Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need Input - Gonna start the search for a 4 wheeler

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
1023, here are a few photos of Hillsville, hope you looked at some of the video's. I can hook you up with my boss that grew up close to that area and rides quads as well as dirt bikes, he is a crazy MF riding those hills. He would show you a good time and he has the helment camera to record all the fun.

Look real close at this one guys, look at the riders and the height of this hill...........

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We've got a Polaris sportsman 500 down at my mom's house. I ride it quite a bit and really like it... smooth ride and plenty of power, handles pretty well... except it seems a little top-heavy. If I try to turn sharp with a little bit of speed it'll try to roll on ya. This is pretty much the only ATV I've ridden so I don't know how it would compare to other makes/models.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We've got a Polaris sportsman 500 down at my mom's house. I ride it quite a bit and really like it... smooth ride and plenty of power, handles pretty well... except it seems a little top-heavy. If I try to turn sharp with a little bit of speed it'll try to roll on ya. This is pretty much the only ATV I've ridden so I don't know how it would compare to other makes/models.

I've got a Polaris sportsman 425 4x4 it's a 97 and I use it strictly for hunting and putting around with... For that it's been a great bike... Hauled out plenty of deer and and hasn't let me down one time... I know if your riding trails and out for the weekend jaunts other bikes might be better but for the money I have invested I'm ahead of the game and haven't had any issues....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Riverdude- Those first videos were not very impressive. Glad you put the pictures up of the dirt bike on the hill. That got my ears perked up. Last time we were in the Hatfield McCoy trail system the owner of the inn we stayed at rode with us a couple times. He showed us a hill and I wanted to climb it. The guys said "No. We are heading home today and if you don't make it, you are going to be life flighted out of here." Bring on the gnarly stuff buddy! The owner of the Inn said he has never seen anyone climb it. Not even some of the pro riders he has ridden with. That was enough to make me want to be the first one to the top!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
There is no way I am trying to climb that hill......Thats rediculous...

Wish I had pictures of some of the hills in Wellsville, but I think that hillsville has them beat by far...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wellsville? ST. Clairesvile? Don't these towns all host GNCC races? I know I have been to the one in southern Ohio, but don't remember the name of the town. The John Penton GNCC.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Riverdude- Those first videos were not very impressive. Glad you put the pictures up of the dirt bike on the hill. That got my ears perked up. Last time we were in the Hatfield McCoy trail system the owner of the inn we stayed at rode with us a couple times. He showed us a hill and I wanted to climb it. The guys said "No. We are heading home today and if you don't make it, you are going to be life flighted out of here." Bring on the gnarly stuff buddy! The owner of the Inn said he has never seen anyone climb it. Not even some of the pro riders he has ridden with. That was enough to make me want to be the first one to the top!

I was shocked when we got to the "Super Bowl" and how deep it really was, this place is huge, 100's and 100's a acres to ride. We had a couple guys riding with us on dirt bikes and was amazed at what these crazy bastards could do on a bike. My boss told me alot of pro riders come to Hillsville to pratice on. It's got something for everyone.
Glad you guys like the video's and pictures. Be safe.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
On to the details.....

Technically the area covers setions of Hillsville, Bessemer, Edinburg, and North Beaver PA, as well as Poland OH.

Its an old strip mine, which in recent years, and currently, areas are being re-striped. The area is a popular location for ATV and dirtbike riders. There are local names for some of the locations such as "super bowl" "the sand dunes", "big tit hill", and "mad dog hill". There is something for everyone here, the area covers roughly 1200 square miles or more.

HOW TO GET THERE:
If you want to get there, and park without any issue, follow Rt. 224 to Christine Lane in Edinburg PA, 16116. There is a plaza at the end of Christine lane that is called "Hilltop Centre" (yes, spelled that way.) You can park your vehicle there without any issue, and then proceed to cross over 224 into a housing development, on ANDREWS ROAD and follow the main road directly into the quarry. You can also park at the Mahoning township building without any issues. I ride there on a weekly basis, as do MANY ORVs without any issue.

