Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Products that really work

Diablo54

Outside
Thermacell, predator camo has been goot to me, A good light makes you feel better when your coming out of the stand, My climber is a major part of my hunting I wouldn't know what to do with out it. Lone wolf Climber

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I recently started using the Doyle huntin Hoist. I absolutly love it. No more sitting under the tree in the dark trying to get the tangles out of your pull rope. Everyone should own one.

I agree there! I can't count how many times i've sat at the base of my tree almost in tears pissed off with a junk tangled pull-up rope!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
THIS IS A GOOD THREAD.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have a suggestion for a really good filet knife that'll hold an edge for a long time and is easily resharpened. My $6 wallyworld special with the blue plastic handle has been doing fine, but I'd like to upgrade.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
THIS IS A GOOD THREAD.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have a suggestion for a really good filet knife that'll hold an edge for a long time and is easily resharpened. My $6 wallyworld special with the blue plastic handle has been doing fine, but I'd like to upgrade.

I've had good luck with my Rapala filet knife. It holds an edge pretty well, considering it's less than 20 bucks at Walmart. I've put mine through a hell of a lot of use since I use it on fish AND butchering deer. I just picked up a folding filet knife made by Outdoor Edge. The other knives they sell are all pretty awesome, but this new filet/boning knife doesn't seem to hold an edge very well IMO.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've got a pretty slick method for wrapping up your pull rope so that it won't knot up. I'll see if I can't find a video of it, or do one up myself. Pretty simple really, and I haven't had problems with it since I started doing it.

Buckmaster

Portage
Field dressing gloves
Thermacell
Rage 2 blade and Slick Tricks
My Buck Roar grunt tube

The Rapala knife with the wooden handle at Walmart holds their edge the best.
I like the little 4" blade version the best. That $ 15 knife beats those $ 80 ones.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've got a pretty slick method for wrapping up your pull rope so that it won't knot up. I'll see if I can't find a video of it, or do one up myself. Pretty simple really, and I haven't had problems with it since I started doing it.

Please do. I have a mental disorder that prevents me from using my bow rope if it has a knot in it.... Call it a superstition, ritual, or some OCD.. But i can't have knots in my bow rope.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Please do. I have a mental disorder that prevents me from using my bow rope if it has a knot in it.... Call it a superstition, ritual, or some OCD.. But i can't have knots in my bow rope.

LOL I think i'm diagnosed with the same issue, I swear I spent 20 minutes the other evening sitting at the base of my tree getting knots out of my string, praying the whole time that a deer would not come in!

I thought about getting a tennis ball or something and wrapping it up tight like a ball of yarn, but then it takes up a lot of room in my pack.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio

I don't think it's just you buddy. I pulled my rope out of my pack the other day and it was all knotted up. I tossed it back in my pack and slung the bow over my shoulder and up the sticks I went lol.

On my climber on the other hand I have a sweet setup. Down at the BEC shoot my number was pulled for the raffle and Jesse pointed me to a little bow holder that clamps to my stand called the Bow Hitch. The other half of the setup is attached to my bow where the stabilizer attach's so I just put my bow in the holder and up I go. Thanks Jesse :D

Here is my list:
Scent Smoker
Bow Hitch
Thunderhead 100gr. 3 blade BH

I just bought a can cuz I've heard great reports about it. If it can eliminate skunk piss odor from a saturated cotton ball it has to be good.:smile:

In un biased lab testing The primos got 2nd out of 10 or 12 diff kinds..The scent away got 1st place..This was tested on lab grown human body odor.They was ranked according to the amount of bacteria killed..As to effectiveness on other non body odors i dont know..I try an keep all the non human odors off my gear..gas,food odors etc.,.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have one knot in my rope, it's my index mark to know where to tie it on the bow to allow it to stand straight up without resting on or leaning against anything. Perfect landing everytime....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have one knot in my rope, it's my index mark to know where to tie it on the bow to allow it to stand straight up without resting on or leaning against anything. Perfect landing everytime....

Don't tie. If it's a small diameter rope like 550 cord; just wedge the rope between the string and the cam where they meet. Works like a charm. ;)

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I can't find a video here at work, but it is this simple, Take the end you leave at ground level, and hold on to it. Around your pinky and your thumb, do a figure eight pattern until you have 8" of rope left, wrap a couple wraps around the wound up cord and you are done. When you are ready to use it, just pull out the ground end and it will unravel perfectly.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I could go on and on here. Maybe a Top 10 is in order!!! :D In no particular order...

Thermacell
Boot Dryer
Under Armour
Easton Arrows
Realtree Camo
Lone Wolf Sticks
Millennium Stands
Stanislowski Releases
GamePlan Gear Bow Bat XL
GamePlan Gear Treestand Transportation System

I have about 30 more, but those are the 10 things I have the most faith in and/or am most appreciative of...

Somehow I forgot the smoker. And my Primos Bowhunter Vest. The smoker is probably No. 1 on my list. Small oversight on my part!!!

Last edited:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Scent smoker is a must plain and simple.

I really like my Primos bow hunting vest. I can put almost anything I need hunting in there and have it ready to go.

As far as all the other gear I use there isn't really anything that sticks out into my head. Everything I have i have had for a while and still works good.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I have to add my Realtree Bowhanger on there, I hate going to the woods without it, and a step just doesn't get the bow out away from the tree far enough. My model also has three little hooks that you can put your range finder/bino/call/etc. on.