Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

SHOUT OUT TO STACHE!

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I was informed that Rick was on here telling lies and felt the need to bring me from the depths.
I’m humbled rick you felt compelled to bring this to the forefront. I will see if I can put a short 12 hour story together for you guys. It’s not easy for me as I’m a storyteller not a writer.
And thank you for the kind comments everyone.

JOHNROHIO

I’m finally back to work after being on the run for a couple weeks. What better time to see if I can give you guys an extremely condensed version, as there is no way this story could be expressed in this format, and would be best told.

JOHNROHIO

The night 11/9 my wife had gotten ahold of me asking if I would be able to make it back home to take care of some general house keeping items. I had been on the run for a week or so at this point and more than willing to.
Arriving home sometime the next day, I chose to hang out with the family that day and the following, with the decision weighing on whether to burn back south Monday, or to find a chunk to hunt local and make my decision from there. With not wanting to miss a morning hunt I had chosen to stay local.

JOHNROHIO

11-12, I still hadn’t made my mind up on if I was going back south or just ride out the next couple days at home. My plan was to go in make a morning hunt and reevaluate.

I had chosen to slip into a tree that I had seen a real nice deer fondling a doe that had been hot a couple weeks prior in October. I had also seen the buck I ended up harvesting and a few others in this area. The plan was just thatand nothing else. No gear, nothing stand on my back bow in my hand and a pair of bibs strapped to that.

I had hung my stand and settled in by 0615 hanging my vest and bibs on my top sticks till l had cooled down. It was 25* that morning and I think the high was gonna be 35, With no intention of sitting all day.

JOHNROHIO

Somewhere around 0730 to my right my attention had been caught, pulling up my binos I could see a buck staring further into the woods. In short order I got a glimpse of a doe streaking through the woods with a better buck in tow , both on a dead run into a hay field. It was a deer that I already said if I were to see him again he wasn’t getting another pass.

(I had passed this buck the first time that I had seen him with regret! He had presented me multiple shots in October at 8 yds. I’m always good for watching deer walk away that I should shoot, plus I seem to like pain and suffering.)

She had tucked into a fence row 150 yds across from me, he was keeping an eye on her as he would walk up and down the down wind side of the fence keeping her in check. Hethen went into the cluster with her disappearing for 10 min. I knew that they were still there even though I couldn’t see them as the subordinate buck was bedded in the field facing them, which would be bedding the wrong way into the wind.

As I sat there contemplating getting down and making a move on them as everything was perfect for it except, one thing. The subordinate would pick me off.