Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Sitting on the ground checking out this new place and just had a yearling doe come within 15 yards but snort wheezed and took off. Should have shot her maybe lol. I like this spot so far. Been here maybe 15 minutes.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Sitting on the ground tonight at the junction of 4 fence rows. I can see quite a ways from here. Not expecting to kill anything but mostly hoping to do a little recon.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
uploadfromtaptalk1445638585073.jpgpussy

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Had a decent morning. Went early afternoon and took a stand out of commission. The strap on it wasn't looking very good and I'm not going to take any chances. Hung a newer stand in the same place. Hung a whole other set somewhere else on the property.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Not sure what to think about this spot. I was doing a small remodeling job for the homeowner and since I'm ate up with deer hunting I just blurted out something like "I'll give you 300 dollars off your bill if you give me hunting permission" lol. He said sure and was real cool about it. He said hang stands, put food plots in, whatever you need to do.

I was nervous about exploring too much not knowing exactly where the property lines were and not wanting to freak the deer out too bad (10 acres with probably 5 acres being his woods). So, I decided to just set up right inside the woods by a creek. I put a camera up with a bag of corn and started getting pics right away. Only pulled the card once so far, nothing huge yet on camera.

Anyway, when I went into the woods this afternoon I picked a spot that looked ok and sat on the ground. Right when I sat down I noticed someone had a feeder a couple hundred yards away. At first I thought oh great. Then decided I could probably use that to my advantage if I can cut them off on the way to that feeder. As I'm sitting there pondering all that, that doe checked out the feeder and then started coming my way.

She was at 15 yards max, broadside and I could have shot but decided to wait and see what else came through. Saw nothing else.

Left just before dark. I was thinking if I shot one I'd be out in an unknown area with a flashlight and then a long night of dragging, skinning etc and I have stuff to do in the morning.

On my way home I noticed a jeep parked in a cornfield 2 doors down. Area is obviously hunted but the little area I have access to has not been hunted according to the land owner.

Since it's not a huge area and there seems to be some other hunters around I'm wondering if I should just try to bag a couple for the freezer and move on. Or, I can hunt it smart and hope for a big buck. Thoughts/opinions on this from anyone?

The guy is really cool and I think it's likely I can keep the spot for years to come. He is not a hunter and is not physically able to go into the woods and do anything else. I'm not sure if the feeder is a hunter or just someone who likes deer.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Sounds like you've found a good spot Joel. I'd say ride it out and see what happens. If nothing else you've got a go-to for filling the freezer. Spots like that can be good for people running deer to you off of other properties if you don't pressure it too much and they feel safe there. Especially if it hasn't been hunted

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I just looked at a map with the property lines and have a totally different opinion about this property, in a good way. I'll start another thread (fishing for some opinions) so I don't hijack this one.

Probably sound advice Isaac.

Status
Not open for further replies.