Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sgt Fury’s 2022 Ohio/NJ seasons

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
B152DA89-1F5A-4DDD-A0BE-A207C1CF4FE9.jpeg
2E4EE0CC-7DA8-448B-8318-DC0633192466.jpeg
AB383FB6-796D-4CCA-A3F6-E55316E395A3.jpeg
3E651449-8A9A-4F5E-9875-885AEF8944FE.jpeg
7CF960F9-8330-4E50-B037-4FE3DC392B14.jpeg

This is how my 2022 season is starting. I found my neighbor had placed a double ladder stand 20 yards from my property line, facing my land and shooting lanes cut out to my property. Just spent the last two days marking the property line, putting in posts, putting up a fence and lots of no trespassing signs. I will finish Placing metal ties on the posts tomorrow. They can still shoot a deer over the fence but will have to walk to the back of the fence to come onto my property to recover the deer…and there are now five cameras (including 2 cellular) all covering that area and each other. I’m friends with the warden and he’s already been advised that I may be contacting him with pics of trespassers this upcoming season. There are certain violations in NJ that if you get two within a ten year period, you’ll lose your license for lifetime….trespassing is one of those violations. And to think I gave him a deer last December and helped him this past fall putting up a fence for his goats and sheep. No good deed goes unpunished.😡

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Forgot to mention that the ladder stand they placed is also only 30 yards from my stand. That’s not cool in my book. Whenever I scout and find someone’s stand, I leave the area and look elsewhere. They own 25 acres and there are spots near the back of their property that would be great stand locations.
Educate them?

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
They may just leave it there and kill deer when they hop the fence. I’d imagine that fence won’t be much of a deterrent for deer but hopefully it keeps your neighbors off the property! Good like with it Fury.
The deer hardly ever travel in that direction. They almost always travel to and from the back corners of my property. The neighbor set up their ladder stand facing my property and my bait area. I have no doubt they were planning on shooting a deer on my land then tracking it across my property to the neighbor on my left (who doesn’t hunt and allows me on his property). The deer bed on his place so I leave it alone as a sanctuary. Even when the fence wasn’t there, I rarely saw deer travel toward that area…so I doubt they’ll spend the energy to jump it (I know they easily could) when they usually travel near the back anyways. The fence is more of a deterrent for the trespassing neighbor.

Bigcountry40

Forgot to mention that the ladder stand they placed is also only 30 yards from my stand. That’s not cool in my book. Whenever I scout and find someone’s stand, I leave the area and look elsewhere. They own 25 acres and there are spots near the back of their property that would be great stand locations.
I would probably be as mad as you if this happened to me, but just to play devils advocate- lets say that the main travel corridor of the deer was basically the property line, and you have an established ladder stand on your property that is off the property line 50 yards, and the that neighbor follows suit doing the same thing on his. Is this still unethical to you with this set of variables I just created, do you think a landowner should hunt a less productive peice of his own property because you put a tree stand up on your property first? I'd be interested in knowing what many of you think.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I would probably be as mad as you if this happened to me, but just to play devils advocate- lets say that the main travel corridor of the deer was basically the property line, and you have an established ladder stand on your property that is off the property line 50 yards, and the that neighbor follows suit doing the same thing on his. Is this still unethical to you with this set of variables I just created, do you think a landowner should hunt a less productive peice of his own property because you put a tree stand up on your property first? I'd be interested in knowing what many of you think.
The spot in the back of his property is probably better than mine….and I’d be willing to put my stand there and let him take over mine. That’s how much better I think that spot is. It’s on the edge of a huge field that gets planted with corn every year, and right next to a ten acre hay field. I told him where I’d place a stand and instead of listening to me, he put a stand right next to mine AND he’s hunting over my bait! The stand at the back of his property is also much easier to get to then the stand he placed near mine. I truly believe he’s just a slob hunter….too lazy/cheap to bait his own stand. He also has zero background cover. These deer are living in between houses and see people every day! They are smart. Those deer will pick him off way before they get into range. He’s also too close to a house. My stand is 475’ away (the law says I have to be 450’) and his is only 400’. The lady in that house made it very clear that she doesn’t mind me tracking a deer onto her property (phone call to let her know first) but she also doesn’t want me any closer than 450’. They can’t legally gun hunt there but they still can bow hunt. Most houses in that development have 3.5-4 acres. The houses are close to the road and the deer run the wood lines behind all of the houses. You can’t hunt in the development because you have to be 450’ from a occupied dwelling for gun and 150’ for bow. That’s why I have so many deer at my place and it’s not uncommon to see over 40 per sit. I just see it as a slap in the face to setup on my bait pile when you have 25 acres that butts up to a field. That field is where all of the deer that travel through my property are headed. He could get them coming and going to feed every day. My wife (who doesn’t hunt) walked back to see the fence when I finished it and even she could tell by the stand placement and cut shooting lanes that they were definitely planning on shooting deer on my property. I’m hoping that once he sees the fence and posted signs, that he’ll finally take the advise given earlier and go place the stand at the spot where the woods meets the field. Don’t want to be a Debbie Downer but shit like this is common in Jersey. I had a guy (on state land) put his bait on top of my existing bait and plug a stand up 15 yards from mine. Also had the balls to put a note inside a sandwich bag telling me that HE was hunting this spot on opening day….but that is a story to be shared around a campfire with a few beers.😂

