Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My doe kill...

rrr

I just think it's funny that you pack all that shit in - totally understandable - and then your average sit is like what 3 hours? Which is understandable too with your work schedule...but put the two together and by the time I got my shit settled, it'd be time to pack it up!

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I just think it's funny that you pack all that shit in - totally understandable - and then your average sit is like what 3 hours? Which is understandable too with your work schedule...but put the two together and by the time I got my shit settled, it'd be time to pack it up!

Here's the thing: I've only packed this all the way in a couple of times this year. I do not hunt out of this all the time. That set-up is for the 10 days that are staring me down the barrel. My average sit will jump 2+ hours after my vacation is over. While I have used the Millennium a few times this year, I own it for making moves and for spending lots of time in during the rut. I still have several other stands in the woods. Just so happens we don't have one at this spot because it is so close to other activity. I'd rather not tip anyone off to our presence in this spot. It is totally worth the 500 yard walk and 15 minutes to set it up though. I've sat it twice for a total of 10 deer in 5 hours. Not too shabby...

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Not sure there is ever much of a story to go with a doe kill, but I’ll indulge those that have been waiting to her about my latest success!

It was brought to my attention that the preceding words were perhaps "condescending" and bordered on "disrespectful". I mention this publicly because I feel there is some validity in that statement. Meaning, I can see how others might feel the same way. I admit, I could have and should have phrased what I meant to say a little more delicately than I did.

Perhaps the driving force behind my hunting is the stories you are left with. Not much makes me happier. With the hunts I have in progress with Hook Junior and Crazy Rack, the story of this doe pales in comparison. The process of harvesting her compared to those two, involves the same dedication, skill, respect, etc. that separates bowhunters from the rest of the world. It is simply a different outcome. A side effect of that outcome, is a story that is just not as good as it is with a big old buck you've built a relationship with.

I did not mean to make light of or diminish the task of harvesting a mature doe just because it was a doe. She made a good story; uniquely hers. But she ain't no Deuce. It was kinda a back handed compliment so to speak...

rrr

Here's the thing: I've only packed this all the way in a couple of times this year. I do not hunt out of this all the time. That set-up is for the 10 days that are staring me down the barrel. My average sit will jump 2+ hours after my vacation is over. While I have used the Millennium a few times this year, I own it for making moves and for spending lots of time in during the rut. I still have several other stands in the woods. Just so happens we don't have one at this spot because it is so close to other activity. I'd rather not tip anyone off to our presence in this spot. It is totally worth the 500 yard walk and 15 minutes to set it up though. I've sat it twice for a total of 10 deer in 5 hours. Not too shabby...

Good thoughts, I enjoy picking your brain and listening to what you do and reflect that in what I do, and will do in the future.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
HA! We were joking about that yesterday. You gotta be tough and dumb to hunt like I do!!! Do I need all that shit? No. But I am 100% comfortable with how I'm hunting right now when I roll with that mobile set-up. In all seriousness, you need to have some resemblance of "shape" to you haul that shit in and out. With 30 pounds on your back and sometimes as much as 20 pounds in the pack if I am taking in extra clothes, you can't be a pussy and haul that shit 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile to hunt. I supposed I could carry an ultra light climber with nothing but my bow and release, but that ain't me. I love the comfort in my stand set-up and my pack, well it has everything I might need. And if you know me, you know I always pack heavy cause you just never know!!!

Besides, I prehung that stand on Thursday and drove the quad to the deer to pick everything up. Makes life a lot easier!

Well I guess you're right... Afterall, round is a shape... LOL

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Nice doe man! I will be quite honest when I say that does are almost always harder to kill with a bow than bucks, and I am serious......Their instincts are just so good and they have extra senses that I just can't explain.

You should be able to put a good buck on the ground with no problem.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I might be a little on the chubby side my friend, but I can work. Big boys can get shit done! ;)

Oh I agree. I pack in just as much. Guys at camp look at me like I'm nuts. I laugh at them sitting in the same tree day after day year after year.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Congrats Jesse! Hoping to connect soon myself. Problem is you can't hunt if you are working. Nice job!