Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Operation coyote necktie.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You guys actually kill stuff over here? How cool is that!
Oh we kill stuff alright. Hell we love killing stuff so much we had a guy set a snare line for mice in his garage. Mouse snaring! Now that's some dedication to the art of making stuff dead.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Pulled my sets the weekend before last as I wouldn't have time to run them last week. I set them back out Sunday and noticed yotes had been eating the carcasses.

I had one bust the anchor wire today and take off with the snare. It was anchored to a tree about the size of a baseball bat. I use 14 ga wire and double it up then twist it to form a single strand. I put that through the swivel and wrap it around the tree then twist the tag ends with pliers until it's tight to the tree. The area around the snare wasn't hardly messed up at all. And there's plenty to tangle on in that spot. The tree it was anchored too wasnt even that skinned up. It looks like somethin just gave it one hell of a yank and snapped that twisted wire.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pulled my sets the weekend before last as I wouldn't have time to run them last week. I set them back out Sunday and noticed yotes had been eating the carcasses.

I had one bust the anchor wire today and take off with the snare. It was anchored to a tree about the size of a baseball bat. I use 14 ga wire and double it up then twist it to form a single strand. I put that through the swivel and wrap it around the tree then twist the tag ends with pliers until it's tight to the tree. The area around the snare wasn't hardly messed up at all. And there's plenty to tangle on in that spot. The tree it was anchored too wasnt even that skinned up. It looks like somethin just gave it one hell of a yank and snapped that twisted wire.
Deer perhaps?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Deer perhaps?
While I hate the thought of it that's a possibility. Worse so that whatever it was has a snare cinched tight that its wearing until it kills it. Pretty shitty way to die. There aren't many deer in this small Woodlot but it could have been.

I was reading on trapper man and it said an adult coyote can generate 300 lbs of pulling force so it could be a big male also.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
While I hate the thought of it that's a possibility. Worse so that whatever it was has a snare cinched tight that its wearing until it kills it. Pretty shitty way to die. There aren't many deer in this small Woodlot but it could have been.

I was reading on trapper man and it said an adult coyote can generate 300 lbs of pulling force so it could be a big male also.
Yea... Sucks either way. That'd be one big ass coyote.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

I'd say it was a deer. There would have to be signs of struggle if it was a yote.