Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Operation coyote necktie.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wonder if something was running and caught it. I would think that'd be enough force to snap it.
I just looked and that tie wire has a 375 lbs breaking weight. And I had it doubled and twisted like rope. So 750 lbs of force. Had to be a deer.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That's why I don't trust wire as an anchor. If your going to anchor to a tree you might as well use a quick connect or split rings.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Wire works good for me.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
If ya do it right a yote will never get outta wire.
But have seen em chew right through cable. Lol
I'm sure it does hold if done right, I just don't trust it. Especially when it takes less time to put a quick connect on and wrap it around the tree.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think the problem was simply the number 14 wire. Everyone says to use number 9 but all I could find locally was 14 so I doubled it and twisted. I do think think anchoring with wire is a bad thing as long as it's tightly secure and not used as an extension.

OO2

In the Uplands
More than likely. I'm using #14 till it runs out and have been doubling it up similar to you. No issues yet (knock on wood)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
More than likely. I'm using #14 till it runs out and have been doubling it up similar to you. No issues yet (knock on wood)
One thing I thought of was after I twist it around itself on the tree I take my pliers and grab the twist to tighten it more. I'm thinking that's not a good idea because how much ever force it is tightened down by is that much less he has to pull before snapping it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Better to not put it too tight against the tree,ya want it to be able to swivel around .
# 11 wire is about perfect fugg bending that #9 wire. Lol
I've been using 9 wire. Strong shit, but what a pain in the ass to bend! Lol

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I tried #9 wire and fugg that! It was free and I still quit using it. I believe you can weaken your wire by twisting too tight. If using #14 to tie, I use it X4 at least.