Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Maumee River Walleye Run

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Nobody else fishing?? I have only made it out twice this year and only managed 1 fish. Had alot of laughs, I think I am going to jack around a little more this year and ease up on trying to run up a fish count. I think it will be more fun that way.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I haven't been in years. I have always enjoyed it but have never had any "real" luck. How long does the run last Tucky?

Beentown

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Usually until the end of April, its really just starting. If you want to give it another try your welcome to join us. We have a pretty loose group of about 15-20 guys that fish most every day so we generally stay on the fish. If you fished it before 99% of the guys switched to floaters you really should come back. Totally different thing than it was even 6-7 years ago.

Just like everything else these days we all hooked up through a walleye fishing forum. We all know how to fish so it is just a constant banter of bullshit while we do our thing. We say bad words and sometimes laugh at those that need it.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Been out thrice and have two to show for it. Not really motivated right now.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I got 2 last Saturday, but it took almost 5 hours to get them. Didn't make it down all this past week, but it looks like I might get a chance later on today.

For several days I either limmited or got 3 from 4:30 to quit at the Fire Pit
But the last few days I have taken off after this darn cold front came in

But I plan on hitting the Fire Pit early afternoon today

John

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Met up with Gern this afternoon, funny he told me roughly where he was. I figured he was off where I wanted to fish, told him I'd find him. I stumble into where I wanna fish and there he is. Not much time to socialize it was getting late. Pulled a few, snagged a few, and lost a few. Not bad considering the conditions. Cold and windy, I can't believe I did not bust an eye on my rod clearing ice, maybe 30 minutes after Chad left the freeze up started. Last year's frayed briad was freezing on the guides, reel, and anywhere else it could stick to.

Taking the family to breakfast around 10:30 and meeting up with some buddies down there noonish. If you have a bad attitude, don't like bad words, hate laughing, or just generally have a problem with people having fun stay away from the river tomorrow afternoon!!!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Met up with Gern this afternoon, funny he told me roughly where he was. I figured he was off where I wanted to fish, told him I'd find him. I stumble into where I wanna fish and there he is. Not much time to socialize it was getting late. Pulled a few, snagged a few, and lost a few. Not bad considering the conditions. Cold and windy, I can't believe I did not bust an eye on my rod clearing ice, maybe 30 minutes after Chad left the freeze up started. Last year's frayed briad was freezing on the guides, reel, and anywhere else it could stick to.

Taking the family to breakfast around 10:30 and meeting up with some buddies down there noonish. If you have a bad attitude, don't like bad words, hate laughing, or just generally have a problem with people having fun stay away from the river tomorrow afternoon!!!

Yeah Randy, that 20 yard stretch is the only place I ever fish when I'm on the island....fished it for many years. I measured those 2 fish I had, one was 22" and the other was 24. I will wait for it to warm up before making any more trips.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I'd wait until maybe later in the week before you drive too far Dale. I know the guys on the gay side have been doing pretty good but its been far from great elsewhere. Just a couple degrees in water temp would make a huge difference.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
went up for my first time yesterday, brought home one, took all day, but i didnt come home empty handed.

seems like the kind of thimg i could get into. I had a cheap set of waders, the totaly wrong pole, no net and no pouches or pockets to put things in. was definately a learning experience, might try again next week, hoping to get a couple equipment upgrades between now and then. I'll let you guys know if I do, maybe I'll bump into a couple of you for some tips.

After not fishing most of the week , due to lower back pain

I am going to brave the jack offs and head to my spot in the AM

Should be interesting to say the least
Wearing a back brace while fishing

And BTW Randy
The I always thought the Maumee side was the Gay side
And the Perrysburg side was the straight side
And thats why you fish that side :pickle: rotflmao

John

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
We did not get near the rain predicted, less than an inch in the Maumee basin stretching back to Ft. Wayne. All the heavy stuff missed us to the south. Anything is going to help but an inch or two would have been great. At least it was not another cold rain, it was close to 60 so it should get another group of fish moving up. Hopefully they are wrong with the forecast and we get another band of thunderstorms later in the week.