Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODRN to regulate coyote hunting?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How about, instead of wasting our time filling this thread with finger pointing, we somehow use the TOO platform to petition against this stupid regulation proposal? Or at least get a better answer for it’s purpose, other than “to better align with current fur bearer blah blah blah.” The open houses are coming up soon in March I think. Might be beneficial to have an organized opposition going into it. You can’t bitch about something if you don’t try to change it.

Reactions: giles

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Life is always about the money. In your home, schools, churches, politics. . .it always comes down to the dollar.

Organize? Your voice falls on deaf ears at the open houses. It has been tried more than once. It is a waste of time. They don't care what we have to say.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Organize? Your voice falls on deaf ears at the open houses. It has been tried more than once. It is a waste of time. They don't care what we have to say.
Maybe. But I can guarantee one thing... They sure as hell won’t listen to a voice that isn’t there to begin with.

Reactions: giles

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Maybe. But I can guarantee one thing... They sure as hell won’t listen to a voice that isn’t there to begin with.
Can you think of anything those meetings have accomplished (other than filling a square) in the last 10 years? I’ve never been too one personally, so I can’t say.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Can you think of anything those meetings have accomplished (other than filling a square) in the last 10 years? I’ve never been too one personally, so I can’t say.
I’m not saying a few guys go to the meetings. I’m saying a petition, if some sort, backed by The Ohio Outdoors and it’s however many thousands members. A petition that can EASILY grab the attention of both sportsmen and non-sportsmen. How many issues can you think of in the past that have the potential to affect, or perceptively affect, the non-hunting public just as much or more than sportsmen? All those suburb folks with their foo foo lap dogs... they’d eat that up and get behind it in a heartbeat.

All I’m trying to say is, complaining here about it isn’t going to accomplish anything. So if you want to be sure the final decision is out of our hands, then just stay the course.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Absolutely nothing. They were filled with people bitching about the reduction effort and bonus antlerless tags yet it happened anyway and they charged ahead. It's nothing more than a perception of listening to make people think they care. If they really cared they would do it as an open forum panel and allow people openly voice their opinion to a panel for response. They dont because they know it would be a firing squad for them. Thats why at the meetings they want you to break off 1:1 with some game warden who has shit all say in the regulation proposals.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Absolutely nothing. They were filled with people bitching about the reduction effort and bonus antlerless tags yet it happened anyway and they charged ahead. It's nothing more than a perception of listening to make people think they care. If they really cared they would do it as an open forum panel and allow people openly voice their opinion to a panel for response. They dont because they know it would be a firing squad for them. Thats why at the meetings they want you to break off 1:1 with some game warden who has shit all say in the regulation proposals.
All Wildlife Council meetings are open to the public as well... Anyone who wishes to speak has 3 minutes to voice their concerns/beliefs.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I’m not saying a few guys go to the meetings. I’m saying a petition, if some sort, backed by The Ohio Outdoors and it’s however many thousands members. A petition that can EASILY grab the attention of both sportsmen and non-sportsmen. How many issues can you think of in the past that have the potential to affect, or perceptively affect, the non-hunting public just as much or more than sportsmen? All those suburb folks with their foo foo lap dogs... they’d eat that up and get behind it in a heartbeat.

All I’m trying to say is, complaining here about it isn’t going to accomplish anything. So if you want to be sure the final decision is out of our hands, then just stay the course.

It's not a bad idea at all Jim. History has shown us however that theyre going to do what they want to do regardless of what hunters think. The voice to not drastically reduce our desr population was probably the strongest opposition from hunters they've ever heard, seen and had to deal with. Instead of addressing it honestly they engaged in a pattern of deception through misdirection and lack of information. Do you know through that whole thing they never once published county population estimates or populating goals. Unless we have tons of funds like HSUS, and the farm and insurance lobby, to donate to out state legislators campaigns there's little belief that anything of substance will be won.

With that said your idea isn't a bad one at all, this is not such a big issue like the reduction one so it's likely to gain more traction with a simple petition. It's obviously more vocal and visual than a public online forum where if they actually cared about their constituants opinions they could so easily look also.

Reactions: jagermeister

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here’s the beat answer so far. Take it up with the trappers association. And let the ODOW know your thoughts.
D4A1DEF8-EF68-43A0-8D6D-8B6290A35D8C.png
This is the text I received today.

OO2

In the Uplands
Coyote fur price is up right now so I figure OSTA would like more coyotes to be caught when they are “prime”.

Coyote hunting with call and gun seems to have really exploded recently. The posts in FB coyote hunting groups are from a lot of new guys. Most don’t seem to know the regs very well.

Limiting the time those callers could be out would probably limit the overall amount of those that do it, helping coyote population.

Reactions: Jackalope