Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Montana pics for Badger

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Here are a few of the Montana pics. I have to get a few more loaded into the laptop but I thought this was a good start.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Beautiful country! I need to get there someday.

I would love to go back out there with the cameras we have now (these pics I took with a 35mm disposable camera) and also have the time to just take pics and take it all in. I was working when I was there and had very little free daylight time to go see the sites and take it all in and enjoy myself.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
This is a view across the valley from a road leading to Lake Como

A view from the ranch

Aftermath of a winter time avalanche at Poverty Pass

You would be shocked to see how many elk tracks was on that snow. Some parts of that slide was 30' deep

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Just to show you all what NO hunting pressure and 25 miles away from the nearest road will do to deer.

Ranger and a doe checking things out. I kept waiting for that horse to kick the shit out of that doe so we could slap some backstraps on the old fire lmao.

The first pic I was about 7' from those does. The flash went off and the looked at me but then went back to eating.
The second pic I was about 10-15' from her and she could have cared less.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I can't imagine running a trapline there. It sure would be a learning experience, not to mention a hell of a work out!

Dale,

You would be in heaven out there running traplines and living in the mountains. If I would have known better I would have stayed but at the time I was so sick of snow I wanted to head south and guide. That didn't work as planed though lol.

Back then long distance phone calls cost you and arm and a leg not to mention the only internet access we had here at the time was AOL and didn't have a local access number either. All I had was hunting magazines and the adds in that back to send resumes to. I sent out everyone I could find ranging from Florida to New Mexico and even one here in Ohio. The only one to respond was the one here in Ohio and after doing a little looking and talking found out it wasn't a good outfitter and I didn't want anything to do with it. After hitting a brick wall life turned me in a different direction and I started a family life and hunting took a back seat for 4-5 years. I got back into hunting for a couple years just to turn around and put it back in the passenger seat for another 4-5 years. Finally starting to get back into it full bore again this past year. I still wonder to this day " what would life had been like if I would have stuck with the dream all this time ? " I wouldn't change the way it has turned out for anything but you know how the "what if's " play in your head from time to time :D.

The sights,sounds,smells, and experiences can all be brought back with a simple picture or story telling season but, I sure do miss it alot sometimes.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Great pics Adam! I've got to get out there someday. Hunting would be a bonus, but just to go out and spend some time in that country would be great!!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
You could always pack up a fly rod and hit the rivers for some fishing. I never got a chance to do that but would like to someday. If you do that though might I suggest August through October :D.

Spring and the early part of summer is a waste due to the overflowing very fast moving white waters of the snow melt. Great time for kyakers and white water rafters but I don't think the fishing is all that great in the rivers :D. Might be able to hit some lakes during that time frame and do pretty well though.

No matter the time of year you go there is always something fun outdoors to get into. Life out there is nowhere near the hustle and bustle it is here. If you go during the spring and summer just make sure to watch out for the rattle snakes...there sneaky lmao.

Oh yeah, one last thing. If you go during the winter and early spring, try not TOO laugh TOO hard at the big wooly beasts standing in the ranchers pastures lmao. Damn cows with 5-6" long hair all over it's body. Was the damndest thing I had ever seen when I laid eyes on the first one lmao.

badger

*Supporting Member*
You could always pack up a fly rod and hit the rivers for some fishing. I never got a chance to do that but would like to someday. If you do that though might I suggest August through October :D.

Spring and the early part of summer is a waste due to the overflowing very fast moving white waters of the snow melt. Great time for kyakers and white water rafters but I don't think the fishing is all that great in the rivers :D. Might be able to hit some lakes during that time frame and do pretty well though.

No matter the time of year you go there is always something fun outdoors to get into. Life out there is nowhere near the hustle and bustle it is here. If you go during the spring and summer just make sure to watch out for the rattle snakes...there sneaky lmao.

Oh yeah, one last thing. If you go during the winter and early spring, try not TOO laugh TOO hard at the big wooly beasts standing in the ranchers pastures lmao. Damn cows with 5-6" long hair all over it's body. Was the damndest thing I had ever seen when I laid eyes on the first one lmao.

He is bad ass!!!!!!

I'm sure you would love to be back there and maybe guiding, but all things happen for a reason. Ohio must have something in store for you.

We will have to talk about that over a beer someday!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
He is bad ass!!!!!!

I'm sure you would love to be back there and maybe guiding, but all things happen for a reason. Ohio must have something in store for you.

We will have to talk about that over a beer someday!

Would be an honor and a pleasure to meet up with you sometime and do just that buddy. You could even learn me a thing or 2 about trapping while we are at it :D.

As far as Ohio goes, I have no idea what the plan is but I sure do wish it would hurry up lmao.