Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Official TOO Catch Thread

Creamer

Athens
Ever seen a big fish being straight up dumb and wanting to be caught? We're fishing a small creek yesterday, and I see this bass cruising across the creek towards us. We're standing up on the bank maybe 10' from the water. My buddy in front has a lane and casts a little white bugger fly at it. The fish is coming like he's going to eat, but a damn bluegill came out of nowhere and chomped the fly. The bass swam around all jacked up, back and forth, then went below the log behind me in the pic. I flipped a crawfish fly over the log, thought the fish ate, but missed clean. Then it swam back under the log right in front of us. I casted maybe 5' ahead of it, let the fly sink, he came charging over and inhaled it. I need to find more big stupid fish.

And don't feel bad for my buddy, he caught a tank just as big (maybe bigger) 10 minutes before this happened. Sometimes you find surprises in these skinny creeks.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ever seen a big fish being straight up dumb and wanting to be caught? We're fishing a small creek yesterday, and I see this bass cruising across the creek towards us. We're standing up on the bank maybe 10' from the water. My buddy in front has a lane and casts a little white bugger fly at it. The fish is coming like he's going to eat, but a damn bluegill came out of nowhere and chomped the fly. The bass swam around all jacked up, back and forth, then went below the log behind me in the pic. I flipped a crawfish fly over the log, thought the fish ate, but missed clean. Then it swam back under the log right in front of us. I casted maybe 5' ahead of it, let the fly sink, he came charging over and inhaled it. I need to find more big stupid fish.

And don't feel bad for my buddy, he caught a tank just as big (maybe bigger) 10 minutes before this happened. Sometimes you find surprises in these skinny creeks.
That’s wild catching a large mouth that size in a creek. Smallmouth sure but large mouth? That’s a good one anytime you get it no matter where... Congrats Jeff!!

Creamer

Athens
What is that jig called?

It's actually a fly that I tie that mimics a crappie jig in a few ways. I tie it with the weight farther forward of the hook eye than a jig. That style of fly is called a "balanced" fly because it rides perfectly horizontal in the water.

I suck at naming things (mainly because I don't care) so I call this a balanced minnow.

Bowkills

Nw oh
It's actually a fly that I tie that mimics a crappie jig in a few ways. I tie it with the weight farther forward of the hook eye than a jig. That style of fly is called a "balanced" fly because it rides perfectly horizontal in the water.

I suck at naming things (mainly because I don't care) so I call this a balanced minnow.
That thing looks awsome. I thought it was a soft plastic in its mouth.

Reactions: Creamer

man thats a great looking fish right there!!

I lost a lot of good bass this year. Fishing for bass is Diffently not my year this year. A lot on my mind about everything going on is maybe why I’m having a hard time focusing....I’m always on fire slamming the hogs. I went out with my buddy to go on a boat and see if we could catch some smallies. We got to the lake at 8 and got done 430am. We went to Brookville Lake, Indiana. He caught two nice small mouth and 2 little ones. I lost 2 small mouth, one small one, and not a bad one. 2nd time fishing for smallies in my life. It has got me hooked and it was challenging. That got me going. Will go again
View attachment 107358
thats awesome man, i have yet to catch one but i hear they are a dang blast!