Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Saturday hunt stupidity

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
3:50 AM, up and at 'em, throw on clothes and out the door.
Drive two hours to farm in Southern Ohio, roll in at 6am.

Didn't eat any breakfast 'cause I didn't wanna have to take a dump in the field.

Just as I'm getting into my blind I get the snort-wheeze. Dammit!

Stayed in the blind until about 9, then was gonna climb a 400 ft hill still hunting.
Ate a pack of cheese crackers and a mini snickers. Ended up being all I ate till 7pm.

Tons of tracks and sign all over the hillside, but I saw nothing all morning. Just before noon I was almost to the top of the hill, and I was outta gas, needed to sit down. There was a tree that had fallen across the logging trail I was walking up, so I brushed the snow off and sat down to rest. Leaned my muzzy up against the log next to me. Next thing I know I'm dozing sitting there. Sitting up, dozing. Woke up and said "sit here just another minute or two, then onward and upward". Next thing I know I'm waking up from a doze, and two does are loping past me from my left at about 25 yards. I reach over to get my gun and they see me move and pick up the pace, running up the hill. I have one in the scope but don't wanna shoot at 'em moving...tried to stop them but they were having none of that and kept moving up the hill. Finally they near the top and stop, and one offers a broadside shot. It was about 100 yards, uphill, I was standing up, leaning to one side trying for a clear shot...and I missed.

Didn't see anything the rest of the day, except for a blood trail that was not mine, headed downhill. No other tracks in the snow, so nobody had tried to track the injured animal. Neither did I, cause I was almost to the top and I'd be danged if I was going down. Still wondering about that situation.

Moral of the story: Stay alert!

rrr

Everyone's struggles in deer hunting: finding deer, getting said deer close enough, getting shot opportunity at said deer that's now close enough, and finally, shooting the said deer that you finally found, got close enough to, and got a shot opportunity at...

Danman's problem: staying awake.

:D

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Is it the age thing? I seem to doze off these days also never did that before??? Usually just for a few minutesi guess its the body telling us I need some time lol..... sorry you didn't get it done with the Muzzy but January is coming :)

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
On the stupidity scale that one is pretty low and since it involved a doe really hardly counts. Don't beat yourself up over it.

However in the "Excuse" thread I don't remember "sleep hunting" being used as an excuse, you might want to go back and add it. :smiley_bril:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Don't worry about it Dan. It happens from time to time. Cold weather,little sleep,little food in your belly...it is inevitable.

I did happen to get a pic of the other deer that you didn't see though. Good thing is, he will be there next year bigger and better for your buck tag since yours is filled already this year.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
I had a stupidity hunt saturday too....still can't believe that I missed that doe at 30 yrds....she has racing stripes now.....I would say that yours isn't that bad. Keep at it you will get another chance.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That sucks, Dan. Dozing in the woods is something I kind of enjoy sometimes, especially during Turk Season... but there's always a risk involved LOL.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
That sucks, Dan. Dozing in the woods is something I kind of enjoy sometimes, especially during Turk Season... but there's always a risk involved LOL.

Yeah, me too. Early season I make my brush blinds in such a manner that I can lay down if I want.... actually took an hourandahalf nap one afternoon...who knows if anything walked by? But man, sittin up in the wide open, at noon...they really caught me off guard. Dangit!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Dan,

You can always look at the positives that happened.

1) The scent Smoker works
2) Sitting still won't spoke the deer
3) Snoring will not scare deer. Might actually attract them

Just have to look at the cup as half full here buddy :D.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Dan,

You can always look at the positives that happened.

1) The scent Smoker works
2) Sitting still won't spoke the deer
3) Snoring will not scare deer. Might actually attract them

Just have to look at the cup as half full here buddy :D.

Oh hell yeah...I learned alot on that hill that day. Snow really tells the story. And I drug my bigass all the way to the top. That was an accomplishment in itself.
I see deer - I shoot at deer. I occasionally kill 'em too. It's just kind of ironic, that i busted ass for 3 hrs stillhunting and the moment I let my guard down opportunity came. If I'd been sitting there awake with my gun across my lap I'm sure it woulda turned out different. But my prehunt prayer was answered - i had opportunity, and it was a clean shot - just a clean miss instead of hit. I still got a good attitude.

I really hope the wifey gets me the 4wheeler for Christmas and is not just teasing me along....that will really change my hunting dynamic.