Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

POW! Went the gun

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
This should perhaps be posted within the 'LFTS' thread, but it will also provide perhaps a little more context of the setup location I've been huntin since Sunday.

Okay, while hanging my deer last night, I heard the coyotes at the gut pile already carrying on.

That shot I put on that deer yesterday was at 70 yards and dropped upon impact and died instantly straight out within the cut section of the CRP field. The gut pile is right there where he hit the ground.

That's why I'm back in the same stand this mornin. To get some redemption on the big coyote I missed yesterday mornin at 90 yards.

I get to my stand on time and just fine this mornin.

Pointed arrow - bedded deerz right now. White dot was is where both earlier bucks and coyotes left the area headed East. Green dot is where I saw deerz, which I believe is where those same bucks went, going into hardwoods and one of them might have got shot.
20211201_072559.jpg

At 6:40 a.m., during the 28 degree frosty foggy darkness, I see two deerz that I believe are good bucks through my thermal scope coming off the South Ridge to the SW and step into the CRP field roughly 110 yards away.

Both slow walking roughly 20 yards within the field headed East. One leading the other with a gap between them of about 50 yards.

20211201_073656.jpg

As the one continued to head East, I watched the second one stop at a major tree rub just within the field. Both tree rubs located on a 8-10" diameter tree. They are huge tree rubs. He rubbed a bit, then scraped a bit and finally pissed right there at that location, then continued his march East.

As the first left the field through the SE corner, the second trotted towards the first to catch up to him. Both headed towards the other 20 acre CRP field just to the East, on the other side of the separating hedgerow.

15 minute later, 7:00 a.m., I witnessed a pair of coyotes enter the field through the same SE corner. They stayed in that corner, circling around and finally left back out through the same corner, headed East, perhaps tracing the steps of those two previous deerz. I was hoping they'd head to my gut pile though, but didn't.

15 minutes after that, I see a deer or deerz on the far side of the 20 acre East CRP field, headed towards and into the hardwoods area.

15 minutes after that, 7:30 a.m., a single shot rang out coming from that direction where those deerz were headed to.

Right now, I currently have a deer or deerz bedded right next to me, to the East, roughly 40-50 yards away, within the same major bedding area that the buck I shot yesterday came out of just 30 yards away at last light.

No more deerz seen yet and no more shots heard either - 8:20 a.m. EDIT: scratch that, two more deerz and one shot, which was me.

I've got 4 in a half minutes worth of video of the two deerz first thing, and a minutes worth of the pair of coyotes in the corner pocket, SE of me at 165 yards away. All that data becomes apart of my digital scouting collection for future reference.

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
AND WAIT! THERE'S MORE!!

Looks like I got a 'TOO'fer!

A two for one deal and he too DID NOT go 20!

A dead head right where the button piled up just yards from impact.

He will be a real good eater and the deadhead is a deer that I recognize. May have to go through some of my TC data and get his pic to put with him.

20211201_083302.jpg

Got to go gather him up now,

No more big gun. It's back to the bow now, and then the muzzleloader in January.

Big gun will get cleaned up later this afternoon and put away until next year.

Two more tags to be filled and I'll be all done for my deer season. Each location can handle the reduction.

In the meantime, I'll be dialing in my new 'Yote Eliminator' and get that all ready. May even get out and do a few sets here real soon.

C-y'all later, and good luck to those that are out today. It's a beautiful morning for hunting!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
That deadhead deer has not been seen in quite some time. He was a great looking little deer too, just a munchkin of a body though. He had a real super small body which made his rack look absolutely huge, and appears to have been somewhat mature as well. I have no idea what ever happened to him, and it did look like he's been dead for a while. I would not put it past any of the coyotes or the bobcats we have around here. That is why I hunt them damn coyotes as much as I do, plus it's a whole lot of super fun too!

These are some of the many earlier TC captures of the munchkin 8 pointer, now currently the deadhead deer, which was found among his bones where the button crashed earlier this morning.
WGI_1427.JPG

20211201_105035.jpg
20211201_104916.jpg