Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Northern MI

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Thanks for all the well wishes everyone!! We are having a great time thus far. Put nearly 6 miles on the boots today total while scouting. The most and freshest sign is where I hunted this morning, but I set up differently knowing what I know now. I am right above a scrape and within range of a rub line that is going along this marshy area on the down wind side. I have a great vantage point looking over most of it, and fairly open in the timber to my right. Gonna do a soft rattling sequence and see what happens. Did find some acorns under an oak 20 yards away as well. Slight NW breeze and very light rain off and on. Depending on what happens tonight I may sit in this same tree again in the morning, unless deer movement tells me other wise. I have great cover here too. I believe my dad is sitting this evening out and driving around checking for tracks on the dirt roads in the area pretty sure we’re having filet on the black stone for dinner tonight 😋
52D421EB-92C1-4347-A2D7-B04001F920CD.jpeg
C029926A-1DEC-46E6-A6C2-6FEBA764ED55.jpeg

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Ended the evening with a 2 x 1 buck at 12 yards. Slipped right in on me but followed the script. Just need one with 3pts or more on one side or a doe. Definitely gives me confidence for the morning hunt. Forecast changed, instead of the high being in the 50s it’s only gonna get up to 43° with sustained wind of 15mph and gusts up to 25mph, but no more rain. Not sure how that is going to affect the deer movement but I’ll be in a tree hoping for a deer or porcupine (I really really wanna shoot a porcupine 😂).

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
In my same setup from yesterday evening, got in here about 45 minutes before first shot. Heard one deer crossing the marsh to my west in the dark. Right at first light I had what I think was a doe step into 20 and must’ve seen me move and took a couple bounds and stopped behind a tree. Couldn’t identify it for sure. Sounded like it worked back to the north. Sounds like there may have been another coming from the opposite direction but I haven’t heard it in a little bit. May have bedded down on the edge of the marsh. Currently 34° with a light and varying NW wind. I am definitely happy I brought my heavier gear this am.

Fletch

Supporting Member
In my same setup from yesterday evening, got in here about 45 minutes before first shot. Heard one deer crossing the marsh to my west in the dark. Right at first light I had what I think was a doe step into 20 and must’ve seen me move and took a couple bounds and stopped behind a tree. Couldn’t identify it for sure. Sounded like it worked back to the north. Sounds like there may have been another coming from the opposite direction but I haven’t heard it in a little bit. May have bedded down on the edge of the marsh. Currently 34° with a light and varying NW wind. I am definitely happy I brought my heavier gear this am.
Hmmm.... That walking might have been a yogi looking for his next meal... How high up are you??? :eek::eek:

• Haha
Reactions: TinyTucky

Fletch

Supporting Member
Hell.... That eagle just made your trip... Hey... Dave never seen a set of balls from MI so let's get it done, so he's a Happy Boy... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Johnny44

Sounds like a great trip. I'd really like to make it up there for waterfowl; but I need time! Time to scout, time to get away from wife. TIME TIME TIME!!! Once my boy gets older I'm sure we'll find the time, and it'll give mom some TIME to herself!

Reactions: TinyTucky

Floki

Soak up the time with your dad. Some of us don't have that option anymore. You will NOT regret the time spent with him.

I'm impressed already. You aren't afraid to load gear and hunt wherever you find yourself. There is a lot to be said about that and plenty you are learning by doing so. Your woodsman abilities are being honed every hunt. I like it!
👊

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Heating some deer chili on the Coleman now. We did another 5.5 miles scouting and found some really really promising sign. My dad is going to hunt an oak flat mixed in with some white pines that is tore up from deer browsing, as well as a HUGE rub (huge up here, most trees that have rubs are no bigger around than your thumb). I am hunting west of where I have been on the other side of the swamp. Huge community scrape among a handful of other scrapes and rubs within 25 yds of the tree I have picked out. Plenty of oaks dropping acorns in the immediate area as well. Fingers crossed, but I am pretty excited for tonight.
6E54924A-003F-491B-B2B9-40779A0611DD.jpeg
219F6A52-066A-4D8A-83DF-8B502722AFB6.jpeg