There is also a section of trails located behind Hilltop Centre if you go into the housing development there. Follow Christine lane in, and down the center road all the way to the end. There is a home at the bottom of the hill, and you will see the trail entrance there. This trail can be followed along the mahoning river, and into Loweville PA, or into New Castle depending on direction taken. You can also reach Quaker Falls from here, or access BFI and ride some of the stip mine areas there.

:smiley_bike: :smiley_bike:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

Hatfield - McCoy is awesome! We had a group of guys go and had a blast. Only drawback was when we went there was a long drought and the trails were 2-3 inches of powder. Couldn't see shit unless you were leading. There was no water or mud to be found.
I'll be going back though! Maybe we should set up a weekend and all go down together. It is a great place.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Riverdude,
I'm not too far from there. Is this a place for the casual rider at all? I'm not into the daredevil shit. I have a buddy that is and really wants to check this out. Me? I'm more of a spectator and I just cruise around on my King Quad.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
From "personal/getting your ass handed to ya" experience, the clips posted of hill climbing never do the true incline or height of the hill justice. The super bowl is hard to get a good scale of.

I would bet, there is something there for every rider here to have fun on from hills, trails,water,mud and sand drags...
to a hill that will hand you your ass and leave you and your machine a little or alot worse shape than when you came.
Just say en

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Riverdude,
I'm not too far from there. Is this a place for the casual rider at all? I'm not into the daredevil shit. I have a buddy that is and really wants to check this out. Me? I'm more of a spectator and I just cruise around on my King Quad.

Cotty, You could have a great day just cruising around. There are miles and miles of trails to just enjoy with little-no risk aside from a few areas that are kinda rocky-(watch the clearance unless you have armor plates under) You may want to bring a GPS due to the miles and miles of trails. One area leads to another which leads to another...

The real problem is knowing enough to say "not me". After a few hours and a rider gets tempted to push their limits...

Dude and I had a blast that day!
1 rider was very experienced and did some crazy hills, 3 riders were just enjoying the variety of the place, 1 rider was fuggen nuts and of the 2 bikes that joined up, 1 just played along easy and the other rode pro. and made us pucker at the hills he went up from a dead stop at the base. No running start... and some times he did lay it down toward the top, walk and slide and do what ever to get it back down in 1 piece...

Crazy rider on hill = smoke break for me now. lol

Last edited:

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Cotty, CJD pretty much summed it up. Ok, I am not a crazy Mutha to climb alot of those hills. I was getting braver and braver then I had a near roll. I got lucky and my pecker did a Dannmann and I had major shrinkage, lol. After that I took it pretty easy and then watched the dudes on the dirt bikes and my boss on his quad that I must admitt is a hell of a rider.

As CJD said, if you were to see the "Super Bowl" in peson you would just be in WOW!! I sat up on the top just staring down into it for 5 minutes. There is a round about way to get down into the bottom ( Which I took ) and watched the better riders.

If anyone goes I hope you have a winch, I had to pull out to quads in a mud hole, lol.

:smiley_bike:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
cotty, cjd pretty much summed it up. Ok, i am not a crazy mutha to climb alot of those hills. I was getting braver and braver then i had a near roll. I got lucky and my pecker did a dannmann and i had major shrinkage, lol. After that i took it pretty easy and then watched the dudes on the dirt bikes and my boss on his quad that i must admitt is a hell of a rider.

As cjd said, if you were to see the "super bowl" in peson you would just be in wow!! I sat up on the top just staring down into it for 5 minutes. There is a round about way to get down into the bottom ( which i took ) and watched the better riders.

If anyone goes i hope you have a winch, i had to pull out to quads in a mud hole, lol.

:smiley_bike:

what the hell is that???

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Wrong verbage Dude....
For your pecker to do a "Dannmann" it would have had to have been on a search and destroy mission, slaying everything in it's path. Like a heat-seaking missile.

Sounds like it did a "Jeffie"....meaning it got that one-eyed deer-in-the-headlights look, then curled up in the fetal position.

:smiley_crocodile::smiley_blameshift::smiley_bike:

Last edited: