Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Products that really work

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I have had luck with the Primos Can as well. My only beef with it is the way it "winds down" at the end, sounds like a doe is being shaken as it bleats.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I have had luck with the Primos Can as well. My only beef with it is the way it "winds down" at the end, sounds like a doe is being shaken as it bleats.

Yep and it seems like any bit of moisture gets in the can and you might as well throw it in the trash. I seem to have to get a new one at the beginning of every season. Moisture is the only explanation I can come up with.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm not a big fan of the primos can. It's sounds "ok," but you really don't have much versatility with it. For bleats, I like to use a H.S. Tru Talker... you can get those drawn out doe and fawn bleats, while still having the ability to change pitch, length, and volume. I've called in several while bleating with the Tru Talker, but have only called in a couple with the Primos can.

One product I really like are those reflective wire ties made by H.S. They basically look like bread bag ties, but they are reflective on one side and orange on the other. I bought a shit-ton at Wally World 2 yrs ago for like 50 cents a pack. They are great for marking trails because you can twist them onto any branch, without the need for pressing in tacks. And if you need to you can twist a few together end-to-end in order to make something "more reflective." They're cheap, easy to use, take up virtually no space, and they work incredibly well... I don't leave home without them.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
One product I really like are those reflective wire ties made by H.S. They basically look like bread bag ties, but they are reflective on one side and orange on the other. I bought a shit-ton at Wally World 2 yrs ago for like 50 cents a pack. They are great for marking trails because you can twist them onto any branch, without the need for pressing in tacks. And if you need to you can twist a few together end-to-end in order to make something "more reflective." They're cheap, easy to use, take up virtually no space, and they work incredibly well... I don't leave home without them.

Those are great for hunting property where you don't have to worry about others. There is one farm I hunt where another hunter uses those to mark all his stuff. Two years ago, I wandered on to two of his setups by following those markers.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Those are great for hunting property where you don't have to worry about others. There is one farm I hunt where another hunter uses those to mark all his stuff. Two years ago, I wandered on to two of his setups by following those markers.

Shine a light at WNF and it looks like coonie the Christmas elf has been there. Bright eyes everywhere.

BTW.. I have that power supply.. I need to get that fugger in the mail to you. My bad. :(

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Shine a light at WNF and it looks like coonie the Christmas elf has been there. Bright eyes everywhere.

BTW.. I have that power supply.. I need to get that fugger in the mail to you. My bad. :(

See them up on the AEP Rec. Lands all the time.

No hurry on the power supply, I have a desktop computer also.

tuffshot

The Crew
So far the scent smoker seems to be topping the list. Not a lot of others with repeatability.

How about underarmor, is it worth the money.
I bout Damart insulated undies years ago and they seemed to work pretty good but were more expencive than the everyday undies.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Scent Smoker
Thunder Head .125's
Thermacell
Cat eyes hat bill clip light
Those thumb tack glow things (technical term) have some thta have been in for a couple of years and still work.
Primos bleat can (smaller bucks are suckers)
HS Safety harness (w/pockets) best money ever spent in that dept.

Thing about grunt calls are those things always fall apart on me... Go to use them and they are in pieces, is it just me???? Nothing worse then going to use them and having to assemble them, really sucks when a bucks in sight lol. And I have had quite a few differant brands over the years...

bowhunthardin

I recently started using the Doyle huntin Hoist. I absolutly love it. No more sitting under the tree in the dark trying to get the tangles out of your pull rope. Everyone should own one.

deerburger

*Supporting Member*
+3 on the thermacell. That thing is magic even on a muggy morning on Florida. Also, wetfire tender does what it says and lights with a spark even when wet.

rrr

Under Armour (though the tights are not as warm as they should be)
Scent Smoker
A nice berber fleece from Cabela's

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I just bought a can cuz I've heard great reports about it. If it can eliminate skunk piss odor from a saturated cotton ball it has to be good.:smile:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thing about grunt calls are those things always fall apart on me... Go to use them and they are in pieces, is it just me????

Not just you. Had the same issues. For awhile there it seemed I was doing reviews on grunt tubes I had bought and tried so many. Since I bought my True Talker, I have not bought another grunt tube. Realistic sounds and ability to vary the tone and pitch. Best grunt tube I have used. Spend the extra money and buy the one with the video. I think the video is pretty decent too.

Scent Smoker. +++

Guess I need to find a Doyle Huntin' Hoist. I hate untangling the mess from my pull ropes while hanging off a tree. Thanks bowhunthardin.

This is more "post-hunt" related, but I am a fan of the Food Saver for sealing up processed meat.