Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need Input - Gonna start the search for a 4 wheeler

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
You know... I live right by Wellsville and never rode those trails. I always hear bad stories about terrible accidents there.

If you live by wellsville, we will ahve to hook up this summer and have a couple beers. I am there every weekend at the cabin. I have neever gone back there nor do I care to. There are too many drunken idiots back there on quads, drirt bikes, and rail buggies.

Someone dies every holiday down there.....Its rediculous.

Last edited:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If you live by wellsville, we will ahve to hook up this summer and have a couple beers. I am there every weekend at the cabin. I have neever gone back there nor do I care to. There are too many drunken idiots back there on quads, drirt bikes, and rail buggies.

Someone dies every holiday down there.....Its rediculous.

Sounds like a plan. I'm only 25 minutes away. Or, you could swing down my way with your quad and i could take you to our "Creek Trail". It's a good one!
That goes for anyone else who would like to ride. It's a really cool trail. Used to be almost 50 miles round trip, but some of the trails have been blocked. However, we can still milk an all day ride out of it.
Park at my house and take off.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Wrong verbage Dude....
For your pecker to do a "Dannmann" it would have had to have been on a search and destroy mission, slaying everything in it's path. Like a heat-seaking missile.

Sounds like it did a "Jeffie"....meaning it got that one-eyed deer-in-the-headlights look, then curled up in the fetal position.

:smiley_crocodile::smiley_blameshift::smiley_bike:

LOL, Oh my bad Dan..............:)

Don't forget when you get your quad to get one of dem bicycle flags for the back and dem little streamers for the hand grips. lol

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Dan,
Sorry this thread turned into another "blind loyalty" type deal...
Dodge,Chev,Ford
Winchester,Mossberg,Remington
Kawaski,Honda,mule...

Guess if nothing else, you know whats popular by opion...

Did you get anything from it or do you still have specific questions we can help with?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My buddy texted me yesterday. I know he hasn't had any issues with this and has only used it up here in flat country for deer duties and hauling corn. 2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 twin with about 200miles. $3500. I was one of the ones that said stay away from Polaris, but if I can help two friends out, that seems pretty decent for a quad that hasn't been hurt at all. I would still say to stay away from the older ones. I will let the guys on here chime in about some of the more recent models. Personally, I have seen this and it has not been hurt at all. I would just be leery myself due to the brand and their past. My 2cent.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I've had two rincons and trust me there is no better atv made. You can play with it or work with it. All I do is play though... Ask my buddy that killed that big brow buck. He got a new 500 polaris. He says its the biggest mistake of his life. He's had it in the shop at least five times since june. Belt trouble three times and oil leaking out of piece of junk the other two times.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Dan,
Sorry this thread turned into another "blind loyalty" type deal...
Dodge,Chev,Ford
Winchester,Mossberg,Remington
Kawaski,Honda,mule...

Guess if nothing else, you know whats popular by opion...

Did you get anything from it or do you still have specific questions we can help with?

Well, I appreciate everyone's responses and have learned some things and this is what I've come away with:

1) Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki are good names.
2) Anti-Polaris people have very strong emotions; Pro-Polaris people aren't passionate at all, they just say "it's been ok for me". From what I can tell is that if you get a good Polaris and don't put it thru destructive paces it'll be ok.
3) Arctic Cat - stay away.
4) 4WD is a must
5) A winch is highly recommended
6) 350 or 400 CC or higher will handle me, my gear, and a deer

I've been telling my wife for the last 3 weeks that I want a 4whlr for Christmas. Told her it's the only thing I need that I don't have. My strategy was not to get her to buy one, just to get her used to the idea that I was gonna get one. At first she was like "yeah right", then it turned into "I don't know how to go about buying one..." and I can tell I'm wearing her down. Then a couple days ago I showed her one on Craigslist that I'm very interested in and she started pushing back and asking me to wait until spring blah blah blah. So this morning I left her a note with specs and told her "If you DO decide to get me a 4whlr, this is what you need to know (4wd, 350-400cc or above, H-Y-K ok, AC or Polaris NO!) So she calls me and says "I thought you said you wanted a Polaris?" and I explained what I'd picked up from this thread....and she says "what are you gonna do if you get one with a big red bow on Christmas morning?" So now I'm thinkin she's done something - I've been nagging her all day and she just keeps laughing at me. Sooo.....either I've got a 4whlr comin on Christmas or she's put a beautiful mindhump on me and stringin me along like a chump to keep me shut up about buying a 4whlr for the next two weeks.

(4 years ago she got up on Xmas morning to find a new Honda Accord in the garage with a big red bow on it)

CdBurner

She probably got you a Polaris and is scratching her head now. LOL

I would be cool with my wife doing that for me.