to see anything with it raining so hard.

The plan was to stay in the climber until at least 10AM. Around 9AM the rain was still coming down hard. All of a sudden the bottom of my climber dropped an inch or two. This completely freaked me out as I had not moved at all and I was alone at the far end of the property. My son had headed back to college and I stuck around to hunt a few more days.

I took it as a message to get down and be happy with the two deer. What's that old expression about pigs, hogs and getting slaughtered;-) I packed my climber, headed back to the cabin, loaded everything into the car, and headed for home. It finally stopped raining around 1PM.

The sad part is this might be the last time I get to do a hunt like this with my son. Definitely on this property. His studies are only getting more intensive and if he enters the profession he wants it will be another 7-10 years before he is even done with school. He even commented he may not get to hunt again until "I am an adult." All I know is I am glad we made the memories we did and spent so much time together.

Hunting for us is done for the year. We have been fortunate enough to hunt the last 8ish years at a property in Amish country. Really nice cabin and a couple of hundred acres. Unfortunately, the owner is in the process of selling the cabin, a bunch of the land and then the rest is being timbered heavily. Regardless, it was another great chance to hunt with my younger son, who is the one who got me into hunting (he wanted to learn so I had to learn first).

Short summary - lots of beautiful weather made for bad hunting conditions. I don't ever recall being so warm in the stand. He managed to get a button buck and I took a 6-point. His goal was if he couldn't get a good size buck he wanted one that "was tender." We hunt for meat and I was happy to fill the freezer again this year.

This morning was my last day on the property and I had great hopes of a perfect morning. When I fell asleep the weather forecast was rain stopping at 7AM. By the time I woke up it said it would stop by 8AM. Still fine timewise. So I took my climber up a tree in the only spot we had been seeing deer consistently. A few minutes after legal shooting time it was absolutely pouring and still dark. I had my hood up on my jacket, which I hate doing because it restricts my view so much, but the downpour required it (Screw the weather forecasts that said .05 inches. I think it was closer to 1/3 inch that hour).

Anyways, I had to do an exaggerated turn of my head to see to my left due to the hood blocking a lot of my vision (I had monovision LASIK a few years back and my right eye is my distance eye). By the time I turned my head I saw something about 10 yards away take off the other way. No clue, but my guess is a buck heading to a bedding area that was in the woods behind my climber location. It never made a noise and I certainly did not expect to see anything with it raining so hard.

The plan was to stay in the climber until at least 10AM. Around 9AM the rain was still coming down hard. All of a sudden the bottom of my climber dropped an inch or two. This completely freaked me out as I had not moved at all and I was alone at the far end of the property. My son had headed back to college and I stuck around to hunt a few more days.

I took it as a message to get down and be happy with the two deer. What's that old expression about pigs, hogs and getting slaughtered;-) I packed my climber, headed back to the cabin, loaded everything into the car, and headed for home. It finally stopped raining around 1PM.

The sad part is this might be the last time I get to do a hunt like this with my son. Definitely on this property. His studies are only getting more intensive and if he enters the profession he wants it will be another 7-10 years before he is even done with school. He even commented he may not get to hunt again until "I am an adult." All I know is I am glad we made the memories we did and spent so much time together.

It is unfortunate the time has come for you to have to move on from that property, all the memories you two have made there. Reminds me of some property I grew up hunting with my dad, uncle and cousins up in northern Michigan. We hunted there for many years before we were told they wanted to cut back on hunters on the property, it was heartbreaking because my dad absolutely loved hunting there. Other opportunities came as we made them. We hunted public land and he even hunted with me in the UP when I went to college. After college he bought in to the farm we now own there in Ohio. That was a blessing as that is now being shared with my kids. My point is, don't let this be it. Keep getting after it and make the most of it when you can, just make sure you are letting him know what you are doing to remind him. Sooner or later he will find the time to spend with you and who knows, maybe some day it ends up being on a new farm somewhere. You found that place and found your love for hunting with your son, don't stop looking for the next place.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Slipped into Spoil North for the first sit of the season about an hour ago. Dint disappointed.

Fawn and doe rolled up. Acting a bit skittish.

20221026_150653.jpg

Found out why about 10m later this guy comes in and bumps then chases her 50-70 yards then comes right back...
20221026_151812_04.jpg

He then stops 2 yrds from my tree, 23'-24' and hangs for 5 mins.
20221026_152019.jpg

5 deer < 60 mins.... 😀

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm in. Wet leaves. Windy. Still lots of leaves limiting view. Got to be on my toes and alert. Rain moved out. Winds are right for this stand. Can see some runs from the tree. Camera showing inconsistent night time movement with a few just before sunrise or just after sunset visits to the area. Getting closer to the right time of year. Won't know if I'm not in a tree. Good luck to everyone out.