Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Turkey Hunting Report

TimBuckToo

I throughly enjoy the heck out of youth season. It was something I looked forward to so much as a child and now that I can take my niece and nephew out for it, it has a way of making my entire season if I don't even get a bird.

To each their own I suppose.

matthew

Wayne County
That's the stupid thing I heard. I work all week long on opening day and when I can get my boy out on a Saturday and Sunday to hunt before all the adult's educate the birds ,that's a plus .maybe peaople should stop be selfish and take a kid out

rsmith

I am going to sound like an ass hole, but I'm an educator/coach and I feel like we cater to kids to much already, most of us never had youth seasons and we still love to hunt, I feel like people fall into 1 of these 3 categories regardless of success during their youth season- love to hunt, sort of like it or don't. If parents are so concerned with youth having success take them on opening day. Not really angry about I just would like to see youth deer and turkey season disappear.
I can understand where you are coming from, in school we do cater to kids a lot then we use to. But when it comes to hunting I feel youth season should be for kids 15 and under. I feel like after that they are old enough to be able to go out on opening day like everyone else, or be able to go out alone if they have enough experience. But I don't think youth season should go away. It gives kids a 2 day advantage to be able to go out and spend quality time with another older hunter and be taught hands on without having to worry about other older hunters being around putting pressure on them to get on a bird fast. It makes it a little easier for them to shoot a bird and give them a sense of accomplishment if they can shoot one. It comes into play on public land more then private but I feel it is a very benifical thing that should be kept around to keep the growing youths passion in hunting alive.

teej89

NE PA
I throughly enjoy the heck out of youth season. It was something I looked forward to so much as a child and now that I can take my niece and nephew out for it, it has a way of making my entire season if I don't even get a bird.

To each their own I suppose.

I agree, and when I was a kid... youth deer and turkey was better than christmas morning for me!

I would strongly oppose if the ODNR ever tried to oust it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
One skirted around and went back out in the field. The others are still in the woods somewhere, I gotta get out of here soon so I can go home and get some sleep before work.

Diablo54

Outside
Henned up yesterday. Moved in on them this morning with a buddy. I had them at 40yds but he couldn't shoot so I didn't ruin his hunt. Gobbled okay until 9 am today.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
No luck today here. Looked like the landowner where we hunted had been out there last evening bush hogging and mowing. Did see a flock of 9 jakes. Definetly seeing a lot of Jake birds this yr.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Left at 10:45. Heard them gobble again in the woods going away from me. On my way out I saw them with some hens in the other field so I slipped back in and moved my blind onto a quad path that they are traveling.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm half tempted to go out tomorrow morning for a few hours. It's rough getting up at 4:45 after not getting off work until 12:30.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Frustrating start for dad and I. We split up Monday am because we felt good about two locations. Saturday and Sunday morning there were two Toms roosted in a good spot to set up on so I went there. Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 6:30am a paint brushed longbeard walked past my dads blind within 20 yards in a different spot. He watched him do it with binos. Monday rolls around and I only heard one of the two I was after gobble once on the neighboring property then get shot a few minutes later. The big Tom dad went after was no where to be found. I sat in dads blind again today for the first hour before school hoping he would be back. He was not. Love how they are consistent until the season comes in. All in the fun I guess.

rsmith

I had a Tom going off on the roost! I would call, he would gobble right back about half way through. We went back and forth about 7 times. Then I heard a woosh and he goes silent. I'm calling and waiting for him to gobble back, then boom I see him. Full strut coming into the food plot. He comes in to about 20 yards away from the blind and that's when I realize....

I wish I didn't have school in at 7:15 or I would have killed a bird this morning!!! Dadgum bird finally decided to cooperate when I was just messing around before my first class!! I'm pissed. But it was cool because my mom has never heard a turkey gobble before and she got to hear him about 5 times cause I ran inside and got her. She was as excited as I was about hearing him. It was cool though, hopefully tomorrow I can capatilize on him. It's a blessing and a curse to hunt in your property, especially when your food plot is only 160 yards behind your house. Oh well good luck everyone!