Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for areas to move to

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Contrast buddy! Glad you finally found it. Have fun pressure washing that airfield of a driveway. I feel your pain because mine is long as shit too. 😂.

About the leaving part. You were kidding right...... Right.... Our once upon a time competitor to this site in Ohio has a site in Indiana too. Head on over there and take a look at how big a barrel of suck that fucker is. We'll be waiting for the report. 😂.

P8riot

Carbon, In
I assume you are referring to hunt-indiana? That one is kind of lame. I tried, but no new posts, cant upload pics, etc.

Ofcourse I was kidding! I couldnt leave here.

Yeah that driveway needs some love! Its 400 feet to the house and then back to the garage. Probably 500ish feet!! A couple light patches and a reseal will be coming in spring. Everything needs power washed! I need an ATV, a 66" tow behind finish mower, a tow behind rough cut mower, atleast 10 ton of gravel to get the grass away from the house, french drains need snaked, new HVAC (the v coil was frozen when I saw the house). The tech said if it needs R22 Im screwed and I knew that because its original to the house 30 years ago. Her dad died a year ago so the house went a little south.

The good is a brand new metal roof installed a year ago, poured concrete basement (does not smell of mold at all), the floors dont squeak at all and all the garage space I could ever need! It has those dang popcorn ceilings with the blown glass...very classy (need to remove that). Its off a main state route but its 400 feet off the road. So I figured it will always be maintained before smaller roads in the area. That was one tick in the bad side, but not worth not getting it.

I love doing home improvements and maintenance. I know Im a weirdo, but I love working with my hands. IMO we got it for a pretty good price, it needs work but if I put the work in it will be better than houses going for $50,000 more. There was a contingent offer on the table, so I didnt want to hardball the daughter over a couple grand and lose the house. It ticked all our positive boxes and only a few negatives. It will take some $ upfront and then we can do projects over the years. Most likely a refinance to get a lower rate once the market corrects (if society holds on that long).

The house sits on a ridge that opens to the back field. Should be a nice area with predictable deer movement moving through that flat area from the corn fields around there.

P8riot

Carbon, In
Ugh. I told my parents last night. Didn't go well. I was expecting some grief about moving 400 miles away, but not a temper tantrum from my mom. I'm 41 years old and it took me right back to feeling like a teenager! Unbelievable. It makes me crazy when people can only be happy for someone else only when its something they want.

Hopefully a cooler head will prevail with her today, but I have a feeling the remainder of my stay here will be miserable. I was honestly thinking of just showing up with a rental truck in a month and telling them I'm moving because I had a feeling it could go South. My consciense wouldn't let me.

They were not at all happy for me and my mom described her feelings as "pissed" 🤣 The unconditional love and support from my family is heart warming.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Ugh. I told my parents last night. Didn't go well. I was expecting some grief about moving 400 miles away, but not a temper tantrum from my mom. I'm 41 years old and it took me right back to feeling like a teenager! Unbelievable. It makes me crazy when people can only be happy for someone else only when its something they want.

Hopefully a cooler head will prevail with her today, but I have a feeling the remainder of my stay here will be miserable. I was honestly thinking of just showing up with a rental truck in a month and telling them I'm moving because I had a feeling it could go South. My consciense wouldn't let me.

They were not at all happy for me and my mom described her feelings as "pissed" 🤣 The unconditional love and support from my family is heart warming.
As a parent with 2 adult children I would be sad to see them move away, especially if they had grand babies, but never would I get pissed, well I would home not, there is no excuse but I understand her being sad.

hope things come down and get better for you guys and your relationship.

Last edited:

P8riot

Carbon, In
Im married, no kids. They arent fans of my wife only for personality differences. My brother has 3 kids and lives 45 minutes away. They have not made it a secret those grand kids are the most important thing to them. I'm happy they have the grandkids to focus on and I can see it makes them so happy. My mom makes the passive aggressive comments to my wife about us not having kids. I have to hear about it every time. 😆

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Im married, no kids. They arent fans of my wife only for personality differences. My brother has 3 kids and lives 45 minutes away. They have not made it a secret those grand kids are the most important thing to them. I'm happy they have the grandkids to focus on and I can see it makes them so happy. My mom makes the passive aggressive comments to my wife about us not having kids. I have to hear about it every time. 😆
Not trying too sound like an ass, but maybe 400 miles apart ain’t so bad….. I was always a ways from immediate family, just the way it was. Never had any grief from them….

P8riot

Carbon, In
This close quarters thing, I am always pressured to be with them...every weekend. I think distance will make the heart grow fonder. They will appreciate the time we get to spend together. This isnt the first time they have done something like this. It does bring me and the wife closer. We always have each other. We make a pretty good team, most of the time. They are just a very odd case of narcicism. Im not sure where it came from.

Reactions: giles and Dustinb80
This close quarters thing, I am always pressured to be with them...every weekend. I think distance will make the heart grow fonder. They will appreciate the time we get to spend together. This isnt the first time they have done something like this. It does bring me and the wife closer. We always have each other. We make a pretty good team, most of the time. They are just a very odd case of narcicism. Im not sure where it came from.
They are getting older and realizing their time with family is very important to them. I can understand them being disappointed, especially if you plan to have kids in the future. Definitely not throwing a tantrum though. I always say we are put on this earth to love someone, make a family and be there for family and especially mom and dad in the end.