Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Longest shot with a bow?

when i started bow hunting 36 years ago i, we, did not have the vast ways of gaining knolledge we have today . all we had was books about howard hill , fred bear , ben pearson and so on . these guys would shoot at anything . if you seen it and wanted to kill it , you shot an arrow at it . my days were spent roving through the woods and pasture fields shooting at birds for practice . then when fall came i was shooting to fill the freezer. if it moved it died . i had killed many birds while practacing with my 60 lb kodiac at 50 yards and under . my longest shot that i have connected with on a whitetail was 83 steps. he died in a dead run after running about 50 yards . useing a 2219 full length and a bear b.h. with bleeders

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My first buck with a bow, the first one in the Dead Deerz thread, was 35 yards I think. I swear, I don't even remember aiming. It all happened so fast. I was 17 at the time and very inexperienced. I just reacted and I put it inbetween the 30 and 40 yard pin and let it fly.
Lucky shot for sure.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Where's Creamer and his "holier than thou" horseshit?!? Oh yeah, we didn't invite his ass!!! :smiley_adfundum:

You know the thing that always wanted to make me punch myself in the dick when arguing with him on this subject was his statement that if I were good enough, I wouldn't need to shoot 51 yards. Well son of a bitch Jeffery, I've kill close to 20 deer with a bow since 2001 and the furthest shot other than that doe was 32 yards on the buck I killed in 2008. I've killed a dozen deer inside 25 yards. Guess that's not good enough for a super star like Jeffery Creamer...

Gern186

Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I've shot over 35 bucks and a few does with archery equipment and the longest shot I can remember was 26 yards.

I just don't set myself up for longer shots, not that I couldn't make one...... I feel comfortable and practice out to 40 yards. Anything beyond 25 for me and it don't seem close enough.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Like Hoot, I started in 1974 with a Fred Bear 45#, Black Bear re-curve and cedar arrows topped with Fred Bear 2 blade/bleeder broad heads. I didn't shoot a lot of birds but did a lot of shooting and bow fishing with little info aside from books. I still have that bow as well as 6 others. I shoot both; w/ the re-curve have killed deer out to 17-18 yards. The farthest I have killed w/ the compound is 23 yards. The closet was 6 ft out from the tree.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio
My only archery kill was last year since it was my first archery season. One shot, one kill. 20 yd pin. Went 50yds and dropped within view of the stand. I would go out to 35yds and feel comfortable. Maybe (a big maybe) I would try 40yds if all the conditions were perfect. I just don't think I will need to worry about anything over 30-35yds. Most of my tree stands are setup for 30yd or under shots.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I killed my first buck with a bow at 33 yds... that's the farthest shot I've taken since then. However, yesterday I hung a new stand where most of the shot opportunities are gonna be 30+ yds, so I may have to reach out and touch one from that tree.

rrr

Limiting my shots to under 30 this year (my first for bow hunting)- but after reading all those posts it doesn't sound like that's an issue!