Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My 8 year old boy got his first!!!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
My son, Dane just turned 8 in November...he wanted to go deer hunting this year for the first time so I got him an apprentice license and youth deer permit. I got him set up with a single shot H&R 20 gauge, scope, and shooting sticks to steady the gun. After practicing a few times we were dialed in. We went out during the youth season. The first morning we had a 130" 8 pointer standing broadside at 35 yards for almost a minute....he wouldn't shoot because he was afraid the gun was going to hurt him! Well, the buck didn't stick around long enough for me to talk him into shooting it. The rest of the weekend was uneventful, we saw some deer, but nothing in range ( 50 yards or less is what I wanted him to shoot). I took him out during shotgun season a couple times and nothing again, so this bonus weekend was our last chance.

With the weather being as cold as it was last weekend I opted to not hunt the mornings and just hunt the afternoon and evenings......No chances on Saturday, so we went out about 2:00 on Sunday afternoon and had 2 nice does in at 80-90 yards, but I wouldn't let him shoot, I felt they were a little too far. Well, as luck would have it a group of 15 deer came out of the woods and to within range of our brush pile blind with about 10 minutes of legal shooting time. I cocked the gun for him and told him to take his time and he made an awesome shot at this doe at about 60 yards, double lunged her, she ran about 75 yards and piled up on the run!!

He was about as excited as I have ever seen him when she fell over and I was excited too, as you can imagine. I think he is hooked on hunting now, he has been asking if we can go again soon.

I am going to get this doe mounted for him, actually I'm heading for the taxidermist tonight!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
congraqts gern....bet you couldn't wipe that smile off his face all night...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is pretty awesome, Gern. I can't wait for the day that I get to have an experience like that TOO!