Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Moundhill's 2011 hunting log

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Don't get me wrong cotty, im upset about this buck getting taken out, but i'd rather it be from a guy i knew than from some neighboring outfitter..or one of the 894 people that hunt this land from out of state :smiley_boos:. Can you imagine that buck next year..also, he was killed about 300 yards from my stand..

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Well dad hit one tonight, but we were unsuccessful on the recovery :smiley_blackeye:.

I walked into the lunchroom and mom told me dad connected with a biggun and that he wanted me to go help track. So i was thinking, Right on! He's due. So i meet him at the house and first thing he says.."i dont think we'll find him". That sucked to hear. So he explained that the deer was facing left, slightly quartered and when dad shot he hit a limb. He said at first he though he missed but he got down and looked and so a decent amount of blood. He said the buck took off, 60 yards, stopped and looked around then bolted off again. Dad decided to pull out and give it time. So on the way out he was walking down the loggin trail and looks down and sees a pile of blood. :smiley_confused_vra. Where this stand is, is up on a big hill, with 2 loggin roads leading to the top and to the stand. So the buck ran a big loop and was down on a shelf that the loggin trail crossed. So that saved alot of tracking time. So he walks out and met us at home. We examined the arrow and i am dumbfounded by it. Theres fleshy fat and blood a little deeper than the broadhead, then throughout the arrow theres spots of blood the size of a peice of corn. Btw, when he went to get his arrow it was laying flat on the ground, not showing sign of a passthrough. So we decide to head out and track. We follow a decent blood trail of some bright red, some dark red blood. Then we see a little more blood, then some chunks of what almost had to be lung, and bubbly blood. This is about 250 yards from the initial shot. So things were kinda looking up. We lost blood a few times, but eventually got back on the trail. About 325 yrds into the blood trail the blood just stops..i mean its a decent trail to just nothing..nadda..:smiley_confused_vra. So dad diablo and begin walkin, looking up down, here there, in bottoms, in thick stuff..nothing. My guess is that he stopped and licked his wound maybe? Then ran straight down the hill and crossed the road. Either way it sucks for dad that we couldnt find him. Diablo and Dad even went and tried to use a bloodhound of diablo's uncles. But nothing, he's still a pup too. So i'm debating on going out tomorow or just going to school. I'm confused on where he hit this buck at. I mean, little penatration, but then lung blood, and blood squirting out the opposite side of which the shot was taken seems like a definite passthrough, but the arrow shots penatration of only about 4 inches.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I shot mine square in the gut and out the hindquarter.. Had a ray charles blood for 200 yards.. Then nada.. Arrow had fat and blood on it. It took that deer over 10 hours to die and was jumped out of his bed 9 hours after the shot.. He had a few spots that looked like lung blood, but it was just coagulated.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I was gonna head out and do some filming in the morning, but it's 60 degrees rght now, and some rain on the way, so i'll be sleeping in. Hopefully i'll make it out for an evening sit with my camera.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Here's some pics of the mesed up buck i saw i a few weeks ago. Reminds me of CJD's buck..

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Been doing some doe hunting lately. This morning's sit was a bust, saw 0 deer and shot a chipmunk that somehow didnt die..i'll be back at her tommorow though. Man do i want some snow TOO :tantrum:

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Dad and i headed out this mornin to try and take some does with the muzzys. We sat in a c shaped hay field until shooting light then skirted around the bend looking ahead to hopefully see a deer feeding. We were walking when a deer down below us in a bottom winded us, blew, and ran. So my attention was attracted over there, and when i looked back up, about 200 yards out i saw a brown looking figure. At first it looked like a small deer, until i saw it turn and run..it was a yote..a big yote. So i ran to my left a little ways to get positioned and try to squeeze off a shot, i kneeled down and looked through the scope and the yote stopped running, perfetly broadside, just enough time for a quick shot. After the smoke cleared we walked up and looked for blood, but nothing. We did see where my bullet hit the ground and according to that i would say i shot just over it. I woulda loved to have killed him though, it was a really brown colored yote too, woulda made for a sweet mount..but oh well. It was worth a shot. After that we did some still hunting and saw 5 does, but no available shots.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Well I figured I would update this for one last time. I've been running cams and doing a LITTLE scouting lately.

Here's a pic of the ol beagle dog waiting on me to get back from a little scouting/cam runnnin.