Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ohio turkey season 2011

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Lets Hear it. Counties, Tactics, Calls, throwing the kitchen sink?

Personally I'll be staying in Clark County. I'm sick of hunting Vinton County birds. I gained permission on some property in Clark that looks to be holding spring, summer, fall birds. I may head to KY for opener also right before Ohio opener.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*

Personally I'll be staying in Clark County. I'm sick of hunting Vinton County birds. I gained permission on some property in Clark that looks to be holding spring, summer, fall birds. I may head to KY for opener also right before Ohio opener.

Huh? Look at the harvest for that county. There arent any birds there.

I use to go to KY right before Ohio opener, I have access to 160 acres in Bracken County. I got tired of them hanging up on me and it cost 210 dollars and Id make one weekend of it, then it was Ohio opener. But it was nice to get away I guess.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Carroll County for the most part... but I'd really like to try to broaden my horizons this spring. There is some prime turkey real estate around here close but I have to start knocking on some doors.

I'll be going back to the usual tried-and-true tactis... aggressive jake decoy with hen decoy... mostly diaphram calling with some occasional crystal thrown in there. Last week's warm spell had me getting the turkey itch pretty good, but now with all this snow, not so much.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana

You otta come up and hunt with my buddy and I. What am I about 20 minutes away??? I guarantee you will kill one the first day.

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
I like finding vantage points. Since Clark is mostly fields I scout from the truck. I kill them like deer in a round about way. I'll scout from the last week in March until the last day of youth season. Whats worked every year is finding where they go off the roost and where they head too. Where I hunt they are in the field usually 5 minutes after fly down. I'll call and get them fired up just so I know when they are close. Its worked like a charm. I have yet to kill a bird after 7AM. I think the past 3 years have been right at 6:20-6:25.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I will be in Richland county as always, I usually hunt over decoys on the first morning for the first few hours and then go running and gunning if that don't work.

I have shot opening morning birds the last 6 years now, so I need to keep the string going.

I like to get there on the Saturday morning before season opens and scout around the areas for 2 mornings prior to the opener..... I have had great luck by finding toms a day or 2 ahead of season and hunting those areas where they are travelling. It seems they will be in the same immediate area on the first day of the season if they don't get disturbed by youth hunters.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
My mom and I will be in Meigs or Athens county the first morning doing the same thing Gern said, hunting over decoys. I hope to get to hunt some in Washington county also. Last year she got to shoot her first coyote our first morning out and to be honest, I think she enjoyed that as much as killing a bird.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
My dad and i have a few spots in vinton and athens county, hopefully i wont wait till the last week to get one this year..i'm also gonna try to get a kill on video.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Ill be pitching a wall tent with 2 of my buddies and we will hunt the WNF for the 1st week of the season..Its a week of bird. morel and shed huntin.

JD..You extending that invitation to anyone?

rrr

Gern, did I read that right? Richland County? If so, we'll have to have a late breakfast if you've got time while you're in my stomping ground!

I'll be hunting Morrow County.

JPN

coshocton
Ill be hunting Coshocton county. My go to call is an H.S. raspy old hen mouth call, but this year Im also going to try out some mouth calls I made myself. Decoys, I usually use a jake and a hen. Ocassionally Ill put out the strutter but I haven't had much luck with it yet.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I am pumped up to hunt birds.... Already got a new decoy cornered and a couple of calls. Ready to go gettum....going to try bow this year at least for 1 bird...i will be hunting everywhere:smiley_bril:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You otta come up and hunt with my buddy and I. What am I about 20 minutes away??? I guarantee you will kill one the first day.

How could a man resist an offer like that. lol.. I'll definitely let you know.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Whats the trick with mouth calls, I tried to use one for about a month before season last year while I was driving and stuff, and I jsut couldnt get it down. the slate call i work very well, never got a response but it sounds right LOL

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Gern, did I read that right? Richland County? If so, we'll have to have a late breakfast if you've got time while you're in my stomping ground!

I'll be hunting Morrow County.

Correctomundo Ernie.......I will be set up down there for about 5-6 days. We cook out every night around the camper and usually do a lot of fishing also, great times!

Whereabouts are you located in Richland county.....near what towns?

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I have my honey holes in Morrow County. I manage to take 2, 25 to 27 pounders every year out of them in the spring and a jake in the fall. I think this year I may take some new blood in to help thin things out a little. Killing 3 birds a year out of these flocks is not enough.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
rgecko, some people NEVER get the hang of a mouth call. I have hunted turkeys from the beginning in ohio, and still can not use a mouth call. Get good with a slate and a box and you will do just as good as the next guy.