Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Oct 30th buck

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Ok, so yesterday Oct 30th we climbed into the stand at 0615. At 0700 we heard what sounded like a horse trotting down the small hill in front of my partner. A large deer came and stood 15yds in front of my partner. All we could make out was an outline of it's body and it looked like the rack was wider than the ears. Well this deer got a free ticket because it was still to dark to shoot. This buck then walked right to my camera that is forty yards away, then continued to walk out of sight. That afternoon I checked the card on the camera to see what the deer was and we were floored. It was a perfect 10 that would easily go 150"-155". We were just sick to our stomachs.

Now we move on to 0815. I did a rattling sequence and around 0830 I saw a buck that looked to be descent walking on the down side of the hill to our east. He was approx 80yds away and heading directly towards the path we used to get up that hill. I grunted at him and he stopped right away. Stood there for a minute eating a couple acorns so I turned my back to him and grunted once more. He picked his head right up, turned 90 degrees and walked right to us. Once he came to the field edge on top the hill he noticed the decoy we had out and walked right to him. I stopped him at 25yds and put the hammer down then he ran 70yds and dropped. It was such an exciting hunt and we got the whole thing on film in HD. What really makes this cool is that this is the second year in a row I shot a buck on Oct 30th. Yeah,
Oct 30th is my new favorite day. :smiley_blink:

rrr

Nice story and deer! Do we get to see the video?

I can't get enough of this :smiley_crazy:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Awesome story and to get it on video! Priceless! Congrats on the great bowkill and goodluck to your buddy with the 10 pt.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Congrats on a dandy buck Dale. Were you hunting over a buck or a doe decoy? I thought about hauling my GlenDel target out behind the house one evening and pulling the antlers to see what happens.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Congrats on a dandy buck Dale. Were you hunting over a buck or a doe decoy? I thought about hauling my GlenDel target out behind the house one evening and pulling the antlers to see what happens.

It was a buck decoy, upwind 35yds facing us. My buck came to the rear of the decoy. Normally the more dominant bucks or even the bucks in their minds are dominant will come to the head. The bucks that are more "passive" will go to the rear. At least that has been from my experience running a decoy. Timing is everything and from what I have seen the time is now.