Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Physical Asset Investments.

Stressless

Keene, OH
I think one of the biggest things people overlook for long term financial security is simply staying out of debt, i.e. keep debt to a minimum. for most of us our home is the single biggest investment we ever make. the sooner you own your home, the more financially secure you are. sure we have other retirement investments, but we paid off our house last October and it only took us 15 years. was nice to be "out of debt" for the first time in my life. with more disposable income to work with, I considered the same things as you. precious metals, coins, guns, etc. I came to the realization that land made the most sense as it will serve a dual purpose. a solid place to hunt and another investment in our future that won't be much affected by the markets. so I went out and signed my life away again on Monday. we closed on 65 acres of recreational land in Licking county. has good, marketable timber, excellent thick cover, enough tillable acreage to remain in CAUV, obscene deer numbers, turkeys, too. I won't ever lose money on this chunk of ground. and there was a 180" deer killed on the property. at least that's what the listing said. if times get tough, I can always lease it to out of state trophy deer hunters. ;)
100% agree on the value of hard assets in land.

@Jamie - two things, your new farm is 65 acres, so You meet the >10 acres for CAUV also if you create an WSMP you meet the CAUV requirment, see this discussion (https://theohiooutdoors.com/threads/tsi-forestry-equip.27531/page-3#post-797546) you don't need the Ag tillable acreage as your "Crop" are the trees. That allows you to move, if you want to, the tillable Ag into productive wildlife habitat, more trees etc... . Just a thought as my farm is 100% in CAUV with the WSMP and crop trees.

Reactions: Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
I would love to do that, but the 10 tillable acres I have are the AEP easement under a high voltage transmission line. I’d rather it be planted in grain than have AEP do whatever the want to it whenever they want. Nothing will ever be allowed to grow there for more than a year or two.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I would love to do that, but the 10 tillable acres I have are the AEP easement under a high voltage transmission line. I’d rather it be planted in grain than have AEP do whatever the want to it whenever they want. Nothing will ever be allowed to grow there for more than a year or two.
Jamie, I’d inquire when they’re going to replace the towers. It’ll give you some insight on what may come your way. Just talked to the tree company contractor that Duke uses. They’re replacing the towers that run through and over our driveway. Can’t get them too commit on the exact date other than soon.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Transmission lines cross crop fields all over the US.
Yep. I’ve got First Energy high tension lines and towers running across my farm. 150-ft wide easement. Been farmed for 50 years. And now I’ve got two spankin new CREP wetlands inside their right of way. Only thing I can’t do is plant trees within the easement.

Reactions: giles

Jamie

Ohio
Transmission lines cross crop fields all over the US.
What I’m saying is that the only reason there is tillable acreage there is because it is their easement. I cannot manage that 10 acres in any meaningful way as habitat. Letting A local farmer plant row crops keeps me in CAUV and requires no effort on my part at all. My property could qualify for the commercial timber management if I were willing to do all of the work required for the program.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Crypto is facing its day of reckoning....will be interesting to see if it rebounds in next 12 months.

1655325259782.png

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm wondering if it is time to buy? Not "now", but as it carves out a bottom. There is blood in the water. Everyone is jumping in the life boats. Bet the sharks are eating though. No matter what the market does, "someone" is making money. Just doesn't happen to be crypto owners based on the chart. Lol

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm wondering if it is time to buy? Not "now", but as it carves out a bottom. There is blood in the water. Everyone is jumping in the life boats. Bet the sharks are eating though. No matter what the market does, "someone" is making money. Just doesn't happen to be crypto owners based on the chart. Lol
Right. I’m wishing I would’ve pulled some more out a couple weeks ago, but at the same time I’m considering throwing more in. I don’t feel like “right now” is the right time though. It doesn’t feel like we’re at a bottom yet to me.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Right. I’m wishing I would’ve pulled some more out a couple weeks ago, but at the same time I’m considering throwing more in. I don’t feel like “right now” is the right time though. It doesn’t feel like we’re at a bottom yet to me.
Nobody times the top or bottom perfectly. Can't just buy on the first upswing either (usually.) Almost need to let it bounce a couple times and see some steady climbing back up. Without some fancy computer tracking things, we are guessing. Even the big money with big money programs to track things are guessing.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The bottom is still on the horizon. I can tell you guys I did talk to my "insider" today and they're not scared in the least. In fact, like I've seen from ultra-successful oil and gas guys, they're pouring the coals to it right now. Those with conviction believe now is the time when empires are built and I've seen that be true in the patch. Companies with a strong cash position and the stomach can make hay right now and what I heard today is that they're making it as fast as they can. This is primarily on the Bitcoin side, which in their opinion, has enough market saturation to survive this collapse. While others are scared off, those who continue to forge ahead, can carve out enough of the market to sustain themselves over the long run.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The bottom is still on the horizon. I can tell you guys I did talk to my "insider" today and they're not scared in the least. In fact, like I've seen from ultra-successful oil and gas guys, they're pouring the coals to it right now. Those with conviction believe now is the time when empires are built and I've seen that be true in the patch. Companies with a strong cash position and the stomach can make hay right now and what I heard today is that they're making it as fast as they can. This is primarily on the Bitcoin side, which in their opinion, has enough market saturation to survive this collapse. While others are scared off, those who continue to forge ahead, can carve out enough of the market to sustain themselves over the long run.

I agree. Despite setbacks, Bitcoin isn't going anywhere.

Buckmaster

Portage
Anna is in it to win her early retirement. She has invested my first $500 and will be applying her 10% income via dollar cost averaging toward her investment goal toward Rule 72. She learned some valuable insights yesterday despite just turning 17.

Reactions: hickslawns