Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I have Braydon in a blind and his Dad in another blind. Crossbows during gun season....thats how we're rolling. No good bucks on cam for 6 days...hoping that is a good sign.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
All I did was check cams. The seismic company has had their dirty Mexicans running all over the place this week, so no sense in staring at leaves. They were in there Wed/Thurs and again today. All the pics on my cams were at night. Next cam check will be all about who made it.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I can't believe I didn't shoot this doe. 50 yards right in front of me, looking at me, feeding broadside, looking at me....50 yards! I followed her down the edge of the cornfield for over to minutes with her just occasionally looking back at me.
when I dropped adam off on the other side of the woods, we agreed, "bucks only out here"....

Ain't fuggin right!

Diablo54

Outside
Should be a good evening. Broke the widow out. Hung the zipper up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417988075.973662.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Tay Tay he's our man if he can kill it no one can! Lol

See anything Tay? Great night to be out!

Drove by the farm I hunt and saw 3 vehicles parked there around 4:30. Place gets hammered every year during gun!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Saw no bucks. One doe with a couple yearlings fed out at 200yds then on an angle getting within 150-175yds. One other random deer doing its thing kept getting the attention of the trio. I suppose it was probably a button buck wandering around like they do. He was even farther away. Maybe 300-400yds.

Had I seen 10-12 does out there, I may have considered shooting one. 150-175yds open sights? Nah. They were safe. Maybe if I had been shooting regularly with it. Probably not though. My freezer is full. I was really just out to enjoy being out.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I saw a flock of turkeys, squirrels, and a cat. Good evening. Hate to put the autoloader up but like Cotty, im looking forward to late season and seeing who made it.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Sat on the porch late this afternoon and smoked a good cigar as I listed to the final gun shots of the day, reflecting on the week. My year has pretty much sucked in all ways except for this week of gun. On that point, I could not be happier.

lung buster

hocking county
We were skunked again today. I've never been so glad to see gun week over! What a crappy week of hunting! Bring on the snow and I'll throw out the corn and let the kids sling the tricks!!! Enough of the sillyness!

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
I'm also really happy for gun season to be over. Had a doe with three fawns come in with one minute of legal light left. Too bad my reasonable shooting was gone five minutes earlier... Lol it's encouraging that I was at least able to see deer in bow range on the last day of guns. It's hard to believe I wouldn't have seen more a week ago though.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418003181.619187.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418003198.401544.jpg

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yep the late season I like. I hate freezing my ass off, but it's so much more relaxed. You can take your time going out, no more rushing to get out before 1st light, no more worrying that the " action " is elsewhere. It's a matter of indifference for me, I'll care less if I don't get a deer, but it will be a wonderful accomplishment if it happens. That's what it means to me.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I dang near cried when shooting light faded yesterday. I have evolved over the years. I used to hate to see gun season coming, hated it because it signaled the end, or at the least a change, to bow hunting. I also always had misgivings that every deer in the woods was shot dead and in someone's freezer. Things have changed. Relative to what it was years ago, gun season is a very laid back thing today. I no longer see every dude with a pickup truck out trying to kill deer. I haven't seen a hillside covered with orange dots in years. It no longer sounds like a war at first light, the shots I hear these days are few and far between relative to what it once was. Now, I look at gun season as a time to swing the odds in my favor. I can sneak through those bedding areas I have avoided for 2 months. I can keep the wind in my face or ear, keep my steps light and slow, and walk right up on deer that before I had only hoped would leave their beds before sundown. My butt does not get tired of sitting. My feet may get chilly, but I'm not going to let them go numb. I don't have to have a harness tied on to keep me from plummeting to my death. If I get up late and the sun is over the eastern horizon, all the better... you can't shoot 'em when you can't see 'em! There is no "wait till tomorrow" if you suspect you haven't made the ideal shot...just follow 'em and shoot 'em again. Wait for a good angle? Nah, aim for exit. When you do take a shot, half the time the deer doesn't take a step!

The tradition of it all is what I like the most, even if those traditions only mean something in my mind. I love the smell of a freshly oiled gun. I like the rattle of 12 gauge shells in my pocket. I like the way blaze orange looks hanging on the back of our kitchen chairs the night before season. I like a Stanley thermos sitting on the table beside those orange-clad chairs. Sharpened knives, and touching the edge just to see... I like it all!

With my perspective being now clear, I gotta ask TOO, what is not to like about gun season? 51 weeks from now, I'll be as excited as a school boy again.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I don't like the weekend warriors, some who don't even know where their guns are hitting before they hunt. Another deer got wounded on the best farm I bow hunt. His dad wounded a huge buck with his crossbow back in November. I also don't like the Amish, that is all.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I dang near cried when shooting light faded yesterday. I have evolved over the years. I used to hate to see gun season coming, hated it because it signaled the end, or at the least a change, to bow hunting. I also always had misgivings that every deer in the woods was shot dead and in someone's freezer. Things have changed. Relative to what it was years ago, gun season is a very laid back thing today. I no longer see every dude with a pickup truck out trying to kill deer. I haven't seen a hillside covered with orange dots in years. It no longer sounds like a war at first light, the shots I hear these days are few and far between relative to what it once was. Now, I look at gun season as a time to swing the odds in my favor. I can sneak through those bedding areas I have avoided for 2 months. I can keep the wind in my face or ear, keep my steps light and slow, and walk right up on deer that before I had only hoped would leave their beds before sundown. My butt does not get tired of sitting. My feet may get chilly, but I'm not going to let them go numb. I don't have to have a harness tied on to keep me from plummeting to my death. If I get up late and the sun is over the eastern horizon, all the better... you can't shoot 'em when you can't see 'em! There is no "wait till tomorrow" if you suspect you haven't made the ideal shot...just follow 'em and shoot 'em again. Wait for a good angle? Nah, aim for exit. When you do take a shot, half the time the deer doesn't take a step!

The tradition of it all is what I like the most, even if those traditions only mean something in my mind. I love the smell of a freshly oiled gun. I like the rattle of 12 gauge shells in my pocket. I like the way blaze orange looks hanging on the back of our kitchen chairs the night before season. I like a Stanley thermos sitting on the table beside those orange-clad chairs. Sharpened knives, and touching the edge just to see... I like it all!

With my perspective being now clear, I gotta ask TOO, what is not to like about gun season? 51 weeks from now, I'll be as excited as a school boy again.
Well stated and I agree.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I don't like the weekend warriors, some who don't even know where their guns are hitting before they hunt. Another deer got wounded on the best farm I bow hunt. His dad wounded a huge buck with his crossbow back in November. I also don't like the Amish, that is all.
The same can be said regardless of implement used.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

I know some "serious bow hunters" who have lost half a dozen deer a year, back when we had plenty of targets. I don't know any gun-only hunters that can compete with that track record. Gun season is now my favorite time of year to hunt. There are less people in the woods than there once was...and I can carry a tack-driving autoloader for Pete's sake! I killed three deer with a bow before I ever shot one with a gun so bow hunting will probably always be my first love, but times are changing. Too many bow hunters and a whole lot less gun hunters...makes gun hunting a lot more appealing to me.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The same can be said regardless of implement used.

That's why I included 2 implements. Not saying I've never wounded a deer with a bow, I hit a nice buck in the shoulder last year, he got killed on another farm. I just know of a few guys around here that will unload on a running deer when they have no business doing so and it pisses me off. It also seems like most of the gun hunters around here don't have a clue as to why they aren't seeing any deer, maybe if they hunted more than a few days or a week a year they'd be able to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.