Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

No place for a tree stand .....scaffolding tower blind ?

I have been granted sole permission to hunt a local farm
As the land owner is tired of me asking nicely :smiley_clap: and he wants someone to be around form time to time

OK not a big place
120 total acres with about 80 in feilds , 10 acres of overgrown creek botton, 20 or so in CPR and 10 un farmable due to a limestone ridge

The limestone ridge area is over grown with brush and smaller trees

The CPR is over grown with trees and brush , but nothing bigger than 4-5" at the stump
The CPR feild is realy almost unfarmable also due to all the rocks and shallow soil

The creek bottom , again small trees and brush

The farm was just logged last year and they left few trees usable for tree stands any place even close to a decent spot

While walking the place again today
I found 2 spots just begging to be hunted , would need 4 stands to cover the normal wind directions
Both don't have a tree bigger than 4" at the stump with in 75 yds

One spot I can use a ground blinds , 1 in a dozer pile is ready made
But the other I need to get up to be efective

I have a bunch of the old style ( no longer aproved ) scaffolding

I am having a posibly crazy idea of building 1 or 2 scaffolding tower blinds
I could put them up so I was IN the limbs of the small trees
Maybe a camo burlap screen to hide behind
Nice platform for a seat
Just have to anchor the scaffolding down so the wind couldn't blow it over

A decent idea ?
Or did I inhale to much sketter spray and am about to loose it completely ?

John

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
John what are you hunting with Compound or crossbow? If you are hunting with a crossbow I'd make some ground blinds in some good ambush spots.... If with compound that's a lot more dificult and easier too get busted drawing on them.... Good luck with the scalfolding, as long as you can get a good solid anchor I'd think it would be alright just make sure it's in some good thick background too break your outline up....

I use both a Compound and crossbow
It all depends on how my shoulder feels

Cover behind me is a thick mix of hardwoods and pine
I am thinking of using 3 5' sections
With the top section to hold the blind , so my feet would be 10' off the ground
With the tree's and brush mostly 15' - 20' tall behind me

I was looking to see if I could dig a pit blind
But I hit rock 6" down

As I love pit blinds

John

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've hadvgoodvresults brushing in next too a travel route and busting them with the crossbow.... but you know the lay of the land and your best avenue.... sounds like you've got a handle on it....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Only thing with scaffolding is how noisy it can be. Seems every piece of scaffolding I have ever climbed was terribly noisy.

We do have some free standing tree stands which we offer for sale. I carry Big Dog and Rivers Edge tree stands. Big Dog has a 12' Quadpod and a 16' Bow quad. Both have enclosures. However, you would be looking at $425-$450 on these respectively. I also have one 14' Tripod left which is $210. Not trying to push them on you. I wish you the best of luck whatever way you go. Just throwing the idea out there.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Thats what i was thinking, why not one of those quad blinds...or i know menards always has a quad with just a seat for like 250 every year.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thats what i was thinking, why not one of those quad blinds...or i know menards always has a quad with just a seat for like 250 every year.....

Are you sure on the price of this one? Hell, I can't buy them this cheap. Maybe it isn't the same one I carry either though. Not sure.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I would be scared to use the scaffolding when it got wet or a little snow on it...That would be pretty dang slick right there. I seen a guy take a TV antenna tower and attach a hang -on stand to it and strap the tower to the tree. That might work better for you ? Or you could get one of the tri-pods Hicks has. I would hate to see you slip off the scaffold and hurt yourself ya know.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
TV Tower is a neat idea RC!

I would not hesitate to build a tree house 8-10 ft. off the ground w/ a roof and side skirt or side walls. ( But I'm getting old and a tree house is starting to better to me each year...)Especially if you have a good back-ground of small trees, grape vines or a pine.
Just get it up ASAP so they can get use to it. I've never tried a tri-pod but thought about it.

Ground blinds are fun and be very intense TOO. A freshly logged wood lot can offer a maze of nooks and crannies to hide in. Take a small chain saw and carve out a nest in a pile of tree tops. Just that sometimes the wind can be a real bitch washing back and forth around all that jumble of tree limbs.
Best of luck this year!

Last edited:
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Only thing with scaffolding is how noisy it can be. Seems every piece of scaffolding I have ever climbed was terribly noisy.

We do have some free standing tree stands which we offer for sale. I carry Big Dog and Rivers Edge tree stands. Big Dog has a 12' Quadpod and a 16' Bow quad. Both have enclosures. However, you would be looking at $425-$450 on these respectively. I also have one 14' Tripod left which is $210. Not trying to push them on you. I wish you the best of luck whatever way you go. Just throwing the idea out there.

I thought about your stands
But being a cheap SOB , I was hopeing to use what I already had

I think I am going to try a dry run in the back yard
I will bolt the pins in place both top and bottom , no quick clips
Probely bolt the planks down also and add a piece of carpet

If all else fails ( before I sink any cash into this )
I may just talk to you about that tri pod

John

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio

Yeah. The guy decided to put it up about 75 yards off my mineral site. He will be leaving soon :smiley_crocodile:

0429111335.jpg 0429111335a.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No worries either way John. I am here if you need me. Otherwise, I will offer help or suggestions when I can. I am a tightwad too, but when I spend it I want to spend it well!

Huckleberry Finn

Adam, quit posting pictures of my shit on here.

Hey Johnch - have you ever seen the pictures of Jesse's paradise blind tower?

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
My buddy has done just what you are saying John but for gun. Let the deer get used to it and they are great for bow. I keep saying I am going to do the same thing but weld all the connections.

I tryed TV tower stands years back
But all the tower's that I found
Had the rungs to far apart for my short legs

I just finished putting 3 sections togeather in the back yard
I think it will work

But I need to get more bolts and 2 more weatherproof planks

Might get the frame's up today
Nice thing , I can drive within 100' of the the stand locations

John

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My buddy has done just what you are saying John but for gun. Let the deer get used to it and they are great for bow. I keep saying I am going to do the same thing but weld all the connections.

Sounds like a very good idea to make it safer and quieter....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to hear about your newly-acquired hunting ground, John... Sounds like it could be a good one.

The scaffolding sounds like it could work, as long as you make it nice and sturdy/silent. I don't know exactly how much effort that would take, but is it really worth it? In a situation like that, I think I would be more inclined to spend that effort in some natural ground blinds. Obviously every property is a little different so you probably have a better handle than I on the best route to take here. Just remember that ground blinds are extremely effective, silent, easy to get into, and invisible to other hunters if you're careful.