Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sgt Fury’s 2020 NJ and Ohio deer season

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
A372433F-D8D5-4943-A53C-2800C9FC8CA3.jpeg

This is why I travel to Ohio every year....these are the two biggest bucks at my bow spot. May have better ones at my gun spots but that’s TBD.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Well, I got raped by a squirrel! Had 10 does on the pile and the tall 8 point I’m after comes strolling in. He fed on the pile for more than 30 minutes in the only spot I can’t shoot! There is a small hole to shoot through but there are many small branches in the way. I figured sooner or later he would move left and offer a shot. 85% of the pile is shootable and that bastard refused to leave that one small spot. Well, a squirrel climbed the tree I was in, set up shop about a foot above my head and started screaming. Half the deer scattered, the buck goes on alert, and I make the decision to force the shot through the small hole. At the shot, deer exploded everywhere. I went to check for blood and my bolt was stuck in the ground well below where the buck was standing....zero blood. I checked for blood around the area just to make sure but I’m almost positive one of those small branches diverted my bolt and it landed at its feet. I got out and vacated the area, hopefully they aren’t sure what that loud noise was and he’ll be back.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
View attachment 110604View attachment 110605
No shortage of does though...the one in the second pic has a very light coat compared to the others...

Too many does equals not enough bucks. After the young spike hangs around the next year she will run him out of the country. Gods way of keeping interbreeding from happening. The theory is to shoot the doe w twins and that young buck will make your area his home range. You have plenty doe and hardly any fawns which is a result of over population. Usually mature does will have twins if the habitat can support it.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Too many does equals not enough bucks. After the young spike hangs around the next year she will run him out of the country. Gods way of keeping interbreeding from happening. The theory is to shoot the doe w twins and that young buck will make your area his home range. You have plenty doe and hardly any fawns which is a result of over population. Usually mature does will have twins if the habitat can support it.
Plenty of fawns too....most does have one or two tagging along. This zone I’m hunting only allows one buck and one doe per season...the other zone I hunt allows multiple does and one buck per season. (Bow, extended bow, black powder, six day firearm, doe days and winter bow). You can kill six bucks and dozens of does during the entire length of the hunting season...but the state bangs you $28 per permit and another $28 per buck tag.

Reactions: triple_duece

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
28$ a deer is dirt cheap. All that money you spend on a man cave and you choking on a 28$ permit? [emoji2373]