Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Operation coyote necktie.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Had one knocked down and the bait has been messed with by something capable of tearing flesh from bone. Went another 30 yards on the trail with the knockdown and set another one.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hey Joe how did you have that snare in the last pic set up? Was it attached to the fence post or earth anchored?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hey Joe how did you have that snare in the last pic set up? Was it attached to the fence post or earth anchored?
Yep wired to the tree. All I could find was 14ga wire so I doubled it up and twisted it. Slip the wire through the swivel and around the tree. Give it a couple twists then use pliers to twist it until it's tight on the tree. If you make it long enough you can use the free tag end of the wire to also support the snare. I twist the two tag ends really good then clip off about an inch of one to slide in the support collar of the snare.

I use the other tag end tjat looks like a bunny ear to hold the slack snare cable to the tree. The slack cable tends to try and twist your loop out of position or tries to droop back in front of your snare. As windy as it gets here in the corn flats I wanted them to be a little more secure from shifting around.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I had a hard time finding wire also. 11 ga has to be ordered. We called all over columbus looking for it and nothing was in stock.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
You could try some coyote piss and see if that makes them investigate. They are running now so that added scent might make come in

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep wired to the tree. All I could find was 14ga wire so I doubled it up and twisted it. Slip the wire through the swivel and around the tree. Give it a couple twists then use pliers to twist it until it's tight on the tree. If you make it long enough you can use the free tag end of the wire to also support the snare. I twist the two tag ends really good then clip off about an inch of one to slide in the support collar of the snare.

I use the other tag end tjat looks like a bunny ear to hold the slack snare cable to the tree. The slack cable tends to try and twist your loop out of position or tries to droop back in front of your snare. As windy as it gets here in the corn flats I wanted them to be a little more secure from shifting around.
Oh gotcha... Didn't realize it was a tree and not a fence post lol. Thanks for the info. I was just curious how it was rigged up. I have no clue how strong a coyote is so I wasn't sure if just wiring a snare to a fixed object is enough to hold one or not.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thanks guys. What an absolute blast. Its a small female. Hope that big male roles back through