Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Random weather thread

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Eye wall currently on top of beach resort in Fort Myers we are supposed to be at in 2wks. to celebrate 15yrs.....prolly not lol. Hope all TOO family and friends stay safe.

View attachment 162496

Yeah you may want to go ahead and cancel that, it's done for. If the resort or hotel gives you issues check with your credit card for cancellation coverage / trip insurance.

This is the lani kai in Ft Myers. The cam is 11 feet off the ground and catching waves.

1664386490294.png

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My brother just finished working on a place he bought in April in Punta Gorda. He figures it will be destroyed today, hope he is wrong.

I do too. I's hard to say as there are a ton of factors. Build codes when it was built, other buildings and vegitation around as a wind buffer, base flood elevation, If they had time to get shutters up etc. Even something as simple as which direction the garage doors face, once a door is lost wind gets in the garage and lifts the ceiling / roof. Once the roof is compromised it's usually pretty bad after that. I hope he fairs well being further inland.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
My youngest brother, Russ, has been texting me the play-by-plays from inside his home of what he sees outside at Port Charlotte. Lots of debris is flying all over place currently with sustained 115-130mph winds. His home will be well inside the eye of the hurricane within the next two hours. So far, all is good with him and his home at the moment.

The white solid circle is where his home is.

20220928_152856.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Stressless

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ive got a buddy from the military that's a fireman in Punta Gorda. He's at his firehouse for the storm and aftermath. Can't even imagine. Thoughts are with him and his fellow first responders

I hope they're doing ok. Puta Gorda is getting slammed by the back eye wall

Stressless

Keene, OH
Its a giant sucking sound - areas in High pressure next to a extreme low gets sucked into the storm vortex, I'm to the NW, about 330 miles from Ian. We're right in the middle of the high and have 22kt sustained being pulled into it - not normal at all. Kinda wild to witness.

In a very small way it feels like being shot at and missed when you had nothing at all to do with it.

Looking to the ESE at the NW side of Ian from the Gulf Islands National Seashore. That blue is not enhanced.

There will be folks that will see the Milky Way in the next week or so that never saw it before. Folks that never been without streetlights and house lights and other night light pollution. It'll unnerve them in those built up areas.
20220928_165612.jpg

View attachment 162530

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's a giant sucking sound - areas in High pressure next to a extreme low gets sucked into the storm vortex, I'm to the NW, about 330 miles from Ian. We're right in the middle of the high and have 22kt sustained being pulled into it - not normal at all. Kinda wild to witness.

In a very small way it feels like being shot at and missed when you had nothing at all to do with it.

Looking to the ESE at the NW side of Ian from the Gulf Islands National Seashore. That blue is not enhanced.

There will be folks that will see the Milky Way in the next week or so that never saw it before. Folks that never been without streetlights and house lights and other night light pollution. It'll unnerve them in those built up areas.
View attachment 162528

View attachment 162530

It's surreal for sure. Bluebird day here with 15 mph winds. High of 80 with a low of 61 this morning.

It's strange to know that something as simple as a cool front likely saved us here but caused someone else massive destruction. That front pushed the hurricane to turn east really far down in the Gulf. A week earlier and it likely would have hit the panhandle, La, Ms, or Al.

The smell of ozone here today around 4 was almost noxious. Almost like after a big lightning storm but way stronger.

Screenshot_20220928-190557_Ventusky.jpg

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
UGH, our place is totally gone. Boat is still there and the truck is dented up some I guess. Most of the park is leveled.
Hopefully no one was injured.
A buddies brother was doing everything he could too hold his place down. His truck and work van both had trees bounce off of them.
He was up in Ohio last weekend fishing with his brother. Probably should’ve just stayed the week. 😳