Reactions: finelyshedded

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
These situations suck. When we had our Athens county property a sketchy character bought 9 acres of hillside that bordered us. At first he thought that gave him access to 109 acres. That was cleared up immediately. But he proceeded to put stands and blinds about every 50 yards along the border. I would Make it a point to walk this edge every so often to run his day. I can’t control what he does on his place, but I can sure ruin his day from mine. He accused me of trespassing on my own property. That didn’t end well for him. He’s one of the many reasons we sold that place.

Bigcountry40

The spot in the back of his property is probably better than mine….and I’d be willing to put my stand there and let him take over mine. That’s how much better I think that spot is. It’s on the edge of a huge field that gets planted with corn every year, and right next to a ten acre hay field. I told him where I’d place a stand and instead of listening to me, he put a stand right next to mine AND he’s hunting over my bait! The stand at the back of his property is also much easier to get to then the stand he placed near mine. I truly believe he’s just a slob hunter….too lazy/cheap to bait his own stand. He also has zero background cover. These deer are living in between houses and see people every day! They are smart. Those deer will pick him off way before they get into range. He’s also too close to a house. My stand is 475’ away (the law says I have to be 450’) and his is only 400’. The lady in that house made it very clear that she doesn’t mind me tracking a deer onto her property (phone call to let her know first) but she also doesn’t want me any closer than 450’. They can’t legally gun hunt there but they still can bow hunt. Most houses in that development have 3.5-4 acres. The houses are close to the road and the deer run the wood lines behind all of the houses. You can’t hunt in the development because you have to be 450’ from a occupied dwelling for gun and 150’ for bow. That’s why I have so many deer at my place and it’s not uncommon to see over 40 per sit. I just see it as a slap in the face to setup on my bait pile when you have 25 acres that butts up to a field. That field is where all of the deer that travel through my property are headed. He could get them coming and going to feed every day. My wife (who doesn’t hunt) walked back to see the fence when I finished it and even she could tell by the stand placement and cut shooting lanes that they were definitely planning on shooting deer on my property. I’m hoping that once he sees the fence and posted signs, that he’ll finally take the advise given earlier and go place the stand at the spot where the woods meets the field. Don’t want to be a Debbie Downer but shit like this is common in Jersey. I had a guy (on state land) put his bait on top of my existing bait and plug a stand up 15 yards from mine. Also had the balls to put a note inside a sandwich bag telling me that HE was hunting this spot on opening day….but that is a story to be shared around a campfire with a few beers.😂
The dude definitely sounds like a slob hunter, I remember you telling the story about the note on another thread, I’ve almost bought property a few times (in Michigan) but often wonder if it’s truly worth the head aches/stress sometimes when you have bad neighbors (it’s obviously worth it)

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
View attachment 149236
If the cuttings/trimming from their trees are on your property- call the sherif make the first complaint, get'er on the books. If it only takes two, make sure the sherif makes contact as both instances will be in the blotter, in your favor.
Unfortunately trees/branches thrown on my property doesn’t confirm trespassing…they need to be caught in the act or on trailcam. I now have trailcams in that area. I do have trailcam pics of them on my property but the pics are two years old. At the time I didn’t know it was them as they were living there for a year before I ever met them. (Our house is secluded). Didn’t want to start off on the wrong foot so I tried to be a good neighbor but it’s not going to work out. The people who lived there before were awesome…at least the husband was. He came over a few times a week for coffee and would often invite us over for cookouts. When he passed, his wife sold the place and moved to New England.

Bigcountry40

These situations suck. When we had our Athens county property a sketchy character bought 9 acres of hillside that bordered us. At first he thought that gave him access to 109 acres. That was cleared up immediately. But he proceeded to put stands and blinds about every 50 yards along the border. I would Make it a point to walk this edge every so often to run his day. I can’t control what he does on his place, but I can sure ruin his day from mine. He accused me of trespassing on my own property. That didn’t end well for him. He’s one of the many reasons we sold that place.
How far off the border was he ?