Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for broadhead recommendations

Getting to be that time of year, gotta get this shit started!! :ROFLMAO:

1628694705640.png

Creamer

Athens

Back when I used to shoot a compound, I always had great results with Slick Tricks. They're durable, fly great, and came pretty sharp. My outlook on broadheads has changed a lot over the past few years. I killed a lot of deer early on with Muzzy's, but man those things were weak and disposable. They were wrecked after a deer. Slick Trick's opened my eyes a bit to how much more durable a head could be. Lately, sharpness and the ability to sharpen heads has become a higher priority for me. I can promise you I've shot heads in the past that were nowhere near sharp enough compared to how sharp I've gotten heads the past few seasons.

The bow gets the arrow there, but once it's there, that head needs to do its job. And it's nice if it survives and is reusable. You're spending a lot of cash on these things, they shouldn't be fire-and-forget items. I've used some mechanicals in the past, I never trusted them and I still don't. Fixed blades are always fixed. Spend wisely!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Find a broadhead that spins true and is relatively “tough” and you’ll find a winner. I’m biased in the fact that I prefer a fixed blade over a mechanical. However I think hunters put too much emphasis on the broadhead and not enough on themselves. The broadhead isn’t what kills the deer… it’s the hunter’s focus, concentration, and execution that ultimately kills the deer.

Jamie

Ohio
Find a broadhead that spins true and is relatively “tough” and you’ll find a winner. I’m biased in the fact that I prefer a fixed blade over a mechanical. However I think hunters put too much emphasis on the broadhead and not enough on themselves. The broadhead isn’t what kills the deer… it’s the hunter’s focus, concentration, and execution that ultimately kills the deer.
I would argue that.

while I agree that ultimately, it's on us, even when we do everything perfectly, shit can still go wrong. deer flinch, small twigs jump in front of arrows, etc. having a broadhead the can to the job (break bone and stay in tact to deliver maximum penetration and damage) in the event of a worst case scenario type of hit is as important as any other aspect of our equipment. it is for this same reason that I think it is the responsible thing to do to use the heaviest draw weight and arrow that we can handle. this all matters very little if you hit them in the X ring every time, but that is practically impossible, so I prepare for the worst. This is a "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" decision.